Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
gswilliams
gswilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo powers on while in sleep mode

I have a brand new Kobo (1 month old) and frequently when I put the unit into sleep mode and walk away, when I look at it - it has powered back on.
My concern is that it will drain the battery faster, but I'd like to know why it is doing this.
I don't have WiFi enabled on the device so I don't believe that would be a cause.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thank you.
gswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

I'll see if this post can be moved to the Kobo Forum, so your question can be answered there .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Thread moved to this Kobo Reader forum for better response. (And welcome to MR, gswilliams )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Be sure that you have newpaper subscriptions disabled.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
To add to ltr's reply, if you have newspaper & magazine subscriptions enabled your Kobo will periodically wake up to see if there are any new editions to download. To turn this option off so your Kobo doesn't turn on by itself, go to menu/settings/general.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

I have two kobos in my home. One for me, one for my spouse. We both have had ours start up from being totally powered off, not just from sleep mode.

Just this morning, my husband watched as his went from being shut off, to turning itself on while sitting on his night stand. Oddly, I was coming here this evening to post about it and ask if anyone else has it happen.

Also, I don't have any newpaper/magazine subscriptions, and I always keep the WIFI option turned off.

It's strange.
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even if you don't actually have any subscriptions you still need to turn off checking for daily updates (see post above). If it's doing this in the morning that would be the first thing I would check. I have to admit that I didn't think it would do that if it was completely Powered Down though.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
gswilliams
gswilliams began at the beginning.

Kobo powers on while in sleep mode

I checked the settings and found that Newspaper/Subscriptions was enabled.
I have disabled this setting and hope that this resolves this issue.

Thanks to all for your responses.
gswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
jdebox
Librarian
jdebox began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO reader; Nook HD+, Android
Thanks--I had only noticed mine doing that behavior after updating firmware to 1.9. I hope this resolves the issue.
jdebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
To add to ltr's reply, if you have newspaper & magazine subscriptions enabled your Kobo will periodically wake up to see if there are any new editions to download. To turn this option off so your Kobo doesn't turn on by itself, go to menu/settings/general.
I noticed this myself, and given that I have wireless disabled on my kobo, it's ridiculous that it wakes itself up anyway. That's a bug for sure.
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nope. Not a bug as it is completely under the control of the user whether this happens or not. What the default should be is, perhaps, another story .

Some people want the reader to check in so that their newspaper can be there first thing in the AM without having to turn the WiFi on. It will be interesting to see the final implementation on the Touch--which has a much, much easier way to initiate a WiFi connection then the slooooow multiple step process on the WiFi Kobo.

Last edited by taming; 06-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote