Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
techie6
techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nook HD +

I pre-ordered the Nook HD+ today. The only think I don't like is that there is no camera. Other than that, I don't have a problem with the device. It's great and it's cheaper than an iPad although I will have to wait until B&N decides to place a camera in it!
techie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Good thing that users can use a larger part of the meory out of the box than previous models!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The hardware sounds nice.

Unfortunately these sound like they'll be like every other Nook and be locked up tight to B&N who lacks for content. I'm still kinda pissed that they put out an update for the Nook Tab after the fact that took away the ability to sideload apps. The Nook video store could be a good thing and I think linking it to Ultraviolet was a good move for B&N as people won't "feel" as locked in (except for movies from studios like Disney that don't do UV).

EDIT: Just looked at their appstore and it looks a lot better than it used to.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-26-2012 at 12:47 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Hmmmm, does anybody else think they look pretty... ugly? The white one reminds me of either a) those cheap kids tablets on the market, or b) the original, 2-screen, chunky Nook. And what is up with the hole on the bigger one? If B&N is going to commit to having a "design signature" on their product line... then it needs to be on every product in the line! Why put the hole on the big one and not the small one? And why does it look different from the hole on the older Nook tablets? And why is it there at all???

Ok, I'll stop now. The specs look good, the price looks great (as far as I know), and I wish B&N well, so I can keep taking my daughter to their actual store in my neighborhood.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie6 View Post
The only think I don't like is that there is no camera.
I think this is a weakness even though I haven't really used the camera on my Nexus 7.

The problem I see with not having a camera is that these nooks can not become the center of people's digital world. If someone has a nook, they will still need a second device to do video chatting, or use an app that BN doesn't offer.

I only really use three gadgets, my phone, the Nexus 7 and my rooted nook simple touch. And I'm a gadget fiend. I can't imagine normal people carrying a nook HD and an iPad, why not just carry the iPad.

I think it's a delicate line for BN to walk. They want to create a unique reading experience, but at the same time they need to make a device that is easy for people to choose and use as the center of their digital world.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The Nook hardware looks great! I appreciate that it has an SD card. Amazon really should've included that with their Kindle Fire line.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It certainly isn't "1:5". That would be ridiculously long and narrow - like a stick .
Oops! You're right, 1.5 is the height divided by the width. That would make it 1.5 to 1, or 3:2.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I love this head to head competition.

Everyone wins!
Yup, love this!

I am completely happy with my Nexus 7, but I loved my Nook Color before it. As for being "locked in" to an ecosystem, while it is currently not for me, it is probably a good thing for my mother whom I think would be overwhelmed with the full Android experience. I'm shipping her my old NookColor to play around with until she is able to try out & pick up one of these new models.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Hmmmm, does anybody else think they look pretty... ugly? The white one reminds me of either a) those cheap kids tablets on the market, or b) the original, 2-screen, chunky Nook. And what is up with the hole on the bigger one? If B&N is going to commit to having a "design signature" on their product line... then it needs to be on every product in the line! Why put the hole on the big one and not the small one? And why does it look different from the hole on the older Nook tablets? And why is it there at all???

Ok, I'll stop now. The specs look good, the price looks great (as far as I know), and I wish B&N well, so I can keep taking my daughter to their actual store in my neighborhood.

eP
I'd hazard a guess that these tablets are made from two different manufacturers that they rebadged, at least the one with no Signature Nook-Hole. Looks like a chinese tablet.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #25
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
The Nook hardware looks great! I appreciate that it has an SD card. Amazon really should've included that with their Kindle Fire line.
I don't know I would say I stream at least 80 percent of the Content on the fire, and there's enough space offered to put non streaming stuff. I really like the amazon tablets I did'nt think I would but I do, its gonna be my go to tablet for media, as I have my Music and books on the amazon cloud, My video comes from Prime, Netflix and Plex , My Books once again from the cloud and sideloaded.

I'll use the Nexus 7 primarily for games where its the best tab out there
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Those look really good.

Hope that we may see some rooting action on them.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
They lost me at "proprietary connector."

The 1:5 aspect ratio is interesting, though, as it is kind of a straddle between 4:3 for reading and 16:9 for video.
The 7" is 16:10, the 9" is 15:10 (3:2).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
yes
agree very much

why different aspect ratios?

Last edited by tango7; 09-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
I do not need to upgrade... I do not need to upgrade...
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
I do not need to upgrade... I do not need to upgrade...
be brave
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote