Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Varley
Varley began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Converted lit - what bits needed ?

I've converted a .lit and now have a nice html file, a bunch of jpgs, and a .opf file

In order to put this onto a Cybook should I just dump the lot in a folder ? Do I need the .opf ? I'm not sure what it does for me.
Varley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You should use Mobipocket Creator to make a new ebook. Right click on the OPF file, open it with MobiCreator,and make the ebook.

It will come out much better than simply reading the HTML.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Download:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/

and download the "mobigen" tool. Unzip it into a folder and make sure that folder is on the path.

Now, start a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing your opf file. Type in the command:

mobigen myfile.opf -c1 -s0 -jpeg

This will grind away for a minute or so and produce you a nice mobipocket file for the CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Thanks HarryT! I tried to convert a .LIT file, using Mobipocket Creator and found it to be so tedious. Using the mobigen tool to run it against the .opf file works great and so fast!
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Thanks HarryT! I tried to convert a .LIT file, using Mobipocket Creator and found it to be so tedious. Using the mobigen tool to run it against the .opf file works great and so fast!
I'm not sure why you found it tedious, Julie. All you have to do with Mobi Creator is open the "opf" file, then click the "Build" button!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure why you found it tedious, Julie. All you have to do with Mobi Creator is open the "opf" file, then click the "Build" button!
I think he means he tried manually placing all the .html and .jpg files in order within the MobiCreator files list as well as trying to make his own ToC. If one doesn't know to just open up the .opf file, using MobiCreator to make an ebook from multiple .html files is a real pain.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I think he means he tried manually placing all the .html and .jpg files in order within the MobiCreator files list as well as trying to make his own ToC. If one doesn't know to just open up the .opf file, using MobiCreator to make an ebook from multiple .html files is a real pain.Derek
My first attempt....I'm sure I made it harder than it needed to be. I was unfamiliar with all the different files that were extracted from the .LIT file (I am a total novice). I didn't know about the .opf file at all. I read MobiCreator's help files and followed those directions.

I dragged ALL the files to the Publication Files screen, and the files got placed there out of order - seems to be a bug with the software. Having to move up the chapters into the right places was not feasible - there were over 400 files. After a couple of tries, I gave up and started over again. Then I searched through these forums and found Harry's posting.

I'm just delighted that it worked so easily. Now that I won't be chained to buying books in the Mobipocket format, I'm ready to jump into eBooks full speed ahead.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

MobiCreator is just a graphical "shell" around the "mobigen" command-line tool. All it does is to provide a nice means of creating or editing an "opf" file; it's the opf file which contains all the "building instructions" - the order of files, the metadata, etc.

If you simply open the opf file from within Mobi Creator (or, in fact, just double click the opf file) everything will be loaded automatically, and you need to nothing more than click the "Build" button to create your book.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
SciFiBill
SciFiBill began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Irex DR800SG
I've invested in the ABC Amber converters. They have multiple format converters (some free) and have worked well on several documents I have tries so far. Their addy is: http://www.processtext.com , and most (if not all) are try before you buy.
SciFiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Now, start a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing your opf file. Type in the command:

mobigen myfile.opf -c1 -s0 -jpeg
By the way, I just noticed that the "-jpeg" option is gone in the newest version of mobigen (6.01 build 37), because it is the default now. So you actually have to use the command "mobigen myfile.opf -c1 -s0".
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
MobiCreator is just a graphical "shell" around the "mobigen" command-line tool. All it does is to provide a nice means of creating or editing an "opf" file; it's the opf file which contains all the "building instructions" - the order of files, the metadata, etc.

If you simply open the opf file from within Mobi Creator (or, in fact, just double click the opf file) everything will be loaded automatically, and you need to nothing more than click the "Build" button to create your book.
Even better! Thanks. I am a happy camper. Being able to convert .Lit books into Mobipocket opens up the world to more books for me of the Cybook.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiBill View Post
I've invested in the ABC Amber converters. They have multiple format converters (some free) and have worked well on several documents I have tries so far. Their addy is: http://www.processtext.com , and most (if not all) are try before you buy.
Their products have saved me many time. They are excellent converters and at a low price. Some people object to their Sony converter as it does not preserve italics. To me this is a small price to pay.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I object to their LIT converter as well. I've reported the bug and nothing's been fixed.

The LRF converter does not convert any attributes or graphics. All you get is plain text with nothing going for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
neocreo
Comic Fan
neocreo began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I object to their LIT converter as well. I've reported the bug and nothing's been fixed.

The LRF converter does not convert any attributes or graphics. All you get is plain text with nothing going for it.
Well, I have a full library of several different formats of books. Also I even bought a book from mobipocket just to try it out and see what it was like. Very nice experience, but I prefer to keep my files as open as I can - That way if I ever buy another ebook reader I know that they will be compatible.

ABC Ambers Lit converter works quite nice if you need to do batch conversions, but as you said, images won't be converted if you convert to txt. That is a limitation of the format. I tried with RTF and the images came along.

Still, it is a small price to pay because txt is generally the only format I think I can trust my ebooks to.
Still, I must concur that I miss some of the niceties like being able to sort the books in any particular useful way.
neocreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ABC Amber LIT Converter is based on old buggy ConvertLIT code. It screws up italics for one. Anyway, you are best to explode the LIT using the current ConvertLIT and then ZIP the results for storage. That way you have it all without the flaws introduced by ABC Amber LIT Converter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote