Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
juanlfm
juanlfm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Updating database on different PC

I use identical databases on different and separate PC´s. If I update the database on one PC by adding new books, how can I update the other PC without copying the complete updated Calibre library to the other PC, a process which can take hours.
juanlfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can use a sync utility. I use rsync in Linux for similar purposes.

That way only changes have to be copied. Make sure Calibre is not running while the sync is being done.

I use rsync to update a backup copy of the Calibre library every time I reboot. Also I use this backup copy to update the library for a virtual instance of the Calibre server. Every time I start the virtual machine, with the Calibre server, the library is updated from the backup copy, also using rsync. So I have three copies of the Calibre library. One copy I update, one backup and one copy of the backup that is used by the Calibre server. In this way each sync can be done independently and automatically, without having to manually shut down Calibre on the other machine.

Note that my setup only copies changes in one direction. It cannot sync changes that happens at both machines. If anything is changed on the virtual machine, those changes are overwritten the next sync.

Google "sync utility windows" for ideas about suitable programs.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I use SyncToy, a free utility from Microsoft. It can be slow the first time you run it, but after that it's pretty fast. It checks the files for differences then only copies the changes. You can select from three different sync schemes depending on your needs.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
juanlfm

Thank you both for your great suggestions. I didn´t even know such software existed. I recently purchased Powerdesk 8.5 Pro. It advertised this facility but I haven´t been able to get it working. So thank you again: I am off to give synctoy a try.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@jualfm - I recommend RichCopy over SyncToy (also free from Microsoft). RichCopy does not leave "hidden files" in your directories to keep track of what is in there. Not a major thing but used to irritate me
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@jualfm - I recommend RichCopy over SyncToy (also free from Microsoft).
+1 .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
+1 .
... and me too
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
juanlfm

I have tried SyncToy and it seems to be working well. Thanks again. Just seen the RichCopy suggestion. I may give that a try also. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
juanlfm

I have got as far as downloading and beginning the RichCopy instalation. Encountered decompression of files and thought, I am happy with Synctoy, which was a trouble free straight forward instalation; so I am going to stay with it. But thank you for all the advice which others may also find useful.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
juanlfm

Synctoy is working very well. So again thank you to all who have contributed.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
You're welcome! Glad it's working for you.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote