Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
bspooky
bspooky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
periodically email combined RSS feeds to Kindle account?

So not wanting to pay $2 a month x 10 feeds just to have wireless delivery, and not wanting to have to hook up the Kindle to a computer on a daily basis, and wanting a wireless solution, is there any program or method out there that will utilize a computer to grab rss feeds all day long and say ever morning combine those into one file (likely html) and email it to your kindle email account for you?

Yeah, not super current but that isn't needed for all blogs/rss feeds.
Yeah, it would be one long document, not individual feeds but that is OK.
Yeah, it would cost 10 cents a day, but that is a whole lot better than $20 a month or more!!!

Thoughts????
bspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I've thought about this already and Feedbooks could very easily do this. BUT it's written in the user manual that you're not authorized to create such a system...

The other solution is this: instead of receiving those feeds through e-mail, you bookmark the page on Feedbooks with your subscriptions (coule be a single file or multiple files), and you download those Mobipocket files through the Kindle browser.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
bspooky
bspooky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
BUT it's written in the user manual that you're not authorized to create such a system...
You are kidding me surely? HOnestly, I haven't read the manual yet, just been using it and reading. wow, that isn't good. :-(
bspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspooky View Post
Quote:
BUT it's written in the user manual that you're not authorized to create such a system...
You are kidding me surely? HOnestly, I haven't read the manual yet, just been using it and reading. wow, that isn't good. :-(
I'll quote the manual:
"The conversion service on Your Kindle is meant for the receipt of personal, non-commercial documents only. You may not authorize the sending of documents from automated distribution services."

I don't think that you want Amazon to ban Feedbooks.

I think there's 2 way we could avoid this:
  1. Downloading your file containing your feeds using the Kindle browser. We'll do a mobile version of Feedbooks, and add a Mobipocket output...
  2. We have a sync tool that you'll be able to use in order to automatically download and send through USB these feeds on the Kindle. This tool could also have an option, where you specify your Kindle e-mail address, the e-mail of the sender, and it'll send to your Kindle the content. It would be much harder for Amazon to ban this kind of tool. Have you tried sending a Mobipocket file to your Kindle using an e-mail ?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Have you tried sending a Mobipocket file to your Kindle using an e-mail ?
I tested sending a .prc file from project gutenberg to my kindle email address and it was delivered wirelessly to my Kindle (with an .azw extension) and readable. The 10 cent charge hasn't shown up yet -- anyone know where to see these; are they batched?

I do wonder how long the email conversion service will last. Seems like Amazon could open themselves up to copyright infringement claims if they are sent copyrighted material (such as blogs) for conversion. This is probably part of the reason for the limitation to personal, non-commercial works.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I tested sending a .prc file from project gutenberg to my kindle email address and it was delivered wirelessly to my Kindle (with an .azw extension) and readable. The 10 cent charge hasn't shown up yet -- anyone know where to see these; are they batched?

I do wonder how long the email conversion service will last. Seems like Amazon could open themselves up to copyright infringement claims if they are sent copyrighted material (such as blogs) for conversion. This is probably part of the reason for the limitation to personal, non-commercial works.
Well, in this case (a PRC file) there's no conversion needeed. They might charge you, but it'll be for the cost of delivering the file through EVDO.

Amazon will have to keep the conversion service running somehow. They already received bad press for their lack of support for a large number of formats (PDF for example), if they remove this service it'll be even worse. They could potentially identify copyrighted materials, but they would need a lot of extra ressources and a very good database. Not sure that they could do this.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Well, in this case (a PRC file) there's no conversion needeed. They might charge you, but it'll be for the cost of delivering the file through EVDO.
I know that. I thought that prc and mobi files were essentially the same but with different extensions and you were asking if it is possible to have them wirelessly deliver one (i.e. a file that didn't need converting). I guess I'm not sure what you meant by "Have you tried sending a Mobipocket file to your Kindle using an e-mail"?

Quote:
Amazon will have to keep the conversion service running somehow. They already received bad press for their lack of support for a large number of formats (PDF for example), if they remove this service it'll be even worse. They could potentially identify copyrighted materials, but they would need a lot of extra ressources and a very good database. Not sure that they could do this.
A good database wouldn't help them identify blogs/RSS feeds (which are copyrighted unless the author puts it in the public domain). No reasonable way to keep it up to date.

Doesn't matter how much bad press they get, if having the service results in multi-million dollar lawsuits, it will go away, bad press or no [and if they tried to fight it too much and looked to be losing, then shareholders might sue]. If this happens, the bad guy isn't Amazon, it's US laws and legal system. I hope this doesn't happen.

Since free conversion software already exists, I'm not sure it would make sense for Amazon to make yet another version -- they may just be using the existing free software as it is.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I know that. I thought that prc and mobi files were essentially the same but with different extensions and you were asking if it is possible to have them wirelessly deliver one (i.e. a file that didn't need converting). I guess I'm not sure what you meant by "Have you tried sending a Mobipocket file to your Kindle using an e-mail"?
Yep exactly, and you answered my question, thanx. Do you think Amazon will charge you something for the delivery through e-mail of this PRC/Mobi file ? If they don't, it would be wonderful, this means that an auto-delivery system could be easily created and at no cost whatsoever.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yep exactly, and you answered my question, thanx. Do you think Amazon will charge you something for the delivery through e-mail of this PRC/Mobi file ? If they don't, it would be wonderful, this means that an auto-delivery system could be easily created and at no cost whatsoever.
If it goes to the device, the charge will be $.10. You might as well send a PDF and save yourselves the trouble of creating the PRC. This could still be worth it if it was a once a day email.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
You do know that since day 1 Amazon has supposed PDF conversion, right?
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
You do know that since day 1 Amazon has supposed PDF conversion, right?
Of course, but I believe that the result would be better if we generated the Mobipocket file directly instead of transforming a PDF into Mobipocket throught their conversion service.

+ a conversion service doesn't mean that the Kindle support these formats, the experience is very different
Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
www.rsskindle.com

I like it!

Here's the first one I tried, and it works great, with fast response time and clean content:

rsskindle.com/?url=http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/world/rss

Now, I typed in the entire URL as above, and bookmarked it, but hope I will not have to Kindle-type every one. That's because, for me, a useful RSS feed is full text, and those URL's tend to be long. For example, I would rather not type this in on the Kindle, if I can avoid it:

rsskindle.com/?url=http://www.wizardrss.com/feed/www.jpost.com/Rss/RssFeedsIsraelNews.aspx

or especially:

rsskindle.com/?url=http://www.getfullrss.com/makefulltextfeed.php?url=http://www.haaretz.com/cmlink/haaretz-com-headlines-rss-1.263335%3FlocalLinksEnabled%3Dfalse&key=&max=2&su bm

Is there a way to maybe email links in a .txt document sent to my free.kindle.com, and then copy/paste the url's from the .txt "book" to the browser url bar?

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Interesting thread. I didn't realize you could do some of these things. Thanks, all.
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote