Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
I have a question too. I am considering buying an illiad but I have some questions.
1. Can you only annotate pdf files?
2. How big can you make the font size in other file formats? (I don't see very well, thats why I am asking)
3. How quick is the response time in flipping pages and cycling through menus compared with other ebook devices?
4. Seeing as you can write and draw pictures on a note pad, can you then attach these files to other document formats?
5. Does it support pull down menus?

I am asking these questions because I believe I made a mistake in buying my Cybook because it is slow and relatively featureless. I got it because I knew that I could make the font big enough to read.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
iLiad is no faster than CyBook Gen3
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcowboy View Post
1. Can you only annotate pdf files?
2. How big can you make the font size in other file formats? (I don't see very well, thats why I am asking)
3. How quick is the response time in flipping pages and cycling through menus compared with other ebook devices?
4. Seeing as you can write and draw pictures on a note pad, can you then attach these files to other document formats?
5. Does it support pull down menus?
1. Yes, only PDFs.
2. In FBReader, 72 pt is possible but 36 pt puts enough text on each line (shown below) with any font. In MobiPocket Reader, about 36 pt but with limited font selection, no hyphenation and no control of line spacing. The font size of the contentlister (menus) can't be changed. See the attached screenshots. Don't forget that the screen is larger than the Gen3's, but still relatively small.
3. Slower. MobiPocket Reader is optimized but still a bit slower than other devices. 3rd party software like FBReader can be very slow.
4. I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
5. Standard apps use the icons at the bottom of the screen for most things. For example, in MobiPocket Reader the font size of changed by clicking on the Aa-up or Aa-down icons. Ported X11 apps can use any GTK+ (say) features, but X11 partial screen updates often cause ghosting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_FBR_large.png
Views:	1275
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	14128   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_large.png
Views:	1306
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	14129   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_menu.png
Views:	1385
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	14130  

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-06-2008 at 10:17 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I haven't noticed any particular slowness in page turns with FBreader, only in PDFs.

The pictures you draw in notes are stored as PNG files. You can't attach them to anything on the iLiad itself, but you can embed them in other documents (I've done this in OpenOffice documents).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #20
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Dear Iliad enthusiasts,

I am Renu, one lucky girl. My kid brother bought me Sony PRS-500 a year ago, and my big brother is sending me Iliad in a few days!

I request you to answer a query of mine. My mother-tongue is Tamil and I have a few Tamil books scanned. There are no good Tamil OCRs available. I used PDFLRFWIN utility to format the scanned pdf for Sony. I searched through the net, and I found that there is no such utility that automatically crops and reflows scanned PDFs. (PDFLRFWIN cuts the page into Sony size and attaches the left over with next page, then cuts the next page and so on). I tried with PDFCROPPER, it crops, but does not reflow the document.

I am no programmer, and cannot work with scripts. Can any of you please suggest me a utility similar to PDFLRFWIN for Iliad?

Thank you.
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by renushan View Post
I am no programmer, and cannot work with scripts. Can any of you please suggest me a utility similar to PDFLRFWIN for Iliad?
I assume PDFLRF does not have a PDF output option? If it did, then you could continue to use it for the iLiad. I just saw LRF to PDF,XML and RTF Conversion tool, which might also work PDF (PDFLRF) -> LRF (DUMPLRF) -> PDF.

However, the original PDF (perhaps first run through PDFCROPPER) may work "as is" on the iLiad. The iLiad does not reflow PDFs, but the various versions of IPDF support displaying PDF pages in pieces on the fly. Note this (which is essentially what PDFLRF does as a preprocessing step) is not "reflowing". When reflowing a PDF, the location of text on the page is changed - and this does not work with scans (which are images) unless they are run through OCR first.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to try viewing the PDF on the iLiad in "continuous" mode as-is, to see if it is readable. Zoom in to eliminate margins. If that's not enough, try landscape/continuous mode. I think most texts would be readable this way. The only ones I find difficult are multi-column pages (you want one of the column iPDF solutions for that).
Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Thank you friends for the prompt replies and wonderful suggestions. I will try these on my Iliad and get back to you. It should arrive today or tomorrow, and I am quite excited about that. Yes, wallcraft, pdflrfwin outputs lrf only. Yes again, you are right, what I want is to "re-piece" the pages and not reflow them.
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #24
patnpm
patnpm began at the beginning.

As far as the note attachments go, something I got very excited about was that they are very easily imported into Evernote (www.evernote.com) which will subject them to OCR (for free) and catalogue all your notes in a searchable, online database - an example note here

http://www.evernote.com/pub/patnpm/public

Although I accept that if you aren't already an Evernote user this might be rather a niche use.
patnpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnpm View Post
As far as the note attachments go, something I got very excited about was that they are very easily imported into Evernote (www.evernote.com) which will subject them to OCR (for free) and catalogue all your notes in a searchable, online database - an example note here

http://www.evernote.com/pub/patnpm/public

Although I accept that if you aren't already an Evernote user this might be rather a niche use.
Now that is seriously cool. Which of the phrases you wrote (if any) were successfully indexed by Evernote?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #26
patnpm
patnpm began at the beginning.

The page allows you to search - the search box is in the upper right hand corner and you can see what it recognises.
patnpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
given that using the iLiad as your CF card reader frequently results in the FS of the CF card corrupting, might it be a good idea to remove this as a 'feature' from the list?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnpm View Post
The page allows you to search - the search box is in the upper right hand corner and you can see what it recognises.
I just tried that. Wow. Pretty impressive. I'm going to try uploading some of my notes from my iLiad today, I think.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #29
eyp
eyp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3G 64GB
Why all this software is not stored or linked in Openiliad.com?
eyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #30
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
What are the main differences between the first and second edition of the Iliad? Thanks!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote