Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Murphy
Murphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Problem with MOBI files on Cybook Gen3- unexpected reboots

Help! Initially all seemed fine, but now having problems. Have tried on 2 computers with same thing happening. I use Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 and mobi/prc. Some books that I send to my Cybook load OK but when I read them and get last few pages Cybook reboots and it is impossible to access the last 5-10 pages. Try Go to last page on Cybook contents menu and Cybook reboots! Have tried this with a number of books, some work and some do not. Have re-installed v08 but this did not solve it. No changes to my Cybook.
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved out of 0.8 congratulations thread into its own thread. Please open new threads for new problems

I've sometimes seen similar behaviour with my ePub firmware Cybook. I was (mostly) able to fix this by either changing conversion options and reconverting or fixing some offending HTML inside the ePub.
What this boils down to is that it is most probably due to a faulty conversion source and almost certainly not due to a Calibre bug, though to be sure, you'd have to look at the MOBI file(s). If you're converting, what format are you converting from?
You could try asking in the MOBI forum section.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Murphy

Thank you Manichean. Sorry for putting it in wrong place.

The books all worked OK before I upgraded to ver 0.8
I am not comfortabe with trying to do anything with HTML.
There were .prc format - no conversion needed
I will look in Mobi forum but for now would prefer to revert to previous version of Calibre - if I knew how to do that - can you tell me where to find instruction on this?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just to be sure: You previously loaded the books onto the device, with no conversion, using a 0.7.x version of Calibre, and they worked? And you reloaded them, again with no conversion, using 0.8.0, and they were broken?

Downgrading is generally not recommended, nor is it officially supported. There are, sometimes, database changes that break compatability with previous versions.
If you want to downgrade, however, you can find all previous versions of Calibre on the projects' Sourceforge page. Be sure to uninstall Calibre (this won't touch your settings or your library) before reinstalling an older version. You should also bear in mind that this can potentially break things. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you downgrade, you can't help any developers asking for additional info, so the bug, if it is one, may not be found.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Some Mobi and LIT do that on my PEz
(Probably something in the file it chokes on. Being Mobi, it is hard to see with the tools I have)
That is why I switched to EPUB. At least I have tools to dig into the problem
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Murphy

Yes, previously downloaded with no conversion an worked in Calibre 0.7x versions.
However, just to complicate matters further, the books work fine in the ereader in Calibre and in mobireader.
I tried re-formatting my cybook card and re-installing that in case something funny had happened with that, but no difference. Some books work ok, others re-boot at last few pages.
Well, I have just found a solution. Some .prc books needs to be run through Calibre convert to mobi format. Then delete the prc version from Calibre library. Then send it to Cybook. Then it works! Weird!
But never had this problem before v0.8
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to MOBI output in 0.80 compared to 0.7.58
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote