Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Kraftie
Kraftie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Blackberry Curve 8330
Question Problem installing ADE on Windows 7

Greetings MobileRead peeps. I'm new this forum, and eBooks in general. I received my first reader, a Kobo Vox, for my birthday two weeks ago. I have been collecting eBooks (in several formats) for a few months and have quite a few stored on my PC. I soon figured out that my Kobo only likes the ePub format. On the advice of a friend, I installed Calibre yesterday. I was told this would effectively convert my existing books into a readable format. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to transfer any of the books I'd acquired to my Kobo. I am able to successfully connect my Kobo and move the files over and the device finds them okay. However, when I try to import, I get an error message that says "not enough free space". This makes no sense as (noob or not) I know there is plenty of room on my brand new device and the Micro SD card I purchased. Puzzled, I wrote to Kobo support and they advised that files with DRM protection cannot be copied to the Vox. They suggested that I install ADE to get a better look at my PDF files. I downloaded the .exe file but even when I'm logged on as an Administrator (password protected, and my only Windows 7 account) the install fails due to insufficient privilages. I guess technically this is more than one problem but the background seemed important to explain the dilemma. Any suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kraftie; 01-15-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar errors
Kraftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You'll have to use the Aldiko app for reading, you can enter your ADE user into the app and will also be able to transfer books wirelessly with the Calibre server. See these 2 threads for instructions and Aldiko link. They talk about library books which are drm'd but process is same for purchased books.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164044j

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165373

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-15-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what your install problem for ADE could be, I have Windows 7 64-bit and had no problem installing on my computer. I don't think it essential that you have it on your PC if you're not planning to read on it. if you get your Adobe id and can enter it into Aldiko you should be good to go.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Did you download the latest release of ADE from Adobe's website?

Windows should prompt you for administrative access rather than outright denying it. One thing that I can suggest doing is right clicking on the ADE installer icon and selecting "run as administrator".

At any rate, there are two different approaches to reading ebooks from different vendors on the Vox. One is to use Calibre and convert everything to ePub. The other is to install 3rd party reader software (e.g. it is possible to install Adobe Reader and Amazon Kindle alongside Kobo).
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard

Aldiko reads books in pdf format, kobo epubs, sony epubs etc. not necessary to convert in Calibre which can't be done on drm'd books anyways unless you have found and installed some special plugins. I have books
from multiple sources and can read them all in the one app (Aldiko) whether they're drm'd or not.
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Kraftie

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, it was the latest (1.7.2) release and yes, it was a "Run as" prompt. Unfortunately, regardless of which option I chose (I tried both "Run as\Admin" and "Run as\Current User" (also an Administrator account) I get an ADE Setup error message. With current user, it's "This installer required administrative access, please try again" and with Administrator it's "Unable to elevate to administrative rights, error 6". I've never seen either message before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Did you download the latest release of ADE from Adobe's website?

Windows should prompt you for administrative access rather than outright denying it. One thing that I can suggest doing is right clicking on the ADE installer icon and selecting "run as administrator".

At any rate, there are two different approaches to reading ebooks from different vendors on the Vox. One is to use Calibre and convert everything to ePub. The other is to install 3rd party reader software (e.g. it is possible to install Adobe Reader and Amazon Kindle alongside Kobo).
Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Kraftie

Thanks for the reply. Please forgive the newbie questions. Do you use the Aldiko program on your PC/Mac or on your handheld reader? I'm visually impaired and (for some strange reason seem to) experience less eye strain when reading in night mode on my Kobo Vox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Aldiko reads books in pdf format, kobo epubs, sony epubs etc. not necessary to convert in Calibre which can't be done on drm'd books anyways unless you have found and installed some special plugins. I have books from multiple sources and can read them all in the one app (Aldiko) whether they're drm'd or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
Thanks for the reply. Please forgive the newbie questions. Do you use the Aldiko program on your PC/Mac or on your handheld reader? I'm visually impaired and (for some strange reason seem to) experience less eye strain when reading in night mode on my Kobo Vox.
Aldiko runs on your Vox.

You can grab it from here: http://www.aldiko.com/download.html

It has a tendency to disappear, so you may want to follow the instructions in post #10 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163357
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
Aldiko is an app for the reader. It has many settings to customize your reading experience such as brightness and font controls etc. on the reader. And naturally night mode...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Kraftie

Unhappy

Just an update for anyone else having the same issue. I wasn't able to download Aldiko from either the Android Marketplace (I'm thinking Marketplace might be for Android phones only) or Aldiko.com. I entered my e-mail address (same one I use on my Kobo Vox) as requested, but when I click on "Grab It" I get an error message, "Sorry, the email could not be sent. Click here to download directly. Thanks." So, I click, and I get another error message saying "Not Found". I get the same result whether I do this from my Kobo Vox or my PC so I'm thinking it's the website, not just me. I'll try and see if I can locate some mirror download sites and advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Aldiko runs on your Vox.

You can grab it from here: http://www.aldiko.com/download.html

It has a tendency to disappear, so you may want to follow the instructions in post #10 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163357
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard

I've given a direct link to Aldiko on several posts...try this link:

http://aldiko.zendesk.com/attachment...d-2.00.127.apk

And you're right, we can't access Market without some special procedures...
If you have time, read some of the threads, much good info there about finding and installing apps and what the Vox can and can't do. It's pretty much all been covered since the launch in October.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Tags
ade, install, kobo, problem with installation, vox