Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kobo Aura HD can't connect all of the sudden

I'm getting an error when connecting my Kobo Aura HD to Calibre...
Code:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 503, in _books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1411, in books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2954, in get_debugging_title
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2797, in get_pref
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 135, in settings
IndexError: list index out of range

If I click on the Kobo Extended driver plugin in the plugins menu I get...
Code:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IndexError</b>:list index out of range

calibre 2.60 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 2, 1) && Obok DeDRM (3, 0, 6) && Count Pages (1, 6, 9) && Kobo Utilities (2, 3, 2) && EpubSplit (2, 1, 2) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 6, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 2)
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 289, in double_clicked
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 370, in modify_plugin
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 154, in do_user_config
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 148, in config_widget
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2785, in config_widget

...and while clicking on the KoboUtilities plugin in the plugin menu brings up the settings window if I click on its icon in the main menu bar I get (error only happens when device is "connected")...
Code:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'int' object is not iterable

Python 2.7.9
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 2, 1) && Obok DeDRM (3, 0, 6) && Count Pages (1, 6, 9) && Kobo Utilities (2, 3, 2) && EpubSplit (2, 1, 2) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 6, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 2)
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 632, in toolbar_button_clicked
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 320, in rebuild_menus
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 248, in set_toolbar_button_tooltip
TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable

I can access the Kobo and its microSD card just fine in File Explorer.

Everything has worked fine since I got the Aura HD in April of 2013 up until now. Since the last time I used Calibre a month ago I have updated it to 2.60 (today) and have updated three plugins (also today), Kobo Utilities, Kobo Touch Extended & ePub Split.

Anyone have any ideas?

Running:
Windows 10 Pro
Calibre 2.60
Aura HD firmware 3.19.5761
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have done some serious surgery on the main KoboTouch driver. Unfortunately, there are a couple of incompatibilities between these changes and the released version of the extended driver. An updated version will be available soon. In the meantime, you can disable the extended driver and use the main KoboTouch driver. You will need to reconfigure this. Or, you can use the version of the extended driver I posted here. That should have the same code as the latest release of the extended driver but the few changes needed to work with the updated KoboTouch driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 AM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
And I've been getting this error after upgrading calibre to 2.60 this morning:

calibre, version 2.60.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le dispositif
'KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' object has no attribute 'OPT_MODIFY_CSS'
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 584, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 250, in upload_books
AttributeError: 'KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' object has no attribute 'OPT_MODIFY_CSS'

my glo HD is on 3.15.0
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have done some serious surgery on the main KoboTouch driver. Unfortunately, there are a couple of incompatibilities between these changes and the released version of the extended driver. An updated version will be available soon. In the meantime, you can disable the extended driver and use the main KoboTouch driver. You will need to reconfigure this. Or, you can use the version of the extended driver I posted here. That should have the same code as the latest release of the extended driver but the few changes needed to work with the updated KoboTouch driver.
Got your answer after posting, applied it, it worked, thank you.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately I get the exact same errors (*) with the beta plugin installed too. First I installed the beta plugin over the top of the other one, then deleted the plugin completely and installed the beta one, just in case. If I disable the extended driver and enable the regular one the device connects fine, but I really would like to be able to use the extended driver as it makes using kePub's easier.

* The error on connection is exactly the same. The error when trying to configure the extended driver is slightly different as it lists line 143 instead of 148 for the one line of the error message.

Spoiler:

ERROR: Unhandled Exception

IndexError:list index out of range
Code:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IndexError</b>:list index out of range

Python 2.7.9
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 2, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 3, 2) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 6, 2) && EpubSplit (2, 1, 2) && Obok DeDRM (3, 0, 6) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Count Pages (1, 6, 9) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 2)
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 289, in double_clicked
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 370, in modify_plugin
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 154, in do_user_config
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 143, in config_widget
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2785, in config_widget

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-24-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I'm starting to wonder if something else is going on here as well. After being able to connect to Calibre using the KoboTouch driver and the Kobo Utilities auto backing up my database I noticed that my collections are all messed up in that they're missing a lot of the books they used to contain. I don't use Calibre to do any collection handling and everything was manually added to the three collections I have (Read 2014, Read 2015, Read 2016) so I'm not sure what's up. Perhaps it's time to try a factory reset and start from scratch after over three years of use?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The errors are in code that reads the settings. I think what is happening is that the configuration for the driver was damaged during the initial attempts to use it. Now there is something in it that is preventing it from being read properly.

The fix should be to delete configuration file. This is in the calibre configuration file and is called "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py". Unfortunately, you will need to redo the configuration before connecting the device.

For the collections, did you check the KoboTouch driver configuration before using it? If you used the driver for collection management in the past, the configuration could still be there and has come into affect now.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
The errors are in code that reads the settings. I think what is happening is that the configuration for the driver was damaged during the initial attempts to use it. Now there is something in it that is preventing it from being read properly.

The fix should be to delete configuration file. This is in the calibre configuration file and is called "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py". Unfortunately, you will need to redo the configuration before connecting the device.
Thanks. This appears to have worked.

Quote:
For the collections, did you check the KoboTouch driver configuration before using it? If you used the driver for collection management in the past, the configuration could still be there and has come into affect now.
I didn't check the KoboTouch config before using it. Have never used Calibre for collection management in the past, but it's possible there was something there that messed it up. I only used that driver once when I first got the device, before I understood that I wanted to use the extended one.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
bluedog255
bluedog255 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Similar Error

I had upgraded to 2.72 and everything was going fine with my old kobo glo. Then I got a new aura one, connected it, and tried to upload 300 documents. After a minute of the job running, I got the "KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' object has no attribute 'OPT_MODIFY_CSS'" referred to in this thread.

Furthermore, afterwards, I got the same error with the glo. So somehow the ONE messed up the program and I guess the config files. I also confirmed that the laptop was otherwise communicating with both devices (glo and one) using file explorer; no trouble uploading/editing directories on either device via USB connection.

After a number of uninstalls and reinstalls to no avail, I:
1. Used preferences/miscellaneous/open calibre configuration directory to open the config directory.
2. I deleted ALL THE FILES.
3. Exited calibre
4. Uninstalled calibre;
5. And Reinstalled and everything worked fine.

I'm a total newb, but I believe that the config files/directory is NOT completely deleted with an uninstall; hence, without the delete of the config files, calibre relies on whatever was left over from the last install when reinstalling. As the config files appear to have been corrupted in my first use with the ONE, deleting them appeared to be the only fix. Editing the config files is completely beyond me.

Hope others find this useful.

Last edited by bluedog255; 11-24-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added a few points and clarified another.
bluedog255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog255 View Post
I had upgraded to 2.72 and everything was going fine with my old kobo glo. Then I got a new aura one, connected it, and tried to upload 300 documents. After a minute of the job running, I got the "KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' object has no attribute 'OPT_MODIFY_CSS'" referred to in this thread.

Furthermore, afterwards, I got the same error with the glo. So somehow the ONE messed up the program and I guess the config files. I also confirmed that the laptop was otherwise communicating with both devices (glo and one) using file explorer; no trouble uploading/editing directories on either device via USB connection.

After a number of uninstalls and reinstalls to no avail, I:
1. Used preferences/miscellaneous/open calibre configuration directory to open the config directory.
2. I deleted ALL THE FILES.
3. Exited calibre
4. Uninstalled calibre;
5. And Reinstalled and everything worked fine.

I'm a total newb, but I believe that the config files/directory is NOT completely deleted with an uninstall; hence, without the delete of the config files, calibre relies on whatever was left over from the last install when reinstalling. As the config files appear to have been corrupted in my first use with the ONE, deleting them appeared to be the only fix. Editing the config files is completely beyond me.

Hope others find this useful.
Actually, I hope no-one finds it useful. The error you received was because you hadn't updated the KoboTouchExtended driver when you updated calibre. I take it you hadn't updated calibre for a long time. There was a big change in the KoboTouch driver three or four months ago. This necessitated a change in the extended driver which was released at the same time. And that is what this thread is all about.

And a couple of points:
- The driver configuration was not corrupt.
- Uninstalling calibre doesn't touch the configuration directory or the libraries.
- A search here for the error you saw would have told you what to do: Update the driver and maybe delete a file.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-24-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #11
bluedog255

Quote:
Actually, I hope no-one finds it useful. The error you received was because you hadn't updated the KoboTouchExtended driver when you updated calibre. I take it you hadn't updated calibre for a long time. There was a big change in the KoboTouch driver three or four months ago. This necessitated a change in the extended driver which was released at the same time. And that is what this thread is all about.

And a couple of points:
- The driver configuration was not corrupt.
- Uninstalling calibre doesn't touch the configuration directory or the libraries.
- A search here for the error you saw would have told you what to do: Update the driver and maybe delete a file.
Ok. I get that. It's just that, being a newb, I had no idea how do to that. I had tried to install the files you had provided in the zip a few months back but I couldn't figure out how to do it correctly. More than happy to admit I have no idea what I'm doing and that likely most others here are more sophisticated with this stuff. I just like to read. Anyhow what I did above ended up with the same end result. Love your program.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog255 View Post
Ok. I get that. It's just that, being a newb, I had no idea how do to that. I had tried to install the files you had provided in the zip a few months back but I couldn't figure out how to do it correctly. More than happy to admit I have no idea what I'm doing and that likely most others here are more sophisticated with this stuff. I just like to read. Anyhow what I did above ended up with the same end result. Love your program.
There is nothing to updating a plugin. If you start calibre when there are updates available, it prompts you and shows which need to be updated. If you have turned the notifications off, then you can check from the plugin page of the settings.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
bluedog255

I did update etc.

OK. To be complete, I did install the updates, re: downloading the entire MSI file and installing. But for whatever reason it wasn't overwriting the old config files. Or at least that's how I understand it. I even tried reinstalling the old version I had (2.56 or something) and still got the same error.

As I said, I'm a total newb. It's very possible I did something wrong. I've been using Calibre for a few years now and regularly install the updates. This time I waited as it was awhile before I needed to use it. Then, bam, I installed 2.72 and nothing worked (though i thought the glo initially did).

Anyhow, It's very very likely whatever fault happened i did it. The fix I outlined was total brute force, but it worked. Calibre is amazing. I will regularly install any updates from now on so I don't miss something crucial.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, but you missed the point.

For the error you reported, the ONLY way to fix it, was to update the extended driver. You did not need to do anything else to get past that error. After doing that, there was a chance you would get another error. A different error that was related to the configuration of the extended driver. The fix for that was to delete ONE file. The name and location of that file is mentioned in the thread above.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #15
bluedog255

[QUOTE=davidfor;3433460]Sorry, but you missed the point.

For the error you reported, the ONLY way to fix it, was to update the extended driver. You did not need to do anything else to get past that error. After doing that, there was a chance you would get another error. A different error that was related to the configuration of the extended driver. The fix for that was to delete ONE file. The name and location of that file is mentioned in the thread above

Ok. Gottit.