Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, if you don't want to download the kepub books, take everything out of "I'm Reading" on the kobobooks.com website and then connect by WiFi or over USB with the desktop. Actually, if you use the USB-desktop combo, you can just keep clicking "skip" when it tries to load kepubs onto your reader.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #32
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
What is this "Kobo sketch" people speak of?
Its like an etch a sketch for kids. Basically you take a finger or stylus (some of us have stylus bought for the touch use) and you can create works of Kobo art, or in my case very bad stick figures. You can then save your creations for download to the computer or to view on your your device later.

Any way its an effort at some fun by the KOBO Dudes.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #33
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
How does one get the upgraded firmware? I have a touch but use Calibre for my library.

Thanks John
theres a link here where you can download it.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...rade-1.9.6.zip

Mind you I would recommend the desktop that way you know its done correctly
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
theres a link here where you can download it.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...rade-1.9.6.zip

Mind you I would recommend the desktop that way you know its done correctly
Well Desktop 2.0.3 just hosed my USB drivers for the Kobo Touch
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I see we still can't highlight text in sideloaded epubs (or send it to Facebook). Funny, I thought that would be included automatically if the dictionary thing was fixed. Oh well, the dictionary was definitely a higher priority.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #36
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I see we still can't highlight text in sideloaded epubs (or send it to Facebook). Funny, I thought that would be included automatically if the dictionary thing was fixed. Oh well, the dictionary was definitely a higher priority.
Extending other features to sideloaded ePubs is also coming soon.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #37
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm so far not a great fan of the adjustable line height. It's ok when it works, but in some books, it behaves very badly, (an example I have is a book where the Chapter headers line touch and overlap a bit, but the paragraph text has huge gaps between lines wasting over half the screen space.) Of course, I've always fixed books with bad line spacing directly, the abilit to adjust that with a slider is no doubt the best thing since sliced bread for people who can't. It just needs tuning for the corner cases where it goes kooky. I'm having trouble isolating the causes of malfunction, however.

Edit: In the light of a new day and slight lowered expectations, the 'problem', or inconsistency, is not nearly as bad as my earlier impression.

Last edited by rashkae; 07-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #38
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've noticed that where some epubs have specified a different style for part of the text (like an introductory paragraph), it may not be affected by the Kobo Touch format options that affect the normal text. I can understand why that happens, and I'm not sure that it would be an easy problem to solve in a way that's satisfactory for everyone. After all, the text is formatted differently for a reason by the original designer - if Kobo overrides that, an important style distinction may be lost. A "smart" format override that tries to preserve some differences while adjusting others is likely to go wrong in some cases and provoke complaints.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
Well Desktop 2.0.3 just hosed my USB drivers for the Kobo Touch
Thats a windows issue. It happens and it is not just the Kobo that happens to I had issues with my iphone for the exact same thing. It turned out to be caused by a bad installation.

Go to your kobo directory you will find the USB drivers there you can reload them that way.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Thats a windows issue. It happens and it is not just the Kobo that happens to I had issues with my iphone for the exact same thing. It turned out to be caused by a bad installation.

Go to your kobo directory you will find the USB drivers there you can reload them that way.
The drivers have *never* install properly on my machine (Win7 X64 Enterprise). The install package always errored at installing libusb0.dll, which I ignored and it always worked.

Install 2.0.3 and the Touch would show as removable drives, with nothing in them. Uninstall 2.0.3 and the Kobo would show up properly.

What I did was grab the uninstall log, install Kobo Desktop, and then run the usb driver uninstall command that was in the log. Kobo Touch works perfect.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #41
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
The drivers have *never* install properly on my machine (Win7 X64 Enterprise). The install package always errored at installing libusb0.dll, which I ignored and it always worked.

Install 2.0.3 and the Touch would show as removable drives, with nothing in them. Uninstall 2.0.3 and the Kobo would show up properly.

What I did was grab the uninstall log, install Kobo Desktop, and then run the usb driver uninstall command that was in the log. Kobo Touch works perfect.
I actually starteted to have the same problem with the previous generation of the software for the kobo wifi (windows 7 32bit HomePrem at the time); the install package also hung at libusb0.dll, but as you said, the software itself always worked after creating a shortcut to the exe and I really never had any issues with it. My wife's machine had no such problems, nor did our laptop, all running the same os and all maintained relatively the same (if I did maintenance on one, I did it on all).

The problem went away once I did my yearly windows re-install, but that said, despite the error message, the software did indeed work fine for me at the time.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #42
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
We are investigating the driver issue. Could you attach the log file.

Last edited by MDK; 07-15-2011 at 11:32 AM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Send me a Kobo Touch and I'll happily help test the install of Kobo Desktop.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #44
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Edit: italics work properly on my side loaded fonts and they are all in the fonts folder
So you have separate font files (e.g. Garamond-Regular.otf, Garamond-Italic.otf, Garamond-Bold.otf) all in the same directory? Sounds like they're just relying on the fonts being properly tagged then. This'll work in most cases, but I've come across some fonts (including some rather expensive commercial ones) that aren't.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #45
IamARobot
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
We are investigating the driver issue. Could you attach the log file.
Are you talking about an install log? I'm not seeing one.

For the uninstall, I just copied the details from the uninstaller.

Let me know where it is and I have no problems posting it (or reinstalling as necessary to create it)