Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Detailed Comparison of iPad2 against other tablets

Saw this on Android Central. The only tablet that comes close to our beloved NC (7 inch category) is the upcoming BlackBerry Playbook which is still pricey at $499.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
To be fair, no other tablet comes close to the NC in it's price range. However, the Playbook has mostly better hardware specs over the NC so that might justify the price difference for some people.
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
What is important to me is the screen quality for reading and the NC is tops in that category at 169 ppi. That combined with $250 is what was the winner for me. New iPad 2 seems cool, but I mostly want to read not play games so the improved speed isn't a big deal.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Never mind.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
unless they come at a decent price off contract 3 of the tablets are already off my list. i will not be lured into any over valued, over priced contract.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
debteb
Connoisseur

On the Android front, Moto Xoom is coming to Costco and Sam's Club and retailing at $539. Costco usually have a 3 month return policy. I might give Xoom a try. Don't know.

Last edited by debteb; 03-07-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Sorry for the wrong price info.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
cmanbrazil
cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
What is important to me is the screen quality for reading and the NC is tops in that category at 169 ppi. That combined with $250 is what was the winner for me. New iPad 2 seems cool, but I mostly want to read not play games so the improved speed isn't a big deal.
I'm totally with you. I will eventually get a wifi ipad, but for reading on the go, the size of the nook is excellent.
cmanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
On the Android front, Moto Xoom is coming to Costco and Sam's Club and retailing at $539. Costco usually have a 3 month return policy. I might give Xoom a try. Don't know.
has this been confirmed anywhere? i haven't seen it going past rumor status yet. other than that pic that's been circulating for a device that may not be out for a few months, i haven't seen any confirmations yet.

though if it does come out at that price i may end up selling my ipad.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
debteb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
has this been confirmed anywhere? i haven't seen it going past rumor status yet. other than that pic that's been circulating for a device that may not be out for a few months, i haven't seen any confirmations yet.

though if it does come out at that price i may end up selling my ipad.
I'll take this back. My friend in Boulder, CO confirmed that Xoom will debut at Costco for around $639 for a contract.

My apologies if I raised unwarranted hopes. Was unduly excited about the price.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I'll take this back. My friend in Boulder, CO confirmed that Xoom will debut at Costco for around $639 for a contract.

So reluctant to buy these things with inflated prices. The Galaxy Tab 7" is now going for $250 on contract. It was ridiculously priced when it debuted.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Unless Moto, Samsung and Co. come with decent prices, Apple will have a field day. Although the iPad and the iPad2 are just oversized iPods, people seem to be under the impression that Apple products are better (may or may not be the case, it's besides the point I'm trying to make), and therefore most people will most likely go for an iPad if the price of alternative tables is the same or similar.

I personally would not pay more than $400 for a 10" tablet, WiFi only.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
madsquabbles
Groupie

Quote:

not too bad. it's less than the price of comparable ipad. 32GB costs 599 plus 39.99 for the hdmi adapter and 29.99 for sd/usb (camera) connection.

i don't know how people think this costs more than an ipad. more than a 16GB ipad, yes, but againsta similarly equipped ipad it actually comes in better.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I don't understand why these devices seem to require you to have a contract with some damn phone company. Why can't I just buy one to use as a tablet computer? I think I can buy an iPad without a contract, right? Or am I missing something?

Actually, I think I saw that the Motorola Zoom can be bought without a contract for something like $800. Who's kidding who here?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I don't understand why these devices seem to require you to have a contract with some damn phone company. Why can't I just buy one to use as a tablet computer? I think I can buy an iPad without a contract, right? Or am I missing something?

Actually, I think I saw that the Motorola Zoom can be bought without a contract for something like $800. Who's kidding who here?
You can buy a wifi only Xoom (so, obviously, no contract) for a lot less that $800 - possibly as low as $539 at Sam's Club.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
OK, that's good news (about buying without a contract for a not-ridiculous amount). Thanks!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote