Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
How can I backup my Kobo library?

Just got my new Kobo touch!
A few newbie questions:

1. Does the Kobo desktop app back up my Kobo library? ie, are the books on my computer as well as on the device?
2. When I buy books from Kobo, how I can I also access them from other devices/apps?
3. What site would you recommend for buying books that will be accessible by different devices/apps?

thanks in advance!
Jody
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
1. Does the Kobo desktop app back up my Kobo library? ie, are the books on my computer as well as on the device?
Yes, they are stored on your computer but in a form that is only accessible by the Desktop application.

Quote:
2. When I buy books from Kobo, how I can I also access them from other devices/apps?
If you also download the ADOBE DRM EPUB, available under your purchase history, it can be read by Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre and all e-readers than accept side-loaded ePubs.

Quote:
3. What site would you recommend for buying books that will be accessible by different devices/apps?
Any site that sells ePubs with Adobe DRM to Canadians. This would exclude Barnes & Noble and Apple. The only one that I have used is the Sony Store. In addition to commercial sites, there are some that have public domain books which are free. One example is Project Gutenberg.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kepub books (ePUB books with Kobo's proprietary DRM and/or using their formatting) are backed up on your computer. For Windows 7, mine are here: C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub. They are also on the kobobooks site under your library link. Purchased has them all, and I'm Reading has the books you are still working with. You can move books back into I'm Reading from purchased by setting a bookmark.

There are kobo apps for most phones and tablets. I use the Kobo app for Android on my Nexus S. Books in non-kepub format do not sync, but can be sideloaded onto my phone.

Remember you can also download ADE ePUB and no DRM ePUBs from the Kobo site. People use them on all sorts of devices. Of the major e-reader players, only the Kindle does not handle ePUB format. Without DRM, they can be converted for use on the Kindle by using software like Calibre. I generally use the kepub format on my reader, but download the ePUBs for backup.

I buy most of my books from kobo, but I also download from Mobile Read, buy from Amazon (and convert), and from a variety of different storefronts.

Last edited by taming; 07-09-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I'm running Windows Vista (which on a daily basis has me wanting to lob my computer off my balcony) and it won't *let* me see my application data. Seriously...! So I'm not sure how to see/find that folder. Groan. But good to know it IS being backed up... even if I can't get at it, LOL!

I bought my first ebook from the Kobo site and downloaded the Adobe DRM version. However, what I'm really downloading seems to be a link, rather than the actual epub...? Is this correct?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes. You download the acsm file which then signals the server when you click on it to open the book in adobe. Another choice is to check open with ADE (forgot what exactly it says) as your default for that type of file. The user guide is pretty good for this sort of thing, btw.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Couldn't you just connect your Kobo to the computer and, using Windows Explorer, copy the books from the Kobo to a folder on your computer hard drive?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
I'm running Windows Vista (which on a daily basis has me wanting to lob my computer off my balcony) and it won't *let* me see my application data. Seriously...! So I'm not sure how to see/find that folder. Groan. But good to know it IS being backed up... even if I can't get at it, LOL!
The backup for your Kobo books is really the Kobo servers since if you sign out of your Kobo account the data on your computer is erased but is then restored from the Kobo servers when you sign back in and sync your library.

On a Windows Vista computer the temporary storage location for your Kobo books is under the AppData\Local\Kobo directory. If you cannot locate this you may have to change your folder viewing options.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-09-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
... if you sign out of your Kobo account the data on your computer is erased but is then restored from the Kobo servers when you sign back in and sync you library ...

... temporary storage location ...
The more I read, the more I am getting afraid of that wonky Kobo application and the proprietary Kobo-EPUB format... I'm still waiting for my Kobo Touch to arrive, but I am glad I read all this before I spend a lot of money on ebooks. I'll buy EPUBs compliant to open standards.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
jodykihara
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
Couldn't you just connect your Kobo to the computer and, using Windows Explorer, copy the books from the Kobo to a folder on your computer hard drive?
Hm, I just tried that and the Kobo crashed and made me do a factory reset! Hopefully that was a one-off... anyone else had that problem?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
The more I read, the more I am getting afraid of that wonky Kobo application and the proprietary Kobo-EPUB format... I'm still waiting for my Kobo Touch to arrive, but I am glad I read all this before I spend a lot of money on ebooks. I'll buy EPUBs compliant to open standards.
A standard ePub is also available for all of your Kobo purchases by downloading the ADOBE DRM EPUB in your purchase history. i.e. you could have two versions of an ePub, Kobo's format and the standard format.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hm, I just tried that and the Kobo crashed and made me do a factory reset! Hopefully that was a one-off... anyone else had that problem?
That is definitely not normal behaviour!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Most (not quite all) of the books you buy from Kobo will allow you to download both the native kepub as well an Adobe DRM'ed e-pub version, so you should be safe. Actually I should say sync the native kepub and download the ADE e-pub.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
You cannot copy books from your Kobo directory to your e-reader. You must first download the ADOBE DRM EPUB. This ePub can be copied to your e-reader using Windows Explorer or by using applications such as Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
jodykihara
Author

No, wasn't copying from the directory; I was actually copying over some epubs that I had on my computer (per instructions above) when the Kobo crashed.
I'm hoping it doesn't crash often...!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
No, wasn't copying from the directory; I was actually copying over some epubs that I had on my computer (per instructions above) when the Kobo crashed.
I'm hoping it doesn't crash often...!
Direct copying should work as long as you copy the ePubs to the e-reader root directory or to a directory that you have created on the reader. e.g. if you copy ePubs to the .kobo directory you will give your reader a serious case of indigestion.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-09-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Tags
backup, files, kobo