Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
But maybe the tool isn't being design the way people need to use it? (Sorry, that's not meant to be as snarky as it sounds!)
I wasn't trying to justify anything, but instead was stating facts. When I go to Paris, I would love to cross the channel in my car instead of dealing with EuroTunnel, but I can't.

If you want calibre to be designed differently than it is, submit enhancement tickets. A lot of them get implemented.
Quote:
I had never before heard the requirement that these should be run as different users.
There is no such requirement. What I am saying is that when you switch libraries, it is best to also switch configuration directories. A user can have hundreds of them, if needed. For example, I have around 8 of them for various reasons. Post #10 above describes how I do it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Kovid has also coded the use of the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable so that you ould specify wher the config parameters should be read from for this run of Calibre, so that can be used instead of using two different accounts.

The point is that Calibre does not have a GUI based method of simultaneously switching both user preferences and databases.

Since these are user preferences rather than library specific it makes sense for them to be store separately to the actual library database.

Last edited by itimpi; 07-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What I am saying is that when you switch libraries, it is best to also switch configuration directories. A user can have hundreds of them, if needed. For example, I have around 8 of them for various reasons. Post #10 above describes how I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Kovid has also coded the use of the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable so that you ould specify wher the config parameters should be read from for this run of Calibre, so that can be used instead of using two different accounts.
Thanks, guys! I'll re-read Chaley's earlier post, and look at that environment variable. I probably need to make some changes to the way I start things up to keep me out of trouble in the future.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
I think it's fair to say that the many recent improvements to Calibre have made a closer connection between the configuration files and the library. They were always connected, but not so closely that it caused problems if you changed the library without changing the configuration files. Now, that's no longer true.

Ultimately, I think we're probably going to need some enhancements or bug fixes for people who want to swap libraries so that the config directory is also swapped.

Until then, we can change the configuration directory when we change the library with a batch file as discussed above.

Alternatively, we can change the user when we change the library. Since the config files are associated with a user, this may be easier for some.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:04 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Until then, we can change the configuration directory when we change the library with a batch file as discussed above.
I never change the library explicitly. I change configuration directories and use the library associated with that configuration. This way, I only need to remember one thing, which is about the capacity of my short-term memory these days.

For example, to start up my 'production' library (the one I never use while developing), I have a command file called calibre_prod.bat that runs the following two commands in a command box:
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\CBH_Data\calibre\config_production
calibre
Double-clicking on calibre_prod.bat gives the the configuration and library that I want.

FWIW: There is no problem having many configurations for one library, but there should be only one library for a configuration.

FWIW bis: Adding a --with-configuration option is hard, because the configuration information is used before the options are looked at.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I never change the library explicitly. I change configuration directories and use the library associated with that configuration.
Interesting. I was always changing them (library and config) as a pair. I either used both environment variables (CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY and CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY) or one config environment variable (CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY) and one command line option (--with-library). It didn't occur to me that changing only the config directory would also change the default library associated with it.

Quote:
FWIW: There is no problem having many configurations for one library, but there should be only one library for a configuration.
It's odd that we have ended up with two easy (GUI) ways to change the library associated with a config (Prefs and Wizard), but no easy way to change the config, when we really shouldn't use multiple libraries for a single config.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its not really clear what config setting are library specific and what are not.

For instance hidden columns: I'm sure there are people (I'm one of them) that dont care who the publisher of a book is and so want that column hidden in every library.

Or saved searches: I may use saved searches to find the newer books, unread books, etc that would be common across libraries.

As it is, with the current setup of sharing those config values, as long as you are careful to have the same set of custom columns in each library, there should be no problem.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #23
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As it is, with the current setup of sharing those config values, as long as you are careful to have the same set of custom columns in each library, there should be no problem.
Sadly, different custom and hidden columns is one the two major reasons why I need separate libraries (the other being I do not want my sheet music and books junking each other up).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sadly, different custom and hidden columns is one the two major reasons why I need separate libraries (the other being I do not want my sheet music and books junking each other up).
So you just need to change your config. According to Charles, a simple batch file, with two lines will do it. Exit Calibre, click batch file #2 and it will start with library #2. Exit again, click batch file #1 and it will restart with library #1. Each will have different columns.

Or, if you prefer, you can log out and log in as another user.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So you just need to change your config. According to Charles, a simple batch file, with two lines will do it. Exit Calibre, click batch file #2 and it will start with library #2. Exit again, click batch file #1 and it will restart with library #1. Each will have different columns.

Or, if you prefer, you can log out and log in as another user.
Simple English pleasen (in other words, I have no clue what you are talking about). Keep in mind that programming in Basic 8.0 was almost over my head (actually, much of it was). I HAVE to have simple, detailed, step by step instructions, including definitions of terms.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #26
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Simple English pleasen (in other words, I have no clue what you are talking about). Keep in mind that programming in Basic 8.0 was almost over my head (actually, much of it was). I HAVE to have simple, detailed, step by step instructions, including definitions of terms.
This is easier than programming in Basic 8.0, but you have to know the steps, so lets take them one at a time. Start with Preferences|Advanced Open Configuration Directory, and open it, (close Calibre to be ultra safe) then make a copy of it. Call it "calibre2" (or whatever). On my machine it will be at:
"C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre2"
The old config will be at
"C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre"

Now make 2 bat files on your desktop as follows:
right click on desktop and select New|New Text Document
and change its name to CalibreLib1.bat

Put this inside it with notepad:
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre
calibre
Then copy that bat file, rename it as "CalibreLib2.bat"
and change its contents to
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre2
calibre
(Use your name, not Starson17)

Now run the number 2, use preferences to set your #2 library and then never change libraries again with Preferences or the Wizard. One bat file will control lib1 and the other lib2.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
This is easier than programming in Basic 8.0, but you have to know the steps, so lets take them one at a time. Start with Preferences|Advanced Open Configuration Directory, and open it, (close Calibre to be ultra safe) then make a copy of it. Call it "calibre2" (or whatever). On my machine it will be at:
"C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre2"
The old config will be at
"C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre"

Now make 2 bat files on your desktop as follows:
right click on desktop and select New|New Text Document
and change its name to CalibreLib1.bat

Put this inside it with notepad:
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre
calibre
Then copy that bat file, rename it as "CalibreLib2.bat"
and change its contents to
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre2
calibre
(Use your name, not Starson17)

Now run the number 2, use preferences to set your #2 library and then never change libraries again with Preferences or the Wizard. One bat file will control lib1 and the other lib2.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you lost me at, "Start with Preferences|Advanced Open Configuration Directory, and open it, (close Calibre to be ultra safe) then make a copy of it."
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you lost me at, "Start with Preferences|Advanced Open Configuration Directory, and open it, (close Calibre to be ultra safe) then make a copy of it."
I was in a hurry. You need to make a copy of your current configuration directory. You will use it for your second library. Your current config directory can be found by going to Preferences|Advanced and selecting "Open Configuration Directory." At that point a window will open in that directory. Now close Calibre. It need not be open while you prepare the copy of your config directory.

The window to your config directory will still be open. You need to copy that directory. In my case, that directory is named: "C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming\calibre"

I want you to move up one level to "C:\Users\Starson17\AppData\Roaming" and select the "calibre" directory. Then make a copy of it and call it "calibre2"

At that point you will have two copies of your config directory in AppData\Roaming.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #29
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Ok, I got to C:\Documents and Settings\Setup\Application Data. Where is Roaming? I see a folder named Calibre. Is this the one I need to copy?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #30
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Ok, I got to C:\Documents and Settings\Setup\Application Data. Where is Roaming? I see a folder named Calibre. Is this the one I need to copy?
You're not using Windows 7 (Vista) as Starson17 is, that is why you don't see a Roaming folder. I would guess you're using XP and then you're in the correct folder.
Check if the folder Calibre contains files like gui.py and global.py among others.
If so make a copy of the folder and proceed as outlined in the previous posts, substituting the right path.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote