Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
KindleMama
KindleMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Odd Issue Adding Books to My Fire

Hoping someone can help...there are a few eBooks I have that I had Calibre send to my Kindle via USB. Trouble is, the files REFUSE to show up in the "book" section, they only show up in the "Documents" section.

Even when I tried to manually copy the files to the "Books" folder in Windows Explorer, they still only show up in the "Documents" section.

Any advice?
KindleMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMama View Post
Hoping someone can help...there are a few eBooks I have that I had Calibre send to my Kindle via USB. Trouble is, the files REFUSE to show up in the "book" section, they only show up in the "Documents" section.

Even when I tried to manually copy the files to the "Books" folder in Windows Explorer, they still only show up in the "Documents" section.

Any advice?
It's a tag issue. You need to remove the pdoc tag. You can do this by reconverting and make sure to remove pdoc tag under mobi options in Calibre.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's a tag issue. You need to remove the pdoc tag. You can do this by reconverting and make sure to remove pdoc tag under mobi options in Calibre.
Blossom, I deleted pdoc after you posted this. I am hoping when I email to my amazon account it will go in books this way. Will it do you know?

Also if I were to store calibre books to dropbox how do you load the books when calibre makes a .jpeg file and the book and metadata.opf (whatever that is). How do you do it?

Also do you mark old or new version for conversion to Mobi? Or both?
Thanks

Last edited by new; 10-21-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: remembered name
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Blossom, I deleted pdoc after you posted this. I am hoping when I email to my amazon account it will go in books this way. Will it do you know?

Also if I were to store calibre books to dropbox how do you load the books when calibre makes a .jpeg file and the book and metadata.opf (whatever that is). How do you do it?

Thanks
Emailing a book will cause it to go into Documents. The only way to get them into Books is to sideload it. You ca do this via USB, LAN or a cloud service like Dropbox. Anything other than USB the Kindle Fire must be restarted in order for the books to show up.

I save to disk from Calibre my Kindle books on my dropbox. I then use the Dropbox app to put them on the Kindle Fire.

I'm not sure I understand the last question.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
KindleMama
KindleMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thanks, Blossom! That worked perfectly! I was so confused there for a while!
KindleMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Thanks
In Calibre when you convert you have the option of creating a standard format mobi file (old), an azw3 format file (new), or both formats included in the file (both) this last category also nearly doubles the size of the file for obvious reasons. I'm not the best to explain the difference, but my understanding is that the 'old' format can be viewed on all kindles, the azw3 'new' format (also called KF8) has more expansive font and formating abilities but can only be read on newer generation kindles, and that when your device tries to read a file containing both, it will pick the one best suited to it. I also understand that Amazon does not support emailing of azw3 formats at this time.
As I have an older kindle (and a Fire) and don't really care about special formating in my books, I convert my books to the 'old' format.
I hope this helps. If something is inaccurate in what I said, I'd love someone to clarify.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
In Calibre when you convert you have the option of creating a standard format mobi file (old), an azw3 format file (new), or both formats included in the file (both) this last category also nearly doubles the size of the file for obvious reasons. I'm not the best to explain the difference, but my understanding is that the 'old' format can be viewed on all kindles, the azw3 'new' format (also called KF8) has more expansive font and formating abilities but can only be read on newer generation kindles, and that when your device tries to read a file containing both, it will pick the one best suited to it. I also understand that Amazon does not support emailing of azw3 formats at this time.
As I have an older kindle (and a Fire) and don't really care about special formating in my books, I convert my books to the 'old' format.
I hope this helps. If something is inaccurate in what I said, I'd love someone to clarify.

Not to mention the new format has that line bug. I got a book the other day downloaded it to the Kindle and the line spacing was like 3 lines on even the smallest settings. I really hope Amazon fixes this someday.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not to mention the new format has that line bug. I got a book the other day downloaded it to the Kindle and the line spacing was like 3 lines on even the smallest settings. I really hope Amazon fixes this someday.
Okay thanks everyone. SO I put back to old.

Now I just decided not to use emailing to Amazon, or dropbox, I have too large of a library and deleted them all. Now I plugged in my Kindle DX (USB) to Calibre and it shows transfer to device and all went well.

Now I plugged in the Kindle Fire HD and nothing!!! I have unplugged and plugged, and changed my preferences to Kindle Fire HD. My Kindle Fire HD does not show up on Calibre. I did download the Android File Transfer for Mac, and I was so frustrated. It shows numbers for books, so I can't understand what to transfer. YUCK.

Help please.

Last edited by new; 10-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Now I plugged in the Kindle Fire HD and nothing!!! I have unplugged and plugged, and changed my preferences to Kindle Fire HD. My Kindle Fire HD does not show up on Calibre. I did download the Android File Transfer for Mac, and I was so frustrated. It shows numbers for books, so I can't understand what to transfer. YUCK.

Help please.
Sorry, can't help you with a Mac.... I would recommend posting in the Calibre forum.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote