Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
I can't really listen to music while reading. It's an avocational hazard.

The possibilities for including sound in works that are primarily textual are interesting. It would be the sort of thing that is very easy to do very badly, however. The best works would not only have the music and sound tailored to the specific work, but the work itself would have to be written to make the incorporation of sound meaningful rather than just added in because it's possible.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
pureambient
on twitter: @pureambient
pureambient began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
I can't really listen to music while reading. It's an avocational hazard.

The possibilities for including sound in works that are primarily textual are interesting. It would be the sort of thing that is very easy to do very badly, however. The best works would not only have the music and sound tailored to the specific work, but the work itself would have to be written to make the incorporation of sound meaningful rather than just added in because it's possible.
Hello Shimarenda

I totally agree with you - music embedded in text needs to be done with taste, care and a lot of the early attempts will probably be crp.

I want to get involved with developers and authors, and find a few GOOD projects, spend TiME matching music and sound effects to story, and try to produce hybrids of real quality - not just something to say "we did it - look, sound in an ebook".

It needs proper development, which is why I intend to take as much time as possible to find the right collaborators and also authors whose stories I can believe in, that I can compose music for that doesn't just fit, but integrates completely - it should be an immersive experience, it should be almost as if the music and sounds aren't there - they need to enhance rather than overwhelm.

A delicate task.

I agree with you completely on this.

Cheers
Dave
pureambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't care about ambient music when I read, and definitely don't want anything using up more ereader battery. (Music might be nice--if it were never the wrong style for the scene, and the earphones never got in the way. And, of course, if it ate no battery life.) But I have friends who do like it; I'll point them at the site.

I'd also suggest looking into podcast & podfic communities, because those have an interest in putting ambient music behind audiobooks & other presentations.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
pureambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't care about ambient music when I read, and definitely don't want anything using up more ereader battery. (Music might be nice--if it were never the wrong style for the scene, and the earphones never got in the way. And, of course, if it ate no battery life.) But I have friends who do like it; I'll point them at the site.

I'd also suggest looking into podcast & podfic communities, because those have an interest in putting ambient music behind audiobooks & other presentations.
Hello Elfwreck

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not getting an enormous amount of response from authors or developers, so I will absolutely take up your suggestions to check out the podcast/podfic communities - that's most helpful.

I do understand and respect your viewpoints - battery life is important, and - the primary purpose of the device is reading.

I hope though that in the future - battery life will improve, and those issues won't be an issue any more.

And if the music were embedded in the content - well, of course, an e-book with sound would eat batteries faster than one without - but hopefully, as the technology develops, these issues will become less and less of a concern.

I am trying to take the long view, I am thinking I'd be happy to collaborate on e-books, magazines or graphic novels containing sound - carefully integrated sound - maybe in 3 to 5 years' time. If sooner, great, but in the meantime, your objections are both valid and duly noted.

And thank you for pointing anyone to the site to download the tracks, maybe if they like it enough they might convince you to at least try it....

I live in hope!

Thanks very, very much for your honest comments and insights - they are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
pureambient

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who downloaded the free albums, we've had an amazing response, and in fact, due to the overwhelming demand we have decided to leave the free download promotion going for another month, to give anyone who didn't have a chance, or new readers of this thread, a chance to get the downloads.

There is an entire ambient album/sampler available for free download at the pureambient store, www.pureambient.com/zencart

- select "Download Free Album"
- select the pureambient.com ambient sampler

There is also an active sampler that can be downloaded for free.

I think by now I have managed to deal with all of the registration issues that were raised the first time around, and you should no longer be asked for date of birth or phone number. If you do not wish to enter your details, please just enter "free download" into the registration fields, it should allow that.

Of course, many of you did enter your proper details, but I reiterate that there will be no advertising off the back of this promotion, and in any case, your details are 100% secure and are never lent, sold or given to any third party, or indeed anyone except the two owners of pureambient, myself and Ken Mistove, and that for administrative purposes only.

Those minor issues aside, I really, really appreciate all of your comments and I also did want to thank everyone who has downloaded, and I hope, enjoyed the two albums.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch if I can help with any issues at all.

Cheers,
Dave
Advert

Tags
ambient, developer, ereader, music