Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Secure Mobi to something I can use on my 505?

Hi all, and apologies if this information appears elsewhere.

I want to use the 50% off FW discount to buy a book that, strangely, is only offered in eReader and Secure Mobi. I have no idea how to convert this to something I can use on my Sony 505. With the help of the great community here, I learned how to run MS Reader files through clit and then use calibre to get it on my reader. Can someone point me in the right direction to do same with a Mobi file? Or is it impossible?
Thank you in advance!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Mobipocket Decoder Tool and eReader Decoder Tool. I'm not sure if anyone has done a direct test of MOBI vs eReader as the source for format shifting, but my impression is that either is ok.

Based on DRM free files, there is little doubt that sometimes MOBI is worse than LIT for format shifting - but it is usually "good enough". There are relatively few DRM-free eReader ebooks, so this format is harder to compare with LIT and MOBI for format shifting.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thank you. OK, have installed Python - I take it that mobidedrm.py is something separate that has to be installed? (Yeah, I know you're not allowed to tell people how to do it, but any help at all is appreciated. Total computer illiterate, here.)
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest starting with Mobidedrm - How the heck do you use it??
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
You run a python script from a command prompt. If you installed python correctly, just typing the name of the python script should give you info on how to use it. Something like Script.py Bookname Newname MobipocketID. Something like that
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
You run a python script from a command prompt. If you installed python correctly, just typing the name of the python script should give you info on how to use it. Something like Script.py Bookname Newname MobipocketID. Something like that
Or if you dont like to use the command prompt too much, in windows if all the files (Books and script) are in the same directory, type the command sequence in a text file and save it in the save directory.

Then rename the extension.bat and you should be able to run the script without having to type directly in the command prompt.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Then rename the extension.bat and you should be able to run the script without having to type directly in the command prompt.
The command prompt really isn't all that scary. Sounds like more work to create a bat file for every book you want to convert and then running it. Your typing the command into the text editor to make the bat file anyway. Why not just type the command at the prompt.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The command prompt really isn't all that scary. Sounds like more work to create a bat file for every book you want to convert and then running it. Your typing the command into the text editor to make the bat file anyway. Why not just type the command at the prompt.

BOb
The main reason is that it makes it easy for me to cut and paste file names and less chances of making a typo. (I'm really out of practice on the command line as I last used it regularly in 1994-5)

I've only got one file, I just paste in the filename of the downloaded file (I Download straight to that directory) and the out file (usually the same with-1 added) with the PID already entered and saved.

I can usually get this done much faster then if I tried to type directly in the command prompt.

Same for mobi2Html so that I have a Html archive copy.

Delete the DRM locked version.

Then I just rename all the files Author - Title and move them to my eBooks directory. All in all thats about 2 minutes inn total.

Hmm... let me see if I can run a command to do both one after the other
Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The main reason is that it makes it easy for me to cut and paste file names and less chances of making a typo. (I'm really out of practice on the command line as I last used it regularly in 1994-5)
I see. Of course you can cut and paste in the command window. Also, don't forget the tab key in cmd window... start typing the file name and hit tab.. if there is more than one match for what you typed in so far hit tab again, it will cycle through the selections.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-13-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see. Of course you can cut and paste in the command window.

BOb
I know, but this just makes it a little easier in how I use it.

Also, I just tried out the combined scripts, and it works great so should reduce the processing time even further

It's more of a personal choice, and for people who may not be that comfortable using the command line directly its a viable option.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's more of a personal choice, and for people who may not be that comfortable using the command line directly its a viable option.
As you say, to each his own.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I type at the command prompt -- script .prc " .prc" Mobipocket-ID -- and press enter. I get an error message that it's an invalid script. I then hit the up key and add the first book's info. When it's done I press the up key twice and add the second book's info, etc I don't cut and paste (other than the book's name sometimes) and I only type the command once

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-13-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I type at the command prompt "script .prc " .prc" Mobipocket" and press enter. I get an error message that it's an invalid script. I then hit the up key and add the first book's info. When it's done I press the up key twice and add the second book's info, etc I don't cut and paste (other than the book's name sometimes) and I only type the command once
Try this, type mo<tab>... press tab again until the correct script name is listed. Then type the first few chars of your book file... then press tab... press tab until it is the correct name. Press space then type the first few characters of your book name... then press tab until the same book name appears. Press back arrow 4 times then type _free then type right arrow 4 times, a space then type your PID. It goes alot faster then you can read it... and you will have no typos in any of the names.

Of course, the above will only work if the script file and book file are in the current folder. Although, the script name is pretty easy to remember and not mess up if you are running that from your path.

BOb

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Thanks for that tip!!! I only have to type 1 line per convertion so it's not a big deal to type it, but this will come in handy for other stuff!! I really should read up on a DOS book, that little command prompt is very useful!!