Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
My goal is fairly conservative (I think). I just want to write about 150,000 new words this year, which breaks down to 3,000 words a week (with 2 weeks of vacation/margin thrown in just in case).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
My goal is fairly conservative (I think). I just want to write about 150,000 new words this year, which breaks down to 3,000 words a week (with 2 weeks of vacation/margin thrown in just in case).
That's the equivalent of 3 NaNo projects which isn't bad. Is it all in one work or split between different projects?
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's the equivalent of 3 NaNo projects which isn't bad. Is it all in one work or split between different projects?
Different projects, mainly short stories. I'm not up to novel (or even novella) writing yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Finish this bloody novel I'm writing. It's good. I've written the end, and the first quarter, but now I'm revising the first quarter, and the start is all off so I have to rewrite the start. You know, establish the character etc in the first 10% of the book. I'm crap at beginnings.

But I have to push ahead with the middle which is pretty well planned out, but can be developed (i.e. has wriggle-room).

I was tempted to do rewrite the last quarter, or the modify the start, but I might just charge ahead. It's a lot of work and I really could do with another one of me. Still, on the bright side, I think it will work and be good. I want to finish it by summer. I'm not sure if that's possible. If I do, I'll have to revise it anyway. Anyway, back to work.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
bradhaak
bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I'm mostly new here - been lurking for a while without posting anything.

Last October, I self-published my first novel. It is YA paranormal/suspense. I found a reputable agent that wanted me to sign with her, but after looking at the state of the industry, I couldn't do it. I concluded that conventional publishing is circling the drain, and I decided not to join them on the ride.

So for 2013, I want to complete and publish the second book of the trilogy by the end of March. It is currently in a fairly good place at about 80,000 words with a number of drafts behind it. Then I want to publish the third book by the end of the year. It is currently sitting at a 90% complete rough draft with a ton of work left to do.

If I can get all of that done, I have an unrelated book sitting at a 90,000 word rough draft that needs a lot of attention.

That will set me up for new projects in 2014.

Last edited by bradhaak; 01-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good for you Brad! Best of luck! And welcome to MR!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #37
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
At the end of 1995 I was living in Israel waiting for various African countries to change their visa regulations so that I could travel through them as apartheid ended in South Africa. Once that happened I set off and rode a bicycle from Jerusalem to South Africa. I kept detailed journals of my journey and now want to write my story. This year I want to at least transcribe the journals and make a start.
Sounds like the sort of thing a lot of people, including both myself and my wife, would want to read.

Go for it.

Graham
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing a lot of people, including both myself and my wife, would want to read.

Go for it.

Graham
I agree it does sound like it would make an interesting read.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #39
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Best of luck everyone. All I'd like to do is get back to my novel (50,000 words so far) and finish it in 2013. I am stalled at the moment.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Best of luck everyone. All I'd like to do is get back to my novel (50,000 words so far) and finish it in 2013. I am stalled at the moment.
Quick, somebody grab the Cattle Prod, we got a live one!

I know, it's not funny...maybe back up, do a brief review or outline or sketch of what you've got and do some meditation (medically assisted or not) on it!

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quick, somebody grab the Cattle Prod, we got a live one!

I know, it's not funny...maybe back up, do a brief review or outline or sketch of what you've got and do some meditation (medically assisted or not) on it!

Good Luck!
I'm in two minds, when I get back to it, whether or not to read everything I have written so far before I continue (I've been away from it for 6 months or so). I'm afraid if I don't, I will drop thread strands and not resolve them, but I'm also afraid if I do then I'll end up spending all my time editing what I've already written rather than writing new stuff.

Would be interested in the views of anyone who has experienced something similar?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
kennyc

That's why I'm saying just read it quickly and take some notes -- unless it was written from an outline...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's why I'm saying just read it quickly and take some notes -- unless it was written from an outline...
The initial outline went the way of all things, and bears no resemblance to the (partially) finished article . You are probably right, a quick read and make notes (with someone standing over me with a baseball bat trying to catch me editing) would be best.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #44
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Finish my next short story, it's still in the draft ages and hasn't been fully written yet. Hopefully, I'll have a creative surge and finish the draft soon. That's my first goal, once it's finished and published I can take it from there.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The initial outline went the way of all things, and bears no resemblance to the (partially) finished article . You are probably right, a quick read and make notes (with someone standing over me with a baseball bat trying to catch me editing) would be best.
I've got a couple of old bats you can borrow if needed, I'll want them back though.
Closed Thread