Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
debbielovesbooks
debbielovesbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Questions about my new 505

I am getting more and more comfortable with my new PRS-505, and like it very much indeed! I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer by reading the Guide, or by searching here (or if I did see the answer, I didn't understand it!)

First, if I have Reader compatible files saved to a memory card, can I just insert the card into the appropriate slot to read or listen to on the Reader, or do I need to transfer it to the Ebook Library software first?

Most of my music is either purchased from or saved on iTunes. When I hover over the files, they say they are mpeg4. Is that compatible with the Reader? Also, I was thinking of buying an audio book through iTunes. Has anyone here successfully listened to an audio book on the Reader?

I can't find any information at all about headphones, other than where the jack is. Can I use any standard headphone/earbuds?

Thanks for your patient assistance!
debbielovesbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Debbie--

You can read books off the memory card, you do not need to use the Sony software.

I'm pretty sure the only audio files that the reader will read is mp3--so the iTunes mpeg4 wouldn't be compatible. (This would include audio books.) That said, the Sony Reader really isn't your best choice for audio files--they run the battery down quickly, there isn't really any easy way to create playlists or tell the reader which order you want it to play the audio files in, and it's very easy to leave the audio player on when you're not using it--draining the battery unexpectedly. Also, I'm not sure if the Sony Reader will remember the position you paused when listening to an audio file...not important for music, but when you're three hours in to an audio book, it's a pain trying to find where you left off.

Any pair of headphones with a standard connector should work with your Reader.

Glad you're enjoying your reader!! I've had mine for a year and a half, and now I wonder how I ever got by without it!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Reader does support AAC files, of which iTunes files is one kind. However, those files must not have DRM, i.e. they should have m4a extension (aka iTunes Plus tracks), not m4p. Also, Reader does not support iTunes' audiobook format.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi Debbie

Welcome to the forum, you can use any headphones in the Sony.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
debbielovesbooks
debbielovesbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Thank you all; you've cleared up all my questions.
debbielovesbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert