Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
shirleybaird
shirleybaird began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
sd card with bookeen gen3

I have a bookeen gen 3 and can't seem to get it to acknowledge my sd card. Has anyone else had this problem and then fixed it. I am using a Verbatim 2G SD card that my computer does recognize.

thanks for any pointers
shirleybaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Sometimes people (such as me ) initially try inserting the SD card the wrong way round.

There's a picture on the back of the unit showing the correct orientation, and it isn't what some people would regard as the obvious one.

P.S. Welcome to the boards btw

Last edited by Sparrow; 05-16-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
michelvereycken
michelvereycken began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
I had to format the SD card (under windows XP) and then it worked.
michelvereycken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to Gen3 "troubleshooting" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleybaird View Post
I have a bookeen gen 3 and can't seem to get it to acknowledge my sd card. Has anyone else had this problem and then fixed it. I am using a Verbatim 2G SD card that my computer does recognize.

thanks for any pointers
Definitely re-format the card to FAT32. You might experience problems doing so with the card in the Cybook, so remove the card and use either an internal (to the PC) or external SD card reader.

That *should* help. Now you may also experience a condition whereby certain of your USB ports - this is most likely to be the case when connecting the Cybook to an external USB mini-hub or to the USB port in one of those built-in, 9-in-1, media card reader drives - just don't work well with the Cybook. In that case, you might have to re-attach your cable to another USB port. I find that on my machine the two USB ports directly built into the motherboard in the rear and the single port so attached to the front are the ones which will "recognize" my SD card when it's in the Cybook. The other USB ports, all connecting to the motherboard via jumper cables, tend to have problems.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Sometimes people (such as me ) initially try inserting the SD card the wrong way round.
You are not alone.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
shirleybaird
shirleybaird began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
I did have the card in the correct way, but that would have been a lovely quick solution. I will try reformatting the card and see how that goes. Thanks to all who replied.
Shirley
shirleybaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #8
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I wonder why they have the SD card in such an nonintuitive configuration....I keep trying to put it in my computer upside down, now.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
I wonder why they have the SD card in such an nonintuitive configuration....I keep trying to put it in my computer upside down, now.

Tell me about it! It drives me crazy when I attempt to swap the card from the Cybook (and the EB-100) and my PC. About half the time, I'm already beginning the insertion before I remember to check the orientation.

Derek
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The reason is either cost or that it was not possible to fit it the other way with the thickness of the unit they have choosen.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What is non-intuitive? It only goes in one of two ways right? It is either lable forward or lable back.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, just in general the label goes 'up', as in towards the top of the device as it's used. Maybe it's so if it's laying around it doesn't collect dust, and it's less likely to get damaged when you pick it up. Not sure that really makes sense, though--if the contacts are on the bottom you can't see to avoid them, and they get scraped on the table etc; maybe it's more so you can see the label. In any case, since the label goes up-- not just for cards, but for CDs, DVDs, and other media-- having the cybook odd man out is confusing.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
In any case, since the label goes up-- not just for cards, but for CDs, DVDs, and other media-- having the cybook odd man out is confusing.
I guess probably just perspective though. The Jetbook it goes label toward the back of the unit. We have some Kodak easy shares and it goes into the side with the label toward the back of the camera. The media slot in my Inspiron it goes label toward the top of the lappie.

But, if you try to put it in the wrong way it doesn't go very far and you know right away it is backwards.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #14
momghoti
Zealot

Well, with cameras it's debatable whether there is a 'front' or 'back'--depends how you look at it.
Normally you're right about the SD card only going in a bit if you're wrong, but a problem with the cybook is that the SDcard is very stiff--it's hard to tell if it's in right and needs a harder push, or it needs to be turned around. I've had similar problems with snap off battery covers--not hard enough, not hard enough, OOPS!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I guess probably just perspective though. The Jetbook it goes label toward the back of the unit. We have some Kodak easy shares and it goes into the side with the label toward the back of the camera. The media slot in my Inspiron it goes label toward the top of the lappie.

But, if you try to put it in the wrong way it doesn't go very far and you know right away it is backwards.

BOb
Tell that to all the people who've managed to shove the SD card in far enough to completely break the SD card slot. You're wrong about this. It's possible to shove the card in all the way; of course, if you've oriented it wrong, it won't "click" into place, but by the time you figure it out, you've busted your Cybook and Bookeen won't repair it under warranty.

We've had to deal with a few customers over this problem.

Derek