Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Calibrefan
Enthusiast
Calibrefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
PDF to EPUB works in Calibre not on PRS-350

I've read that PDF is properly the worst format to convert but as it is my only source for 3 books I had to try anyway. The strange thing though is that the resulting EPUB's are working fine in Calibre. They are shown with cover, are opening (even though it takes some time) and the pages are perfectly readable in the viewer. However, when transferred to my Sony PRS-350 the cover isn't visible and when trying to open the book one get's a page opening error.

Is there any way to resolve this issue?
Calibrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert the epub to MOBI and then the mobi back to epub. Or even more drastic convert to TXT and then back to epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If you convert to TXT then MOBI use either textile or markdown output so you don't lose too much formatting.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Calibrefan
Enthusiast
Calibrefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Thanks both of you for your suggestions. First I've tried to the PDF to EPUB to MOBI to EPUB sequence but unfortunately this didn't help, the page error on the reader remained. Then I tried PDF to TXT to MOBI to EPUB and this gave the desired result in one of the three books. I can read it now on the Sony although the formatting is not "optimal". Perhaps this came about because I wasn't able to find out in the "Convert books" options what user_non meant with "use either textile or markdown output so you don't lose too much formatting".

Any other suggestions to get these PDF's up and running or does this result mean that for these files its simply not possible?
Calibrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Have you perhaps changed your preferences so that epubs aren't split in 260kb chunks? Epub output options under conversion. The reason for that is that larger chunks will cause the book to fail like you're describing on the 350, but on the desktop it will work fine.

The formatting is probably going to be a bit messed up regardless, that's just one of the problems in using pdf as a source.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert