Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Savonarola
Savonarola began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest looking into right angled adaptors.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll follow it up. That would clearly be an improvement - I'd still prefer the slot in the top, though, because even with something little like this, the bottom edge of the reader won't be flat, so I can't prop it against a tabletop, which is how I tend to read.
Savonarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #17
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I don't like it at the bottom, I'd prefer it on the side, however there are difficulties no matter where you put it. A "tether" will always be awkward for some dependant on how they use it.

I fully agree a better pan and scroll with the keys would be nice, just an incremental pan say a line or 2 at a time would be nice & with a jump of say 5 - 10 lines if held for a bit longer.
I understnad the problems of e-ink in that repsenct but sometimes you only need a line or 2 to sho the end or page edge, especially with A4 or simillar documents.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I don't like it at the bottom, I'd prefer it on the side, however there are difficulties no matter where you put it. A "tether" will always be awkward for some dependant on how they use it.

I fully agree a better pan and scroll with the keys would be nice, just an incremental pan say a line or 2 at a time would be nice & with a jump of say 5 - 10 lines if held for a bit longer.
I understnad the problems of e-ink in that repsenct but sometimes you only need a line or 2 to sho the end or page edge, especially with A4 or simillar documents.
Why not just have the pan limit itself to the page? Then if there is only a couple of lines it would pan only a couple of lines. I think this is better than trying to move the display one or two lines at a time when you don't know where the edge is.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
At the request other members, I tried to get this thread marked as sticky a few days ago, but nothing has happened. I haven't even received a simply 2-letter NO reply to my request. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way since I have never done this before.

The only contact I could find is this generic page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sendmessage.php
(other boards usually have a direct link to a moderator of that specific group)

Any advice? Did I miss something obvious?
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
At the request other members, I tried to get this thread marked as sticky a few days ago, but nothing has happened. I haven't even received a simply 2-letter NO reply to my request. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way since I have never done this before.

The only contact I could find is this generic page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sendmessage.php
(other boards usually have a direct link to a moderator of that specific group)

Any advice? Did I miss something obvious?
the best way to request a sticky is to send a pm to a moderator (look for the names in green). i'm not sure where the contact form messages arrive, but they probably go to alex, and he's been busy / travelling lately so might not have seen it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Or use the ! button to "report" the first post and put your request as the "reason". Worked pretty fast for me
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Or use the ! button to "report" the first post and put your request as the "reason". Worked pretty fast for me
yes, or do that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, I saw the reported post and have stuck (stickied?) the thread, as requested.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #24
bug99
bug99 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
does anyone know if you can hook up a mini-USB keyboard for note-taking on the DR1000S? if not, could someone pretty please enable that feature? I type much faster than I write...
bug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug99 View Post
does anyone know if you can hook up a mini-USB keyboard for note-taking on the DR1000S? if not, could someone pretty please enable that feature? I type much faster than I write...
Not in the short term. This was already discussed on this forum, if you care to search for related posts.

There is still some speculation if the available USB port could be hacked to work in Host Mode (it's not supported by iRex, but maybe the hardware does) Then you would need an adapter: female standard USB connector -> male Mini B USB connector. I haven't found one anywhere.

The best bet for keyboard support might be the upcoming wireless version of the DR1000, which includes Bluetooth. The reader has a software keyboard though, otherwise if typing is a priority may I suggest something called a "laptop"
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Then you would need an adapter: female standard USB connector -> male Mini B USB connector. I haven't found one anywhere.
What you need is a female-female adapter and they are common. I use one to be able to connect for example a keyboard to my Nokia N810.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What you need is a female-female adapter and they are common. I use one to be able to connect for example a keyboard to my Nokia N810.
Didn't think of that: standard Mini B cable into the reader, Female-Female adapter inbetween, USB keyboard cable at the end... That's a lotta cable, could sit across the room with that
Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The best bet for keyboard support might be the upcoming wireless version of the DR1000, which includes Bluetooth.
Yes, although the FAQ says:
Quote:
Q: In what facility has Bluetooth been implemented?
A: The main function is to setup a data connection to a 3G enabled mobile phone (dial-up) in order to connect to the internet. Other functions can be added depending customer requests.
Unlike the USB port, which may or may not have the hardware for keyboard support, it is definitely possible to support a bluetooth keyboard with the right software on the DR1000SW.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #29
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Thanks for all the feedback, I will make sure to check this regularly and pass on these items

by the way there is also a sub-forum at the iRex forum to post your feedback and bugs, which we will monitor and comment on.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #30
sasilk
Connoisseur
sasilk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12"; Kindle Paperwhite
Feature request

The iLiad had one little thing that the DR doesn't - the option to open to the document (and place) that you were at when you closed down.

If that could be implemented I'd be a happier munchkin. ('Happier' because I'm certainly not unhappy with the DR just as it is.)
sasilk is offline   Reply With Quote