Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Exclamation EPUBs Missing, Entries Remain???

Just the facts: I keep tripping over entries in my library with an "epub" format listed, but the only things in the folder are the cover and metadata file. I learn this fact by getting "No compatible/convertible format" errors on various operations, then checking with "open containing folder."

Question: Why is this happening?

Long version: I noticed this problem the first and only time I tried using Calibre to send files to a device. Several files popped up with "no compatible format found" errors (paraphrase). All the ones I noticed were files I'd personally imported via "add books," so there definitely was an EPUB file to begin with. At the time, six months ago, I was in a time crunch setting up a device for someone else and decided to just live without those books. No plugins were installed at that time.

Today I was adding books (much of my library is not yet in Calibre, nor is it otherwise organized) and just happened to discover some more MIA files by running the Count Pages plugin. Of the 900ish books that don't yet have page counts, 223 are empty folders

I'm running Count Pages on my entire current library (5000ish epubs) to see if any files have gone missing since the last time I took a page count, so I'll report back if that gives me a different number. The only way I can see to correct this issue with the problem files is use the list that Count Pages kicks out, individually track down each original epub on my hard drive, and manually drop a copy into the Calibre folders.

So what do you think? I don't know whether Calibre is mysteriously deleting books it copies, or never copying some books during big import jobs. So far I cannot find one commonality among all the books that are missing, though sometimes several from the same author or series will be missing.

ETA: Count Pages confirms only 223 missing epubs in my whole library, which seems to support the skipped imports theory.

Last edited by taosaur; 06-10-2012 at 03:46 AM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About all I've been able to turn up is that all but a handful of the AWOL files came from my first two big imports. The initial import was a pre-existing Calibre library, so it's possible it was missing some of the files from the get-go. I manually replaced the files in the few titles on my TBR list and deleted the rest. The holes will likely get filled as I continue to work through my files.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Just the facts: I keep tripping over entries in my library with an "epub" format listed, but the only things in the folder are the cover and metadata file. I learn this fact by getting "No compatible/convertible format" errors on various operations, then checking with "open containing folder."

Question: Why is this happening?

Long version: I noticed this problem the first and only time I tried using Calibre to send files to a device. Several files popped up with "no compatible format found" errors (paraphrase). All the ones I noticed were files I'd personally imported via "add books," so there definitely was an EPUB file to begin with. At the time, six months ago, I was in a time crunch setting up a device for someone else and decided to just live without those books. No plugins were installed at that time.

Today I was adding books (much of my library is not yet in Calibre, nor is it otherwise organized) and just happened to discover some more MIA files by running the Count Pages plugin. Of the 900ish books that don't yet have page counts, 223 are empty folders

I'm running Count Pages on my entire current library (5000ish epubs) to see if any files have gone missing since the last time I took a page count, so I'll report back if that gives me a different number. The only way I can see to correct this issue with the problem files is use the list that Count Pages kicks out, individually track down each original epub on my hard drive, and manually drop a copy into the Calibre folders.

So what do you think? I don't know whether Calibre is mysteriously deleting books it copies, or never copying some books during big import jobs. So far I cannot find one commonality among all the books that are missing, though sometimes several from the same author or series will be missing.

ETA: Count Pages confirms only 223 missing epubs in my whole library, which seems to support the skipped imports theory.
RUN (now! ) the Library Maintenance (right-click the Library Icon)

That will report all discrepancies between what the DB has recorded and what still exists.
Improper/un-planned shutdowns can leave files waiting to be written, in cache (Write behind cache is one of the first things I disable. All files must get written before the user gets to do more. yes there is a performance hit, but I have my data )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
RUN (now! ) the Library Maintenance (right-click the Library Icon)

That will report all discrepancies between what the DB has recorded and what still exists.
Improper/un-planned shutdowns can leave files waiting to be written, in cache (Write behind cache is one of the first things I disable. All files must get written before the user gets to do more. yes there is a performance hit, but I have my data )
Where do I disable Write behind cache?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like a likely suspect. Still, I'm thinking I'd rather just make a point of leaving Calibre open for a while after big imports rather than take the multitasking hit.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Where do I disable Write behind cache?
On XP (other windows should be similar) BTW this mainly applies to internal drives. You should always use the 'Quick removal' for any drive that can be unplugged or powered OFF seperate from the computer. Cat help happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	write cache.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	87569  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
On XP (other windows should be similar) BTW this mainly applies to internal drives. You should always use the 'Quick removal' for any drive that can be unplugged or powered OFF seperate from the computer. Cat help happens.
Interesting; that isn't an option on Vista for C: drive.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Interesting; that isn't an option on Vista for C: drive.
Let me that for you.

Same options, just a slight difference in getting there. This is a HW setting option.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never ever encountered issues relating to data not being written to a drive; I really think that suggesting disabling of write-through caching on internal hard drives is masking other issues and not solving anything.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've never ever encountered issues relating to data not being written to a drive; I really think that suggesting disabling of write-through caching on internal hard drives is masking other issues and not solving anything.
Write Behind Cache is where the Write really has not completed (usually caused by slow devices)
Write Through Cache just leaves a copy in cache (not needed in a normal Save) for faster reads.