Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
gjergji
gjergji began at the beginning.

Device: none
ONYX BOOX i62HD Firefly considerations

Hello everyone,

New to the forums, and considering my first ereader.
Since where I live there are no options for buying locally, or physically checking them before, the only source of information are the forums.

Seriously considering the ONYX BOOX i62HD Firefly because of:

1. frontlight (same technology as GLO and PW?)
2. Physical buttons for page turn
3. SDCARD expansion + 8gb internal
4. Support for all unprotected formats I can think of and some..
5. Audio features

What i am concerned for:

1. Build quality of the e-ink screen (both GLO and PW seem to have issues)
2. Touchscreen is glass (updated) (need to know how easily is to accidentally break it)
3. Software. Is it good? Will it crash more than not? Will we have software updates on a regular bases (if needed).. I know that Booxtor provides excellent support, but without him we are left in the cold?
4. frontlight uniformity.. How can we expect it to be?
5. A bit on the heavy side 250gr.
6. Bad pixel policy? (really the best if tested before shipping)

Since I will definitely purchase it from:
http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html

Maybe if Booxtor, or anyone with more info would be so kind as to elaborate where possible on the above it would mean a lot to me.

Last edited by gjergji; 10-13-2012 at 02:41 PM.
gjergji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
At the moment I am looking into the Firefly myself.

There is very little info on this reader at the moment, as far as reviews are concerned.
But as far as the specs go the Firefly seems a dream come through.
From what I gather about the Onyx brand in general their readers appear to be quite good.

It can read ePUB, Mobi, doc(x), comic formats, and much much more, even djvu. Its incredible.
It also features text to speech.
I believe I read somewhere the screen is glass, but I am not sure.
I also read their software features a very good bookmarking and annotation system on par with that of Sony.

The specialized dealer I bought my Sony reader from is very enthusiastic about the quality of the Onyx readers and I take his word on it.

All in all I get the feeling that Onyx is trying to create the e-reader that rules them all.
I think they might just have succeeded.

I will wait for the first reviews to come in and then I will decide between this reader and Kobo Glo.

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-12-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
gjergji

I would love to read if possible Booxtor's thoughts on my above post.
It would be of use to all prospect buyers/preorders on this seemingly great device.

Thank you Booxtor in advance.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
gjergji

.. with no info from Booxtor I'll wait for the reviews before I make my mind on purchasing this. Kobo glo is my other alternative...

even if though hardware wise Firefly seems to be good , there are mixed reviews for the M92 software for example and they probably share the same architecture.

on the other side... this looks goooood: http://armdevices.net/2012/10/17/ony...te-competitor/
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for that new link. I have been trying frantically to find more video's about this device. So far to no avail.

I'd have to say this Onyx device seems to be the better choice when I compare it with its competitors. It has more features than any of them.
Also, from what I have seen now in a few videos, I think it has excellent quality, evenly distributed front lighting without the shadows I have seen on the Kindle for example.
I would have preferred a 1 GHz processor like the Kobo Glo has, but the Onyx device seems responsive enough as is.
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I am very confused! Are there two new Onyx 6" models being released in November? One set of videos calls it "Firefly" and the newest video "Moon Light" (it's Firefly on the store site). I think I've even seen "Aurora" a time or two. The only difference that I see between the Firefly and the Moon Light is the screen resolution: 1024x758 and 1024x768, respectively (which may just be a typo). What am I missing?

I also want to be sure of something before I order one or the other. The features listed on the ereader store site state "Font size and family change..."; does that mean that you can install your own TTF font faces or just that you can choose from within an Onyx provided selection of font familes?
thx,
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
You should see:
"Angel Glow" on http://www.facebook.com/onyxboox
and big review (with many fotos) on
http://www.the-ebook.org/?p=14699
Google Translate should help
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
gjergji

so i62 "Aurora" "Firefly" "Angel Glow" "Moon Light" (I think this last one is the frontlight technology marketing name) are the same products but for different markets?

Last edited by gjergji; 10-20-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjergji View Post
so i62 "Aurora" "Firefly" "Angel Glow" "Moon Light" (I think this last one is the frontlight technology marketing name) are the same products but for different markets?
Hi,
"Aurora" is product name of i62HD with frontlight in Russian market. This model however does not have audio hardware.
"Firefly" is product name of same model for western market. This model has audio on board.
"Angel Glow" is possibly same hardware like "Firefly" but this model will be probably distributed by Polish company Arta Tech. Thus some software differences to Firefly are possible.

"Moon Light" is the name of frontlight technology, used by Onyx. Should be better than GlowLight, however I didn't chance to compare them.

Now to your questions from earlier post:

1. Build quality of the e-ink screen (both GLO and PW seem to have issues)

I am testing the Firefly for few weeks and I did not discovered any issues with MoonLight.

2. Touchscreen is glass (updated) (need to know how easily is to accidentally break it)

i62HD and (Firlefy) are delivered with very stable protective cover. The device has also a massive metal plate inside to avoid deformations of the body. It is quite hard to accidently break the screen. But it is glass though, so you have take care of it.

3. Software. Is it good? Will it crash more than not? Will we have software updates on a regular bases (if needed).. I know that Booxtor provides excellent support, but without him we are left in the cold?

The current software is quite stable (no freezes during testing period). And I promise I won't left you in the cold in the future too

4. frontlight uniformity.. How can we expect it to be?

It is OK. There is a very narrow area in top part of the screen (2-3mm), where you can see some non-uniformity. But it is not disturbing at all.

5. A bit on the heavy side 250gr.

Because of stabilizing metal plate inside. As soon as plastic screens are available those metal plates can be abandoned, but now it is better to have them.

6. Bad pixel policy? (really the best if tested before shipping)

There is no something like "bad pixel" possible on Eink Technology. We had some problem with "stuck" pixels of screens delivered in last winter (because of transporting in cold season). After a couple of refreshing flashes of the screen those "stuck" pixels disappeared by themself.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I am very confused! Are there two new Onyx 6" models being released in November? One set of videos calls it "Firefly" and the newest video "Moon Light" (it's Firefly on the store site). I think I've even seen "Aurora" a time or two. The only difference that I see between the Firefly and the Moon Light is the screen resolution: 1024x758 and 1024x768, respectively (which may just be a typo). What am I missing?

I also want to be sure of something before I order one or the other. The features listed on the ereader store site state "Font size and family change..."; does that mean that you can install your own TTF font faces or just that you can choose from within an Onyx provided selection of font familes?
thx,
The new Firefly will be available in November for sure. It is already in production. The correct resolution is 1024x758. EInk produces 6" HD screens in this resolution only.
W.r.t. font family - you can install easely your own fonts and use them for reading of some formats (e.g. EPUB , FB2) and Reading software (FBReader, Coolreader) in all Onyx Boox readers. In PDFs the fonts are embedded and no changeable.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Hi,
considering a new reader here and Firefly is on top of my list, so many questions come to mind Just a couple I can think of right now:
Landscape view for non pdf formats?
QUERTY virtual keyboard? And if not what kind of substitute?

Last edited by yayo; 10-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Sooo...which frontlight technology does Firefly use? GlowLight or Moon Light? If I read your post correctly the answer is MoonLight.

Does the Berry PB611 cover fit the i62HD Firefly?

Sorry for being so dense, Booxtor, but...
thx, d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 10-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Any news on Android port to Firefly?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Booxtor thank you very much for the clarification.

It remains an important question: Does the Firefly loses contrast with the i62HD, due to light diffusion filter?

thanks
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Sooo...which frontlight technology does Firefly use? GlowLight or Moon Light? If I read your post correctly the answer is MoonLight.

Does the Berry PB611 cover fit the i62HD Firefly?

Sorry for being so dense, Booxtor, but...
thx, d
Charliebird,
The Firefly's cover is included in the box:

What you get in the box:

-1x Onyx Boox i62HD Ebook Reader
-1x i62HD Reader Cover
-16GB MicroSD Memory Card
-1x USB Data cable
-1x USB Charger
-1x i62 Quick Start Guide

(http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPE_OaOkX0o&hd=1)

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.