Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I sent a feature request to Aldiko the other day to support syncing between devices and their reply was they were working on a syncing feature. This will be nice for those of us with multiple android devices.
Wow, syncing. That would rock.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moon+ Reader Fonts

One of the keys to enjoying Moon+ is to import your own fonts. At the very least import Georgia. This would give you a similar experience to the stock reader's default font. Just grab some true type fonts off your computer (serif and sans seriff) and put them in /sdcard/fonts.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #48
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
With Moon Reader + can you change the order that the books are displayed, e.g. by author? Or have more than one book per shelf?

Last edited by noaxis2; 02-07-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: add'l info
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #49
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
With Moon Reader + can you change the order that the books are displayed, e.g. by author? Or have more than one book per shelf?
I assume you're referring to "All Books". No, the books are displayed in alphabetical order. You would have to use "By Authors" and select the author you want. The bookshelf display of one book per shelf seems to be taken from the old Aldiko app. Aldiko used to display books like that, now (version 2.0) it shows several books per shelf. That's a much nicer display. Perhaps Moon+ will give us that in an update.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #50
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Thanks!
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #51
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I sent a feature request to Aldiko the other day to support syncing between devices and their reply was they were working on a syncing feature. This will be nice for those of us with multiple android devices.
you can do this now via 3rd party program - fbsync - with fbreader. i love it!
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #52
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I too find myself going back to the stock reader. The others seem awkward and clunky.

One problem I've noticed is that illustrations are sometimes too small to read and can't be scrolled. Sees like a major oversight.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #53
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I tried something called Coolreader and thought it was a very nice reading app. It isn't as customizable as Moon+, but not too far off. The main issue is that it has no library feature from what I see. What about the Nook Android app itself, compared to the stock NC application?

I'm going to test all of these applications again and try to stick with each a little longer, but so far for overall use I really like the stock reading application. In many ways it is simplistic and lacks features, but at the same time it seems to have a good presentation. If only I can grab features from each of these and build the perfect reading app.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #54
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I tried something called Coolreader and thought it was a very nice reading app. It isn't as customizable as Moon+, but not too far off. The main issue is that it has no library feature from what I see. What about the Nook Android app itself, compared to the stock NC application?

I'm going to test all of these applications again and try to stick with each a little longer, but so far for overall use I really like the stock reading application. In many ways it is simplistic and lacks features, but at the same time it seems to have a good presentation. If only I can grab features from each of these and build the perfect reading app.
It would be nice if we could run the NOOK app on our NOOKcolor (2.1), but we can't.

I've been using CoolReader this week. I had been ignoring it because it lacked some features, but it's a robust app now. The presentation of text is excellent -- better than Moon+. It loses points (for me) by not having a library and not recognizing tags/collections. I would have to know what specific book I'm looking for (based on author) when using the file browser.

If Moon+ would recognize publisher defaults and fix the way it renders in-text italic and bold fonts it would be perfect. The highlight and annotation feature with export capability is unmatched.

I agree, the stock reader's presentation is very nice. It's disappointing that the device falls short in some areas as a dedicated reader. What's the point of highlights and annotations if you can't export them? It is an ereader tablet and the capability exists. CoolReader and Moon+ allow this. Aldiko will soon include highlights and annotations, and it's very likely that you'll be able to export them. Why not?

Last edited by SCION; 02-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

If Moon+ would recognize publisher defaults and fix the way it renders in-text italic and bold fonts it would be perfect.
Version 1.2.15 includes a fix for italic/bold fonts within epubs. I had to uninstall and re-install the app, then import. Perhaps I could have just removed my "currently reading" books from the library and re-imported them.

Last edited by SCION; 02-19-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Moon+ is a bit frustrating for me right now. It seems that I cannot do anything with it other than straight-read and once I'm in read mode, I can't even exit. The full screen has a lot to do with that. I recall being able to get into the menu before to remove this option but I've re-rooted since then and forgotten how. EDIT: Aha! Post #28 explains how to get out that mode. Phew! I'm hoping that all this is worth it.

On another note, I have about 90 books on the NC, mostly from library and non-DRM epubs. The vast majority have cover pictures but out of the bunch only THREE covers show on the stock library and 3-4 different ones on Moon+. Are some readers interpreting the formats differently? They show ok on the Aldiko library.

Last edited by Apoc; 02-20-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #57
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I've been looking at alternate readers because I'm thinking of moving to cm7 at some stage, Moon Reader has a few annoyances for me, such as the cover chapters at the beginning of a book, anyway to get rid of that? I've looked through controls but I can't find anything to remove it. It also pauses between chapters, I guess it loads each chapter at a time. And not all the covers show up and I have to leave them in the folders with the books for them to show not like the stock where I can delete them.

I still like the stock better but I had heaps of trouble this week end with authorization error and it resetting.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #58
SCION
Séduisant

I'm not sure what the issue is with the covers. I use calibre to load my books into sdcard/books. So far, I haven't encountered an issue with Moon+ not recognizing covers.

Yes, it pauses between chapters to load it. I've seen requests to have the entire book loaded. Wonder what the reasoning is behind chapter loading.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
I'm not sure what the issue is with the covers. I use calibre to load my books into sdcard/books. So far, I haven't encountered an issue with Moon+ not recognizing covers.
I, too, export from Calibre. I have tried the default options, in a single directory, and with "saving covers" option on and off. The result is the same. I am using the free version for now. Apparently there should be no functional difference between paid and free, but at this point there isn't much incentive for me to buy.

Are your Calibre save settings different from the default?
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #60
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
...So far, I haven't encountered an issue with Moon+ not recognizing covers...
I misspoke. Just checked and I have three covers that aren't recognized.