Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Question 3G USB MODEM hookup

Has anyone come up with a way to connect a Verizon 3G USB Modem to the NC via a cable?

Is software available to run on the Android OS to support the 3G service?

The reason I ask is to use my 3G USB Modem and my NC while traveling for those occasions when WiFi is not available.

I tried a search, but found no mentions of my request.

TIA,

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I do not see how that is going to work, both the NC and the USB modem are USB client devices; the modem requires a USB host to connect to, which the NC is not.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
I agree with afv011 that you can't do this directly. My solution is to plug my 3G USB modem into a Cradlepoint CTR-350 Cellular Travel Router, which shares the cellular connection over WiFi so I can connect the NC that way. Check the standard on-line stores for pricing but the router is usually around $80 discounted.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Thanks folks, I have the Cradlepoint CTR-350 and use it in my home for my network. I was just trying to find a solution that reduced the number of devices and wall warts I needed to tote around.

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
If you have a mobile phone that offers mobile hotspot, that would be a nice solution to get WiFi to your NC.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
3g usb modem, nookcolor