Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
techscott
esse quam videri
techscott began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 / iLiad
Question USB Eject a PRS-500?

After finishing loading ebooks using the Sony Connect software to my eBook I close Connect and try to eject the eBook from the Safely Remove applet on the Windows XP taskbar and there is no entry for the eBook! The eBook's screen has the "do not unplug the USB" graphic on the screen. How dod I eject this thing?
techscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, the "Do not disconnect" message should only be there while "Connect" is running. As soon as you exit "Connect" the "Stop Sign" should disappear, and the Reader screen will just say "USB Connected". At that point you can safely disconnect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
techscott
esse quam videri
techscott began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 / iLiad
Not good. It looks like I'll have to pull the cord and hope for the best. I guess reinstalling Connect is in order. I wonder if the other 4 USB devices connected to the laptop (via a hub) is causing the confusion?
techscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by techscott
Not good. It looks like I'll have to pull the cord and hope for the best. I guess reinstalling Connect is in order. I wonder if the other 4 USB devices connected to the laptop (via a hub) is causing the confusion?
I've investigated the matter of unplugging USB devices, and also posted about it in an other forum. The consensus seems to be that in most cases no harm is done by just unplugging the things without bothering to go through the Safely Remove Hardware ritual.

I've been doing it for some time now with everything except a powered external HDD, and have suffered no unwanted results. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it saves a lot of time.

Done this with my camera, the old Rocket eBook, the Reader, a flash drive and even an inkjet printer (don't unplug the latter, just turn it off). I often get a little "ping" sound, but everything continues to work fine when I plug 'em in again.

YMMV!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've never done the "safely remove hardware" thing on the Reader, I just pull the plug. Windows has never yelled at me about it (like it does with my flash drives), and I've never noticed any adverse effect on the Reader either. I'm inclined to think that it's more like a Palm Pilot connection, you don't have to eject them either.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I've never done the "safely remove hardware" thing on the Reader, I just pull the plug. Windows has never yelled at me about it (like it does with my flash drives), and I've never noticed any adverse effect on the Reader either. I'm inclined to think that it's more like a Palm Pilot connection, you don't have to eject them either.
Exactly my experience as well. Only time to worry is when a file is actually transfering.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Same here although windows sometimes crashes when I do it with various flash drives
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only time it is unsafe to pull the plug is if the reader tells you not too. Even then, sometimes you can get away with it. Basically USB communication with the reader happens in sessions. The connect s/w opens a session, reader icon changes to dont disconnect, connect does stuff, closes session, reader icon changes back.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote