Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #91
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm playing with shelves right now. I appears that even after books are added to a shelf they still appear in the library list too? Or is there a way to have them not show if they're part of a shelf?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #92
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm playing with shelves right now. I appears that even after books are added to a shelf they still appear in the library list too? Or is there a way to have them not show if they're part of a shelf?
Not that I can think of. But since Reading Life shows recently accessed shelves, I dismiss books I'm not reading to let the shelves fill my home screen. Much better than the five recent hooks display you get on the Mini/Touch/Glo.

As for the slipping question: not yet, but it's more slick than I prefer, even if the shape helps with gripping. Just put an InvisibleShield on the back tonight to add a tackier texture, while letting the nice chocolate leather brown show.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #93
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, you can choose any number between 1 and 6, although so far I've seen no ghosting with it set at 6.
And actually you can manually edit the file where the setting is stored on the Kobo and take it up to 99..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #94
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
I'm interested.
(I've been using Skim to do it. Crop then export with annotations.)
Skim works great! You can even drive it with AppleScript...
louden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #95
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wrote my first post in this thread after I had only used the Aura for an hour or so. I have revised my thinking about some of what I wrote.
  • I have gotten used to the new normal for Kobo in terms of how to access menus and "hidden" items and I am now fine with italics indicating that there are some choices that will display when the word in italics is pressed. It's not a happy thing for people using several different Kobo devices, but I'm OK with it.
  • Now that I have used it for a longer period of time, I guess my muscles memory has kicked in and I am not getting having to double press at all. The downside is that I spent a little while on a Touch today and it seemed really clunky and I was double pressing a lot.
  • It took me awhile to figure out what long presses do in various locations. The user guide was helpful there. Long press on a book in the library and the menu for putting books on shelves, deleting, etc is invoked. Long press on a shelf listing to rename or delete it. Long press on something displayed on the home page to dismiss it. That sort of thing.
  • I still think the new home screen is too crowded and that the small size of some book covers makes them very difficult to read. Now that I have dismissed some things and opened a bunch of books, I have things arranged so that this is a bit better. I think that the new books on the homescreen are particularly annoying with tiny covers.
  • I really like the fact that all of the preloaded fonts can be adjusted. That is new in this firmware, so not really Aura only.
  • I continue to be delighted by the speed of the device. It's especially noticeable when processing new content.
  • I really like the display. I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, 8 lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
  • I think that some of the problems with spacing are kepub vs epub and that the font selected can make a huge difference. My solution was to install the calibre epub to kepub plugin and to use Georgia, for now. I have not seen any issues at all with this scheme. I also enjoy the information about progress, % read, in the kepub format.
  • The higher density screen has resulted in a greater degree of satisfaction with reading with the light entirely off. With my glo I had the light on all of the time because the clarity of he text seemed better with the light on.
  • From my perspective, the amount of text on the screen really does make the Aura look and read more like a paper book.
  • I find the Aura very comfortable to hold. The shape of the back is part of that and after I got used to the feel of a nekkid reader, I found that it didn't actually feel slippery when using it, nor did it ever actually slip from my grip. I am not planning on getting a cover, at least not unless I find myself taking it out of my house more often than I am now. I read on a very big phone for the 15 minutes or so I have to read during the work day.
  • I still think that Kobo traded some usability for elegance/wow factor in terms of the interface, particularly in terms of the number of items on the home page, but I can live with it.

Last edited by taming; 04-27-2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: missing item
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #96
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
taming: thanks a lot for the real-life usability info.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #97
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thank you Taming for your feedback
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #98
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Book covers on home screen not being readable makes them nearly useless and more so with decreasing size. Good looking design with poor function. Easily solved with title or author captions below postage stamp size book covers.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #99
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It may be that younger users (with better eyesight) are not as bothered by this as I am. At 60, I see some things differently.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #100
BWinmill
Nameless Being

There is one thing that I absolutely hate about the Aura HD: Amazon has spammed me twice in the past week because they're feeling heat from the competition. I rarely receive that much unsolicited email from Amazon in the span of a year.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #101
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I wrote my first post in this thread after I had only used the Aura for an hour or so. I have revised my thinking about some of what I wrote.

[*]I still think the new home screen is too crowded and that the small size of some book covers makes them very difficult to read. Now that I have dismissed some things and opened a bunch of books, I have things arranged so that this is a bit better. I think that the new books on the homescreen are particularly annoying with tiny covers.[*]I continue to be delighted by the speed of the device. It's especially noticeable when processing new content.[*]I still think that Kobo traded some usability for elegance/wow factor in terms of the interface, particularly in terms of the number of items on the home page, but I can live with it.[/LIST]
Totally agree about the crowded home page. Fortunately I spend only a small time there and find when starting a new book I sometimes need to go to the list view to make sense of what I am seeing. My previous device was a Kobo Touch on firmware 1.9.17. I will gladly put up with a crowded, cluttered home page for the enhanced reading experience of the Aura.

My wife has a Nook Touch, but a couple of minutes with my Aura and she has ordered one for herself, in spite of confusion on the home page.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #102
spanxmcb
spanxmcb doesn't litterspanxmcb doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini 2
I wish there was more customization of the homepage. My library had a sync glitch and it marked all of my books that were finished as 1% read so now the order of my recently read books is all messed up. I wish there was a way to customize the home screen or to queue up which books you want to read next. The bookcovers are quite small, but I love the back - nice to hold - even in the sleep cover!
spanxmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #103
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
  • Now that I have used it for a longer period of time, I guess my muscles memory has kicked in and I am not getting having to double press at all. The downside is that I spent a little while on a Touch today and it seemed really clunky and I was double pressing a lot.
  • I still think the new home screen is too crowded and that the small size of some book covers makes them very difficult to read. Now that I have dismissed some things and opened a bunch of books, I have things arranged so that this is a bit better. I think that the new books on the homescreen are particularly annoying with tiny covers.
  • I continue to be delighted by the speed of the device. It's especially noticeable when processing new content.
  • I really like the display. I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, 8 lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
  • The higher density screen has resulted in a greater degree of satisfaction with reading with the light entirely off. With my glo I had the light on all of the time because the clarity of he text seemed better with the light on.
  • From my perspective, the amount of text on the screen really does make the Aura look and read more like a paper book.
Great post! I got my sweaty little paws on a display Aura this week.

I was having to double/triple press everything to get it to respond.

I didn't like the home screen at all - very crowded and the thumbnails were soooo tiny.

I did like the display of books and the size of the reader - it didn't look big and clunky.

And the higher density screen was readily apparent.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #104
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
I'm interested.
(I've been using Skim to do it. Crop then export with annotations.)
I use Briss, which does a logical crop that only masks the content in the margins. Unfortunately, the Kobo viewer on the device seems to ignore the masking. This Ghostscript command will permanently remove the margin area:

Code:
gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dUseCropBox -sOutputFile=out.pdf - < in.pdf
Note the hyphen after out.pdf and the "< in.pdf"; ie, tell Ghostscript to read from stdin and then concatenate "in.pdf" onto stdin.

This works for me on my OSX 10.6.8 laptop; haven't tried on newer or earlier versions of OSX, nor on other platforms.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanxmcb View Post
I wish there was more customization of the homepage. My library had a sync glitch and it marked all of my books that were finished as 1% read so now the order of my recently read books is all messed up. I wish there was a way to customize the home screen or to queue up which books you want to read next. The bookcovers are quite small, but I love the back - nice to hold - even in the sleep cover!
There are clumsy options. You can add books to your list by opening them from the library. You can remove books (or anything else) from the home screen by pressing and holding for a popup menu.