Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Cassiel
Cassiel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle 3G abroad

Hi

I'm going abroad to Europe for about nine months next year, firstly on a study-exchange and then to travel. I've been looking at getting an e-reader so that I can travel as light as possible, and the thing that caught my attention was the free 3G that Kindle Keyboard offers. I'm taking a wee netbook and iphone with me, but I'd like to be prepared in the unlikely situation that they crap out on me, and need emergency internet access.

However, I'm a bit confused with how this works. Where I'm from (New Zealand) we only get amazon and wikipedia on the experimental browser. Is it possible to get full internet access elsewhere? If so, how could I do that?

Thanks for any answers

Cassiel
Cassiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Of course, if you bought your Kindle Keyboard 3G in the US, there would be no problem -- which stinks.

Members of my family have used the Kindle Keyboard 3G for many text-heavy web sites in many European countries.

Here is a web site that seems to answer your question:

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/p/co...3g-access.html

My interpretation of that link may not be 100 percent correct and/or the link may not be 100 percent correct, but here is what I think:

There are approximately 40 countries whose residents are second class citizens of the Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G community. Those folks, like yourself, have free 3G web access in approximately 60 countries.

And there are approximately 60 countries whose residents are first class citizens of the Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G community. Those folks, like myself, have free 3G web access in approximately 100 countries.

So, the answer to the question is -- it depends on where you go in Europe.

These are the countries where 3G browsing will work for me but not you:

Quote:
Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden.
The European countries not on the above list, but with coverage shown on the map you can navigate to from my next link, are the ones where your device should have 3G web acccess:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...=200505540Gmap

Looking at the map, the European countries that don't have any Kindle 3G access appear to be Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

So, I believe that you will have 3G web access everywhere in Europe except Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and a few remote rural areas.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Of course, if you bought your Kindle Keyboard 3G in the US, there would be no problem
Isn't it the case that you'd have to be a resident then, and it doesn't matter where you buy it?

A big thank you for this information, though, because for over two years I've wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to which countries would and wouldn't work.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
Cassiel

Thank you for that information, it was very helpful!

Darn, are there any workarounds for getting access in those countries?

Last edited by Cassiel; 09-09-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

So, I believe that you will have 3G web access everywhere in Europe except Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and a few remote rural areas.
Well at least OP will get 3G access in Lichtenstein, Andorra, Monaco and San Marino. Phew, what a relief.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If would help if the OP were to say WHERE in Europe they will be studying. Europe is a big place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Cassiel

I will be studying in Germany.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, given that you have an iPhone, I'd suggest buying a local German iPhone SIM with a reasonable data allowance once you get to Germany. That will almost certainly be the best way to get internet access. That's what I generally do when I visit another country.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Any eReader with WiFi will work if you do as HarryT suggests. You just use tethering when you purchase books or upgrade your reading position.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This company, for example, offers iPhone SIMs for Germany for €9.90 for 1GB/month, and €19.90 for 5GB/month, which can be used for data tethering. I'm sure there are lots of other deals available.