Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kobo: Is Shortcovers launching their own e-reader?

We just received this interesting tidbit from eagle-eyed MobileReader Nic "nboshart":

---
Hey folks,
I was reading an article at Mark Bertels' blog about Shortcovers buying a domain name called Kobo. A quick check on the Canadian Trademark page reveals that it's the name of an ereading device. Here's an article in Quill and Quire: http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/in.../what-is-kobo/

Not much info, but I guess it's on its way.
---

Link to the trademark: here
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
It appears they've applied DRM to the work "Book" to come up with the name so I guess there isn't much hope of the device being DRM free.

Although I'm not likely to buy one I hope they come out with the device. More competition is a good thing.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
I forgot to post it here - Inkmesh is on the Shortcovers affiliate list. I thought we would get their data that way, but we didn't, so we had to resort to other tactics to get Shortcovers ebooks into our index, and now we have over 50,000 ebooks from them! But I digress. We got the following email on Dec 9:

Quote:
Dear Affiliate,

There are some big changes coming to Shortcovers! Next week Shortcovers will have a new name and, with that, a brand new look! We are still working on the finishing touches so you’ll have to wait and see the final results.

To help you transition, we have produced some unbranded creative that you can use until the new banners and company information are released on December 15, 2009.

Our current holiday offer of 20% off any eBook until December 31, 2009 is still valid. The promo codes will also remain the same:
new20 = 20% off any eBook
promo20 = 20% off any eBook
Each discount code will allow customers to get 20% off any eBook of their choice - one purchase per customer.

Log in to the Google Affiliate Network today to upload the transition creative. Keep your eyes out next week for information on our exciting changes, the new brand creative and some special offers for you.

The Shortcovers Marketing Team
www.shortcovers.com
Here is the web version of this email: http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=b...9&e=1da7d2d24e
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Couple of interesting quotes from the trade-mark registration.

Under Wares (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Portable electronic devices for receiving, downloading, displaying, providing access to and reading text, images and sound and other digital content through wireless Internet access...
Under Services (again emphasis mine):
Quote:
...the operation and hosting of a website which allows users to, among other things, manage, distribute and share digital content, including books, serialized books...
I can live without wireless internet access but that share digital content comment has me intrigued.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Couple of interesting quotes from the trade-mark registration.

Under Wares (emphasis mine):

Under Services (again emphasis mine):

I can live without wireless internet access but that share digital content comment has me intrigued.

Shortcovers.com allows you to upload your own stories, articles etc, and I think that's what they're referring to here. (http://www.shortcovers.com/shortcovers/create.html)
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Dang - knew my assumption was too good to be true. I'd love to see online bookstores allow us to set up a 'friends and family' type of group. Say groups of 5 to 10 people who could legally share their books amongst themselves, only one person reading a book at one time. I know, I know - the publishers would have to allow it.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote