Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
arightenour22
arightenour22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is the Nook HD the one for me?

I am looking to get a new ereader soon, but I wanted to hear from those who have more experience when it comes to purchasing an ereader.

My main purpose is reading, but a little web browsing here and there and movies.

So far I am leaning towards a Nook HD+. I heard that the resolution is great and the fact that it has expandable memory is a huge plus for me! I am also interested in the Kobo Arc. I am not familiar with that brand, but I hear it has more features and a better app store selection.

I am wondering how good it is for reading comics. I know it is LCD, but is the glare really that bad? I mainly read in doors and at night. So it's kind of a pain to have a light on while trying to read my Sony Reader. Every now and then I would take it with me on road trips and such.

Since this would be my first e reader purchase (the Sony Reader was given to me) I want to make sure I am getting the best for my money.

Last edited by arightenour22; 04-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
arightenour22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you can live with B&N's lock-in or are willing to root or run a custom rom the HD+ is really nice hardware. Comics, magazines and movies look wonderful on the HD+'s screen. That said, I've got one that's pretty much sat unused since it came out (it was sent to me for reviewing) first because I'm not much of an LCD reader, preferring eInk (although I read a little on my Nexus 7) and second because I can't install the apps I want to (the Nook app store is pretty limited) unless I either root, run a custom rom or mess around to load using adb and I'm tired of having to do stuff like that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
arightenour22

Thank you and yes, so far that seems to be the only downside. I know there are limited apps, but I use my iPhone for those everyday apps like FaceBook and Twitter. I will prolly get Netflix on there for streaming videos, but it will mainly be used for reading. I read a little about rooting as well. Is it really possible to do that on an external card, that way the original software is untouched?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by arightenour22 View Post
Is it really possible to do that on an external card, that way the original software is untouched?
That would be a custom ROM, not rooting. You can either buy a card from someplace like N2A or make your own (it's not too hard). Basically the custom ROM completely replaces B&N's OS and gives you a stock Android tablet with Google Play and access to all the various reading apps. The HD+'s hardware is top notch so this isn't a bad option if you find yourself too limited with the stock OS (it's what I'll probably do if I ever get around to it).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why a tablet? A desktop is certainly able to do all that however they are not real portable. How about a laptop, they can do that as well, not as portable as a tablet but certainly more portable then a desktop.

Why is a tablet the right thing for you? I do not think that you have asked that question yet.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
arightenour22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That would be a custom ROM, not rooting. You can either buy a card from someplace like N2A or make your own (it's not too hard). Basically the custom ROM completely replaces B&N's OS and gives you a stock Android tablet with Google Play and access to all the various reading apps. The HD+'s hardware is top notch so this isn't a bad option if you find yourself too limited with the stock OS (it's what I'll probably do if I ever get around to it).
Oh ok I see now. I may have to look into that. Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
arightenour22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Why a tablet? A desktop is certainly able to do all that however they are not real portable. How about a laptop, they can do that as well, not as portable as a tablet but certainly more portable then a desktop.

Why is a tablet the right thing for you? I do not think that you have asked that question yet.
I am looking for a device that will hold all my books. I am really into reading now and I am just checking out all the different types of ereaders. I have an old PC laptop, but the battery is dead so it has to stay charged all the time. And I have a iMac desktop which I do my work from. My friend gave me her old Sony Reader and I have been reading my ebooks from it. It's great for traveling, and since all my hard copy books are in storage this really makes things a lot easier having all my books in one place. I am just looking to upgrade from the Sony. The screen is ok, but I would prefer a bigger one, and I like reading at night so I would like it to have a back lit screen as well.

Tags
comics, glare, lcd, nook hd+