Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I want to read the longest Australian Novel ever written

It's called "Poor Fellow My Country," by Xavier Herbert.

This is the longest Australian novel ever written at 850,000 words (1,463 pages.)

Unfortunately, it's not available as an ebook, as far as I can determine.

Has anyone read this?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quantity rather than quality, huh? . You could always tackle Samuel Richardson's "Clarissa", which is even longer at an estimated 984,870 words. It even has the advantage of being in the public domain, and available as an book!

Last edited by HarryT; 01-26-2014 at 05:43 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Don here's a link to Abe books (referred through Book Depository)

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...%26amp%3By%3D0

Two (paper) books in one:

Poor Fellow My Country and Capricornia

13.11 pounds

A quick look in Aus on line bookshops I couldn't find Poor Fellow

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-26-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add the word 'paper'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quantity rather than quality, huh?
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

A short wiki bit ...
Xavier Herbert (15 May 1901 – 10 November 1984) was an Australian writer best known for his Miles Franklin Award-winning novel Poor Fellow My Country (1975). He is considered one of the elder statesmen of Australian literature. He is also known for short story collections and his autobiography Disturbing Element.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

13.11 pounds

A book weighing over 13lbs strikes me as being rather cumbersome to read. Ebooks certainly have a major advantage over such weighty tomes.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

It would be interesting to know the what the weight of that double paper book is ...

The 13 odd was my way of expressing English money
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

LOL . My apologies.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I read "Poor Fellow My Country" not long after it was first published, and I still have my hardback copy in its dustjacket. Although I can't imagine I'll ever read it again, it's one of the books I'll keep.

I know at the time we all thought it was a masterpiece, and it won the Miles Franklin award for "a novel which is of the highest literary merit and presents Australian life in any of its phases".

Now I am tempted to reread it after all, but I am nearly forty years older and the book is very heavy - the print is clear and a good size, but this means it has nearly 1500 pages. Perhaps if it ever comes out as an ebook ...
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's called "Poor Fellow My Country," by Xavier Herbert.

This is the longest Australian novel ever written at 850,000 words (1,463 pages.)

Unfortunately, it's not available as an ebook, as far as I can determine.
Good news - you can borrow it as epub from openlibrary.org .
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quantity rather than quality, huh? . You could always tackle Samuel Richardson's "Clarissa", which is even longer at an estimated 984,870 words. It even has the advantage of being in the public domain, and available as an book!

No. Both.

It's actually supposed to be a very highly regarded novel.

Clarissa is even longer; that's correct. I attempted to read this when I was in my early 20s, but never finished.

Since that time, though, I relish long intricate novels, which is one of the reasons I enjoy Post-Modern fiction and also Victorian novels.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

13.11 pounds

ABE is one of my primary sources for hardbacks, since I'm a book collector.

I saw the listing you mention - thanks.

There appear to be only 2 copies available. The shipping from Australia (for one of those two copies), is outrageous!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Good news - you can borrow it as epub from openlibrary.org .

I'll check that out. Thank you!