Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Pumpa
Enthusiast
Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-500
Paperwhite 2 Diags

i flashed diags from KPW1 to kpw2 via fastboot, but it is not compatible
do you have anyone original kpw2 diags and diags-kernel image from 5.4.0 ? Thanks all.
Filip
Pumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpa View Post
i flashed diags from KPW1 to kpw2 via fastboot, but it is not compatible
do you have anyone original kpw2 diags and diags-kernel image from 5.4.0 ? Thanks all.
Filip
Send it back as 'broke'

If they ask what you did to it, just say it seemed a good idea at the time:

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Pumpa
Enthusiast
Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

The unit working fine except diags I wanted to do a backup partitions for repairing (mainkernel, etc...).
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The unit working fine except diags I wanted to do a backup partitions for repairing (mainkernel, etc...).
Tell them you thought it was a Sony PRS-500.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Pumpa
Enthusiast

I don't want the new one I just need partition images for repairing PW2 kindles for feature. If anyone could help how to get these images, i will be pleased I soldered serial port so i have access to fastboot, uboot and bist. Unfortunately old diags image with ssh and know login/password for KPW1 doesn't work with new paperwhite. For all , don't try it Sooner or later images will be available from local linux kindle guru. So i can help with testing some risk things, i have no problem with the dead unit Thx.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I don't want the new one I just need partition images for repairing PW2 kindles for feature. If anyone could help how to get these images, i will be pleased I soldered serial port so i have access to fastboot, uboot and bist. Unfortunately old diags image with ssh and know login/password for KPW1 doesn't work with new paperwhite. For all , don't try it Sooner or later images will be available from local linux kindle guru. So i can help with testing some risk things, i have no problem with the dead unit Thx.
The main partition's password for 'root' has been locked for a long time now.

You need to switch to your diag partition to get in, just like on the K5-touch.

You did back-up your Kpw2's diag partition before you over-wrote, right?
So just reload it, no reason to use any image other than the one that comes with your Kpw2.

If the diags partition does not work - return it.
You don't have to tell them anything, it is still under the 30 day - no questions asked - warranty period.

Send this one back!
It does not matter if you want a new one or not -
If you want a working diags image, send this one back.

Nobody in their right mind would give you a copy of the diags image with their device specific information in it for the purpose of 'repairing' Kindles in the future.
Your current track record in this thread sort of speaks for itself.

And do read the manual jailbreaking procedures for earlier devices before you trash the next one.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Pumpa
Enthusiast

I did not backup original diags partition (i dont know how, anyone ?) I can get new kpw2 and do it. I'm not customer but repairing man repaired a lot of kindles > hundreds, so question isn't aboutreturn/exchange, etc..., i don't care about it. I can grab this partitions for everyone when can i get it how to do that without root access.

diags partition does not have any sensitive information as you know. there are stored in prod partition or on beginning of mmc0.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I did not backup original diags partition (i dont know how, anyone ?) I can get new kpw2 and do it. I'm not customer but repairing man repaired a lot of kindles > hundreds, so question isn't aboutreturn/exchange, etc..., i don't care about it. I can grab this partitions for everyone when can i get it how to do that without root access.

diags partition does not have any sensitive information as you know. there are stored in prod partition or on beginning of mmc0.
Read the threads on the manual jailbreaking methods used for earlier devices. In particular, the Kindle-Touch.

We have stopped giving lab126 descriptions of the things they have missed on this public web site.
There is another place for that, read this site a bit, you will find it.

If you are in the business of repairing Kindles, then invest in one for your own toolbox.
Use copies of your own images for your work.
And then use the new Kindle for spare parts.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Pumpa
Enthusiast

ok, i have own images but for old device including paperwhite 1st edition. THx.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Pumpa:

You should always do backups before you overwrite something. Always. As you have probably noticed, that will save you from a lot of troubles.

Anyway, the procedure to backup the diags partition on the PW2 is exactly the same as on the previous models: perform a dd dump of the /dev/mmcblk0p2 partition. To backup the diags kernel, run geekmaster's getkernels script.

If you only overwrote the diags partition, but not the kernel, then you can use the image here (that's npoland's dump). If you also overwrote the kernel, then you're out of luck, or have to ask someone with a PW2 to provide it to you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Pumpa
Enthusiast

@ixtab: Thank you for usefull post, unfortunately i replaced kernel too
I can get new kpw2 device for backup again, but i don't know how to run dd command without root access. I always use only modified diags part with known login/pwd (thanks to modders). Then i can backup everything. I hope someone grab original kernel or first 32MB of mmcblk0. Please send me PM if it is forbidden to public. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

You really really need to read the directions that Geekmaster wrote.
All your questions are answered there.
Yes they are. Really.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
@ixtab: Thank you for usefull post, unfortunately i replaced kernel too
I can get new kpw2 device for backup again, but i don't know how to run dd command without root access.
Well, you managed to overwrite the partition somehow, via serial cable I assume... instead of typing the command to overwrite it, type the command to back it up
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #14
Pumpa
Enthusiast

i do that via fastboot.
hmm i found the painful way via bist and uboot i try that thx.

Last edited by Pumpa; 10-27-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Pumpa
Enthusiast

I got it via bist, thx. Now i have both kernels...