Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
yatir
yatir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Table of contents disappears after conversion

Hi,
I own a kindle touch.
I have the following problem. I have a mobi file which has a table of contents, that is, the table of contents is not grayed in my kindle. After I convert the file to pdf (using calibre), the table of contents disappears in my kindle.

Can I fix it somehow?

Thanks in Advance,
Yatir
yatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Why would you want to convert it to PDF in the first place? .mobi is much more suitable a format for eBook readers. One, if not the, major advantage of mobi over pdf is the ability to change font sizes.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
yatir

I agree, but the document is in Hebrew and kindle reverses the order of Hebrew sentences.

Hence, I need to convert it to PDF...

Ofcourse, if anyone knows of a hack that allows reading left-to-right documents, that will also do.

Last edited by yatir; 03-14-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Oh, I see.

I quickly searched for it, hoping that maybe some metadata (EXTH) of the mobi format would include the text directionality, but there doesn't seem to be any. I also checked in the KT framework for some obvious signs of "text directionality" support, but there are none

So it seems like you're indeed out of luck. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact the calibre authors and let them know about the issue of the TOC disappearing on conversion. Maybe they can help.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
yatir

Thanks!
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
yatir

I got the following response from calibre:
"PDF Output does not support generation of Table of Contents in calibre."

Do you know of a good conversion program that handles TOC?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I quickly searched for it, hoping that maybe some metadata (EXTH) of the mobi format would include the text directionality, but there doesn't seem to be any. I also checked in the KT framework for some obvious signs of "text directionality" support, but there are none
The new KF8 format seems to support RTL languages and Amazon said "... in the coming months we will roll out KF8 to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps."
Once the K4 firmware get updated, you could hopefully simply convert your ePubs with Kindlegen 2 and won't have to jump through hoops to display Hebrew correctly.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
yatir

Thanks.
Hopefuly, it will happen soon
Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
yatir

I converted an epub with hebrew using kindlegen 2. Kindle preview showed it correctly (the sentence wasn't reversed) but my kindle touch still showed it backwards.

What's wrongs?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatir View Post
I converted an epub with hebrew using kindlegen 2. Kindle preview showed it correctly (the sentence wasn't reversed) but my kindle touch still showed it backwards.

What's wrongs?
Did you set Devices to Kindle in the Previewer? It always opens up as Kindle Fire, which supports KF8.

Last edited by tilia; 03-19-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatir View Post

What's wrongs?
Kindlegen 2 generates KF8 files by default, which the Kindle Touch doesn't support. You'll have to wait for the next official firmware update, which will hopefully include KF8 support for K4 Kindles.

In the meantime you'll have to create .pdfs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
yatir

It was set for kindle fire. Thanks.
For some reason, when I set it to kindle the fonts don't show up correctly..