Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
PRS-300 makes 10-year-old cool

I broke down and bought my 10-year-old daughter a PRS-300 for Hanukkah. She's been begging for an eBook device for quite a while (watching me use my 505 extensively) and she certainly reads enough to make it worthwhile. The biggest hesitation was the lack of age-appropriate books for her (not that there aren't any, but just not a lot). But I bought it for her anyway (with the light cover) and loaded it with a handful of books plus a bunch of classics. In three days, she's already blown through "Maximum Ride" and is halfway through "The Princess Bride". She's been taking it everywhere and all of her friends want to see it and then they want to show their mothers. She was cool before, but now that she's toting an eBook she's really cool.

Her twin brother, who doesn't read so much, thought it was unfair that she got the gadget and he didn't (he's a tech hound). I told him that if he starts to read as much as she does, I'll be happy to get him one.

Oh. One other thing. She chose silver, not pink. That's my girl.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Very nice! I'm happy for her.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice... good gift you got here.

BTW: I also love Maximum Ride... have read all of them...

Yes, I like books that appeal to 10yo girls... what can I say. At least I'm cool cause I have an ebook reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
What a nice dad! I also love the Max Ride books (a fun and light read).

Happy Hanukkah!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
What a great gift for your daughter! I'm happy that she is enjoying her gift, I sure would have loved a reader at her age. I was thinking about getting my 8 year old niece a PRS-300, but was similarly concerned about not being able to find many books for her age group. I think I'll wait until her birthday rolls around and pre-load her some books on the reader beforehand. I'm pretty sure that my niece would like the pink, however!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Congrats to your daughter and good job making her into a reader! Two threads which might interest you and are full of recs, free and otherwise: this one and this one.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Congrats to your daughter and good job making her into a reader! Two threads which might interest you and are full of recs, free and otherwise: this one and this one.
Thanks for the links, this will help me in buying books for my niece
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
An excellent gift idea, you are indeed a good dad. When my grandkids get old enough I plan on getting them a reader. I figure anything to encourage them to read, and learn.

Happy Hanukkah!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My sister is 13 and she's getting one for Christmas. She did want pink though
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Don't underestimate the maturity of a young reader. Back in the 'dark ages', I had read thru everything our public library had to offer for children. Miss Dietz, the children's librarian, got permission for me to check out books from the adult section...OH JOY!!!! I think kids will dismiss that which is too advanced for them rather quickly.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Don't underestimate the maturity of a young reader. Back in the 'dark ages', I had read thru everything our public library had to offer for children. Miss Dietz, the children's librarian, got permission for me to check out books from the adult section...OH JOY!!!! I think kids will dismiss that which is too advanced for them rather quickly.
I'm not sure if he is worried about advanced as much as adult content that can be found in many adult books.

BTW: I recommend you get "The Time Cavern" by MR member Todd A Fonseca. It is a juvenile and a great read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I'm not too worried about adult content; rather, my concern is that not enough (a) will interest her or (b) will she understand. From my perspective, I'm not too concerned about adult content; when she is interested in the themes and can understand them, as far as I'm concerned, she can read about them. If she has questions or concerns, answering and talking about them is one of my jobs as a parent.

I come to this somewhat from my own experience. At the end of 2nd grade, my parents were told that I had a reading disability. My father thought that was BS and that the problem was that I hadn't found any boooks that I enjoyed. So that summer, he made me read a Hardy Boys book. By the end of the summer, I'd finished all of the Hardy Boys books and moved on (and in the early 70s there were far fewer age-appropriate books...). By late in 4th grade, my parents were called in to talk to the teacher because she thought my choice in reading material ("The Adventurers" by Harold Robbins) was a bit mature. My parents told her to ask me about the book and see if I could explain it to her. That was the end of that problem.

So, when my daughter thinks that she's ready to read more adult material, I'll be right there ready to help her. But so far she's not ready and I'm not pushing her.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote