Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Unless you want the portability of a standard 6" ereader then the H2O is probably the one to go for, if you think you will enjoy the bigger screen its probably worth the extra money. There aren't huge differences between the likes of the Glo HD & PW3. The 'essential' features of the Paperwhite over the Glo HD are the ease of integration with the Amazon ecosystem (usually the biggest & cheapest bookstore), insant delivery of books to your kindle, syncing of books etc, better customer service, plus few bugs/firmware updates compared to Kobo. Whereas the Kobo has better font optimisation and obvious support for libraries if you aren't in the US.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Unless you want the portability of a standard 6" ereader then the H2O is probably the one to go for, if you think you will enjoy the bigger screen its probably worth the extra money. There aren't huge differences between the likes of the Glo HD & PW3. The 'essential' features of the Paperwhite over the Glo HD are the ease of integration with the Amazon ecosystem (usually the biggest & cheapest bookstore), insant delivery of books to your kindle, syncing of books etc, better customer service, plus few bugs/firmware updates compared to Kobo. Whereas the Kobo has better font optimisation and obvious support for libraries if you aren't in the US.
Also collections management with Calibre, and Pocket integration. There are a variety of feature differences, it just depends what matters more to the individual.

I have to agree with the OP that poetry would suit the larger screen better, and tub reading makes the H2O a bit of a slam dunk, unless there are any glaring negatives (well, apart from price!)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodoriel View Post
All of my ebooks have been cleansed and backed up, and I meticulously organise their metadata into a state of uniformity in Calibre, converting them where necessary. It’s where my obsession with sorting my bookshelf and buying the prettiest editions transferred itself…
Warning: The new Kindles supports a format called kfx. It cannot be converted to epub. Amazon is in the process of converting its books to kfx.

Currently you are still able to d/l the non-kfx version to a computer via the Kindle for PC app, but if that app starts to support kfx (and we must assume it will), you will not be able to convert your books to epub.

On another note (and I'm not sure if this concerns you, but...) if you do decide to buy a PW3, a jailbreak has been found for the current firmware. If you ever want to jailbreak, get a PW3 from a store now and install a lock on it to stop it from updating, and put it in airplane fast! It will probably be the last ever jailbreak. It took them over a year to find this one...

Personally I wouldn't buy a Kindle because it is so closed. I owned a Kobo Glo HD, but I found it very slow to turn pages in epub. The H20 will be nich, but is non very portable.

Edit: See you went for the H2O. Probably the best choice of the three for your needs.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Warning: The new Kindles supports a format called kfx. It cannot be converted to epub. Amazon is in the process of converting its books to kfx.

Currently you are still able to d/l the non-kfx version to a computer via the Kindle for PC app, but if that app starts to support kfx (and we must assume it will), you will not be able to convert your books to epub.
Not true. You can use the "Transfer via USB" option to get any book in Mobi/KF8 format rather than KFX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not true. You can use the "Transfer via USB" option to get any book in Mobi/KF8 format rather than KFX.
Thank you for the correction. If one owns a recent Kindle (Voyage or a PW, etc), what format will be sent?

Last edited by Rizla; 10-14-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect it's unlikely to change, because a KFX book, unlike a Mobi or KF8 book, is not a single file, but a bundle of files.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Thank you for the correction. If one owns a recent Kindle (Voyage or a PW, etc), what format will be sent?
You'll get Mobi or KF8 depending on what the author/publisher has uploaded just like you would using K4PC/Mac to download (unless it's a print replica book/AZW4).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Just to chime in: I absolutely love my H2O. The highlights, for me, are the following three items:

1) I love the bigger screen. I am so used to the bigger screen now that 6" readers seem oddly small to me.

2) The water/dust proofing is good for my peace of mind. I like that I don't have to worry too much about accidental spills. The ability to wash off the e-reader is nice as well.

3) I'm Canadian, so epub with Adobe DRM support is mandatory for library loans.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #24
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodoriel View Post
I would rather not disclose that.
you already did

"I’ve played with all five available readers in-store"

there are at most 2 countries where you can do that

one of those is UK , but we English have baths, not tubs :

"I read in the tub"

so it's the other one.

Last edited by cybmole; 10-15-2015 at 07:01 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you already did

"I read in the tub"

so it's the other one.
And we also have "shops", not "stores".
Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

On another note (and I'm not sure if this concerns you, but...) if you do decide to buy a PW3, a jailbreak has been found for the current firmware. If you ever want to jailbreak, get a PW3 from a store now and install a lock on it to stop it from updating, and put it in airplane fast! It will probably be the last ever jailbreak. It took them over a year to find this one...
Oh this is exciting news for me, as I have a Voyage on that firmware. I like to fiddle, so if this works, perhaps I won't have to embed fonts any more!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
you already did

"I read in the tub"

so it's the other one.
Quote:
"The true north strong and free..."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #28
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and we're the only country that spells "colour" properly, but he did not use that give-away word
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
you already did

"I read in the tub"

so it's the other one.
So long as you go to more than one shop, Australia should be in the mix too, though most of us would say "in the bath". AND we spell "colour" correctly also. So there's that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
So long as you go to more than one shop, Australia should be in the mix too, though most of us would say "in the bath". AND we spell "colour" correctly also. So there's that.
Aussies don't usually hide, unless their surname is Assange, & we know where he is

...well him & the 2 million feral cats about to go into hiding, if they know what's good for them