Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Sara_J
Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Question Placing inside-links in your Kindle book to reference different sections

Hi guys,

As I'm preparing my Kindle book, I was thinking, do any of you authors link to the different sections of the book inside? What I mean is, other than the Table of Contents, do you do any more linking inside the book? For example:

Just like you read in Part II (insert link/hyperlink), you will be reading more about it in this part.

Is it too much of a problem to be linking inside the book to other sections/parts of the book? I don't have a Kindle tablet yet, so I don't know if authors do it or if it is possible to do

Thanks you all
Sara_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
It's quite common to use hyperlinks to footnotes (or, more properly, endnotes). Many people include a link back from the note to the text, just in case the reader has no "back" button. I've also seen lists of illustrations with links, but I suppose this is a kind of TOC.

There's no reason why you shouldn't use links elsewhere as well, but you'll need to do a lot of testing.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Sara_J
Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
It's quite common to use hyperlinks to footnotes (or, more properly, endnotes). Many people include a link back from the note to the text, just in case the reader has no "back" button. I've also seen lists of illustrations with links, but I suppose this is a kind of TOC.

There's no reason why you shouldn't use links elsewhere as well, but you'll need to do a lot of testing.
Many thanks! Do you know where I can read and learn on how to insert links in the Kindle book like we are talking about? I managed to find a guide on how to do the ToC but not on how to link inside the book.

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Sara

It's very simple to create hyperlinks in the ebook. It's a two-step process:

1) create an anchor in the target file you will link to

2) create a link to this anchor in the file you will link from

For example, using Sigil, you create an anchor using a pair of DIV tags and an ID property in the target / linked-to file just above the place you want to link to:

<div id="ANCHOR_NAME"> </div>

In Sigil this is what you should enter in the file you are linking from:

<p><a href="../Text/FILENAME_OF_LINKED_TO_FILE.xhtml#ANCHOR_NAME">The user will see the text here</a></p>

Obviously both FILENAME_OF_LINKED_TO_FILE and ANCHOR_NAME can be anything you choose, always best to keep them logical! You can, of course, also link to positions within the same file / chapter. And as Martin says, you need to test each link on the Kindle itself.

Hope this helps!
cathalmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Sara_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathalmc View Post
Hi Sara

It's very simple to create hyperlinks in the ebook. It's a two-step process:

1) create an anchor in the target file you will link to

2) create a link to this anchor in the file you will link from

For example, using Sigil, you create an anchor using a pair of DIV tags and an ID property in the target / linked-to file just above the place you want to link to:

<div id="ANCHOR_NAME"> </div>

In Sigil this is what you should enter in the file you are linking from:

<p><a href="../Text/FILENAME_OF_LINKED_TO_FILE.xhtml#ANCHOR_NAME">The user will see the text here</a></p>

Obviously both FILENAME_OF_LINKED_TO_FILE and ANCHOR_NAME can be anything you choose, always best to keep them logical! You can, of course, also link to positions within the same file / chapter. And as Martin says, you need to test each link on the Kindle itself.

Hope this helps!
Great thanks, this is what I was looking for but could not find searching it online.

One thing though, I'm using OpenOffice to write the manuscript and I have an online guide that shows me how to put it into Kindle via OpenOffice alone (i.e. not using Sigil). Can I put this same code in OpenOffice or is there any other way to do it via OpenOffice?

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't used OpenOffice but I'm sure there will be a facility to create anchors and hyperlinks within the document, and I'm sure it won't involve writing any HTML code.

In Microsoft Word an anchor is called a bookmark and you can find them under the Insert menu. Hyperlinks are still hyperlinks.

Create the bookmark at the place you want to link to, and add a hyperlink anywhere in the document where you want to link to that bookmark.
cathalmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Creating links is fine but be aware that as the user moves around, the Kindle's Furthest Page Read setting will be affected.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara_J View Post
Great thanks, this is what I was looking for but could not find searching it online.
If you do a Google search for "HTML tutorial", it returns approximately 1.7 million hits. I'm sure that every one of them explains how to do hyperlinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you do a Google search for "HTML tutorial", it returns approximately 1.7 million hits. I'm sure that every one of them explains how to do hyperlinks.
Did you read each and ever one? If not, then I doubt your assuredness. :P :P
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Did you read each and ever one? If not, then I doubt your assuredness. :P :P
Yes - every one!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - every one!
Now wait a minute. I am not so sure about that. You might need to check again.

Let us know please.

... by the end of the day, please.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
lissie
Enthusiast
lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Did you figure out how to add internal hyperlinks? Its straightforward in Openoffice and similar to Word - but unless you are writing very simply formatted content, you will struggle to go export straight from OO to a well-formatted Kindle book.
lissie is offline   Reply With Quote