Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
linux variants for running sigil

I have a little netbook (asus eee pc 4g surf) that currently has eeebuntu 2.0 NBR running on it (based an 8.something ubuntu I believe).

Now I'm very much a linux novice and it takes me ages to get anything done on it. The question I have is can I get Sigil up and running on this version of the OS If go down the route of installing source, QT4 and Cmake - or do I need to find and install a newer flavour OS?

Now the machine only has 4G and a tiny screen so only really really lightweight OSs work on it so I just wanted to check before I embark on either;

a) attempting Sigil on the current OS
b) installing a more 'compatible' linux flavour and then adding on Sigil

Either way with my limited skills I know I have several days of anger filled installing ahead

Cheers,
Rak
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakulos View Post
I have a little netbook (asus eee pc 4g surf) that currently has eeebuntu 2.0 NBR running on it (based an 8.something ubuntu I believe).

Now I'm very much a linux novice and it takes me ages to get anything done on it. The question I have is can I get Sigil up and running on this version of the OS If go down the route of installing source, QT4 and Cmake - or do I need to find and install a newer flavour OS?

Now the machine only has 4G and a tiny screen so only really really lightweight OSs work on it so I just wanted to check before I embark on either;

a) attempting Sigil on the current OS
b) installing a more 'compatible' linux flavour and then adding on Sigil

Either way with my limited skills I know I have several days of anger filled installing ahead

Cheers,
Rak
(ed)Ubuntu 8 is really old. The Linux builds don't cover that far back mostly because of dependencies, which is part of the reasons that the linux installer packages ceased (around Sigil 4). Sigile 6 package is available for Ubuntu 12.x , Sigil 5.3 for Ubuntu 11.x.
Believe me. Sigil 6 is what you`will want once you ave used it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
If you're willing to go somewhat outside the mainstream (and it's a bit mind-bending, although ultimately awesome) try bodhi linux. 2.2.0 is coming out in a couple of weeks, based on the e17 window manager. Extremely light and snappy and built on top of the latest Ubuntu stable release.

Aloha,

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
If you're willing to go somewhat outside the mainstream (and it's a bit mind-bending, although ultimately awesome) try bodhi linux. 2.2.0 is coming out in a couple of weeks, based on the e17 window manager. Extremely light and snappy and built on top of the latest Ubuntu stable release.
I've got some ageing hardware that's always on the lookout for "light and snappy." Thanks for the tip!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
try bodhi linux.
Amazing! This works a treat, runs fine and a smaller footprint than peppermint or any other distro I tried (most of them complaining about needing more than 4 gig or running like treacle on the tiny processor)

My little eee is now running bodhi with latest Sigil (using R Giberts PPA) and Calibre (via bodhi app store) installed with no hassle what so ever.

rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert