Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Need multilingual functionality

Hi everyone,

I'm in the UK (which I believe narrows my choices for a start). I'm learning French, German and Russian and read a lot of books in these languages. There are lots of free e-books out there in all 4 languages. What I'm not clear about is, if I buy an e-book device from Borders or Waterstones, will it only be able to display books in English with a UK-type ISO encoding? Just how multinational are these beasties?
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
What brands and types of devices do Borders and Waterstones sell?

I know for the Sony devices you would need either specially prepared ebooks with embedded fonts or modify the fonts in the firmware of the device to make it properly display non-latin alphabets, e.g. for Russian texts.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Probably your best bet is a version of the Hanlin V3 or V5 (i.e. BeBook, Lbook, EZ Reader, or Hanlin). They will handle those languages fine.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Probably your best bet is a version of the Hanlin V3 or V5 (i.e. BeBook, Lbook, EZ Reader, or Hanlin). They will handle those languages fine.
Go for the BeBook. Don't get an EZ Reader until Fry's stop selling them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook will handle all these languages just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Thank you for all your answers!
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote