Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
purchasing a replacment screen?

Is it possible to purchase a replacment screen myself? It would cost about $200.00 to send back to bookeen, not sure its worth that, but if i could get a screen from the States & replace myself.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to check on ebay and see if you can find a broken reader (that has a functioning screen) be it a Gen3, 505, K1/K2, etc. as they do use the same screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
MacZap
MacZap began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, Palm T|X, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
Is it possible to purchase a replacment screen myself?
Yes and no.

Yes, I can sell to you an e-ink display, the cost is more or less, 100 euro (translate it in $), plus the transport.

No, because you need also to have some piece of software to reload, and a tool to do it. This because every display comes with a "waveform" that is a file containing a sort of calibration of the display itself. Last, you need another tool to calibrate a trimmer.

Without the waveform and the calibration, your display will show a very strong "ghost effect" and your reader becomes almost unusable.

The same is valid if you get the display from another reader. Even in this case you need the correct waveform to reload.

All the readers, including Kindle, Sony, Bebook, Hanlin and so on, uses the same display, and all of them needs to reload the waveform. The way to do this is obviously different between each manifacturrer and probably needs different tools.

Sorry

Last edited by MacZap; 09-09-2009 at 03:05 PM.
MacZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
kokot
kokot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

> Yes, I can sell to you an e-ink display, the cost is more or less, 100 euro
> (translate it in $), plus the transport.

this price seems to be nice. Can you send it to europe please? I'm from Czech Republic.

> No, because you need also to have some piece of software to reload, and a tool to
> do it. This because every display comes with a "waveform" that is a file containing a
> sort of calibration of the display itself. Last, you need another tool to calibrate a
> trimmer.

Do you have this file? Has it known format?

I'd like to use the display in my arm-based device with linux.

Thank you
kokot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
No he don't have, or not the good format, or nearly.

There are (at least) 3 major display chip, they each use different waveform format, this file is dependent on the screen batch too and you need a special program to put the waveform in the good place, a tool that is generaly not publicly available.

The formats are "secretly" maintained by Eink, and there are only a few company in the world who know how they work (and generaly, only a few people inside who know this)

And anyway you NEED a special display controler to use such a screen. you can't use generalist LCD drivers
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
MacZap

Yes, Godzil is right.

Is not a problem for me to sell in Czech Republic (I'm from Italy), but if you wont to build a new device from scratch, this is more difficult.
But if I misanderstood your words, and you want to replace a broken display in a commercial device, you can try.

I forgot before to specify that I have only the 6" displays, used in Cybook, Bebook, Sony, Kindle HanLin and so on.

Please send me a private message if you are still interested in display. Please note that I can perform a complete repair of some devices, with reloading waveforms and full calibration.

MZ
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Which one ?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
MacZap

Cybook and Bebook/HanLin v3, at the moment.