Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #196
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I am reading a PDF book ("Do Cats Hear With Their Feet?" and it turns out, yes they do!) which tells me I have 241 pages. (Or screens?) I am eager to get to the end just to see how accurate this is on PDF.
Well it depends on the page size of the PDF. If it is set at A4/Letter, then viewing on the PP may be 1/3 of the A4 page, so in using the PP you will do 3 page turns for every 1 page of the PDF. The page count will be for the ACTUAL number of pages in the PDF. Number of page turns will vary depending on font size and portrait/landscape mode.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #197
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Which means nothing if the numbers are not right. For instance, I have read quite a few MOBI files and I have yet to read one that has the right page count. That feature is most annoying because it is defective and does not work. If it DID work, it would be most valuable!

I have also noticed the progress bar in FB2 reader is always spot on. But there is also a bug in that (ARGH!) in that it is not possible to move the bar to the bottom of the page. It is only visible when it is set to be on top. A minor problem, yes, but still annoying.
The mobi problem is not unique to the Pocket Pro. It is basically in all implementations of the mobi reader on all platforms. It is related to the fact that mobi shows page numbers but they are estimated based on file sizes, however they are also counted as you read so you get a combination of accurate numbers and inaccurate numbers with sudden jumps when you move around the book.

Each format has its own set of problems. There is no one page numbering system. Each format is unique.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #198
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
I wish the ebook reader's cover had a poket for the USB cable...For example- along the spine...
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #199
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
I like the idea of a pocket for the USB cable, I'm just not seeing where it could go. Perhaps some kind of clip might work better?

Heck, in the short run, a rubber band might work. I think I'll give that a shot.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #200
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I like the idea of a pocket for the USB cable, I'm just not seeing where it could go. Perhaps some kind of clip might work better?

Heck, in the short run, a rubber band might work. I think I'll give that a shot.
I think it would be a bad Idea to use any method that is not fully removable like your Rubber Band.

The existing case, nearly doubles the weight of the PEz. Just adding a pouch for a cable will take the weight up, make the case lumpy and clunky
I just leave a cable attached to my desktop system and carry the original in my notebook bag when on the road
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #201
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I guess I am lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think it would be a bad Idea to use any method that is not fully removable like your Rubber Band.

The existing case, nearly doubles the weight of the PEz. Just adding a pouch for a cable will take the weight up, make the case lumpy and clunky
I just leave a cable attached to my desktop system and carry the original in my notebook bag when on the road
Dear All:

I normally make sure I have a decent portion on my main read on my Pocket PRO plus I load 20-30 free eBooks that should interest me. I prepare before I leave for a trip as it is so easy to do. I use the trip to finish my main read at that time and then peruse through the free eBooks to see what might be a hidden gem. Even on a 2-week trip I stay in good shape with plenty of choices and have found some great old classics. I love discovery of treasures!

For example, I have seen the origional making of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and every remake. BUT, reading the book was an entire new experience! Same thing with Jack London's "Call of the Wild". And reading "A Christmas Carol", after seeing 6 versions in movie form, was a delight!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #202
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
For example, I have seen the origional making of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and every remake. BUT, reading the book was an entire new experience! Same thing with Jack London's "Call of the Wild". And reading "A Christmas Carol", after seeing 6 versions in movie form, was a delight!
I am finding the same thing right now reading Martin Caidin's "Cyborg" novel.

It is a very interesting read after watching the Six Million Dollar Man all those years ago.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #203
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
I wish it was a nice adhesive skins for 6' Astak EZ... The only thing i am not fond of- is the black case...
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #204
Readerati
Readerholic
Readerati began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro
Since I got my PP, I've enjoyed reading while I eat a meal, drink a glass of wine, etc. (ignoring etiquette in the former). I prop the PP up on a book stand, and I can shovel in cornflakes, etc. while reading my current book. I don't have to dedicate one hand to holding the book (hard-cover readers may not sympathise). Great!

But...when it comes to page turns -aargh! I don't want to get gruel on my lovely PP!! Nor do I want to cease shovelling, drinking, or lolling about. What to do? This brings me to my wish list item.

How about a little page advance remote control? Nothing complicated, just page forward and back. Wireless (Bluetooth perhaps) would be good. I could see this being useful for people with disabilities too (although I'm just lazy).
Readerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #205
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerati View Post
Since I got my PP, I've enjoyed reading while I eat a meal, drink a glass of wine, etc. (ignoring etiquette in the former). I prop the PP up on a book stand, and I can shovel in cornflakes, etc. while reading my current book. I don't have to dedicate one hand to holding the book (hard-cover readers may not sympathise). Great!

But...when it comes to page turns -aargh! I don't want to get gruel on my lovely PP!! Nor do I want to cease shovelling, drinking, or lolling about. What to do? This brings me to my wish list item.

How about a little page advance remote control? Nothing complicated, just page forward and back. Wireless (Bluetooth perhaps) would be good. I could see this being useful for people with disabilities too (although I'm just lazy).
Voice activated
"Turn Page"
"The other way"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #206
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
For me it would be the following (all for the 5" unit):

1.) viewer configuration - given that different viewers ARE used, but there seems to be some overlap, an ideal environment would have a place in the setting to pick which viewer to use, when there's overlap. Again, I know this can be worked around by file renaming, but the perfect way would be something in the settings.

2.) a much improved "file browser" - As far as I can tell, it can't be customized all that much. So long filenames get cut off. Ideally, the view would be far more customizable, allowing a change to a font to show longer filenames, or some other method of showing more data. Also ideally, if there was a way to build some kind of index of all the files on the unit, perhaps a search tool (to search filenames) could be built. And lastly, a way to jump down fast in long file lists. If you have a directory that's 40 pages long and you have to pick a file that starts with the letter "Z", you are currently S.O.L. You have to either specifically re-org your files to always prevent this, or you have to press the damn page down button a lot. Well, inside the Astak's file browser, why not simply have a way to jump down 10 "pages" in a row? Something like... if you hold BOTH page down buttons simultaneously (the lever and the page down on the left) instead of going down 1 page, you go down 10. Sure, it takes two hands, but its better than ten times as many button presses.

3.) sleep mode / inactivity timeout - I realize the unit has no built in battery to save the date/time. But it DOES have a clock that counts up. I'm curious why there's no inactivity timeout which goes to a less power using mode. Admittedly the unit doesn't USE all that much power if the pages aren't being turned, so maybe that's the reason. If the unit does however use marginally less power with the display "off" (but the unit still otherwise on) then I don't see why it shouldn't EVENTUALLY go into such a mode.

4.) I've had plenty of problems reading HTML files inside of .RAR files. If this isn't just me, this seems like an important fix.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #207
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A long press of the 0 key will always jump 10 pages, even in the bookshelf, I believe, just as you asked for in item two. the 9 key long press jumps 10 pages back. Also works in a TOC as I recall.

As to point 3 there is already that feature pretty much everytime. You can lock the buttons manually but the device already shuts down between page presses. The purpose of the lock is to make sure the buttons do not get pressed accidentally when you are carrying it around.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #208
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A long press of the 0 key will always jump 10 pages, even in the bookshelf, I believe, just as you asked for in item two. the 9 key long press jumps 10 pages back. Also works in a TOC as I recall.

As to point 3 there is already that feature pretty much everytime. You can lock the buttons manually but the device already shuts down between page presses. The purpose of the lock is to make sure the buttons do not get pressed accidentally when you are carrying it around.
You mean there's an inactivity timeout and the screen blanks? I haven't seen that happen.

Sure, you can MANUALLY blank the screen, but that defeats the purpose. Inactivity timeouts are for when someone accidentally leaves a device fully "on".
Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #209
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
You mean there's an inactivity timeout and the screen blanks? I haven't seen that happen.

Sure, you can MANUALLY blank the screen, but that defeats the purpose. Inactivity timeouts are for when someone accidentally leaves a device fully "on".
There is no reason to blank the screen. The screen uses no power at all to sustain the screen display. This is an e-paper screen by E-INK it is bistable and does not need refreshes. There is no "fully on" on this device. The built in power saving shuts down the non-essential items at all times. When the user presses the next page key the computer comes alive, applies full speed and power to the hardware, gets the next data from the flash area, formats it, displays it on the screen and then shuts down waiting for you to read it. This is not your home computer or a general purpose device. It is designed to do one thing well.

Dale
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #210
Spiffy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is no reason to blank the screen. The screen uses no power at all to sustain the screen display. This is an e-paper screen by E-INK it is bistable and does not need refreshes. There is no "fully on" on this device. The built in power saving shuts down the non-essential items at all times. When the user presses the next page key the computer comes alive, applies full speed and power to the hardware, gets the next data from the flash area, formats it, displays it on the screen and then shuts down waiting for you to read it. This is not your home computer or a general purpose device. It is designed to do one thing well.

Dale
I've always heard that (that e-Ink displays take no power, and that only refreshes do). I guess its just a natural skepticism that absolutely NO power use would be impossible. I guess my assumption was that it was a bit of hyperbole and that it actually DOES use a microscopic amount of power which might add up to something after several days of showing something. The scenario being someone leaving a device on for hours, days or even weeks (very possible if it just gets put down and forgotten about, left home from a vacation, etc.)

But its hardly a big deal. I mean I personally am unlikely to do that, even if it were using that tiny trickle of juice.