Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Things you can do with your iLiad

There are a lot of new users, and people who don't venture into the developers forum much, so I wanted to make a list of things you can do with your iLiad that people may or may not be aware of. This can be a running list that will include functions from the factory, and 3rd party modifications. Feel free to contribute to this thread. Discussions about the functions should take place in the linked threads.
  1. Reading
    1. Formats you can read
    2. Supported by FBReader (Registry Installer)
      1. Increase and decrease font size
      2. Read in Full Screen mode
      3. Have a clock displayed on the screen while reading
      4. Search within a document
      5. Browse table of contents
      6. Organize a Book library
      • RTF
      • CHM
      • OEB
      • OPF
      • FB2
      • TCR
  2. Other Media
  3. Internet Connectivity
  4. Play Games
  5. For Developers and Linux geeks
  6. Security store your passwords and keep them updated with your PC, Mac, or other mobile devices.
  7. Keep a Calender, Contacts, and Todo List on the iLiad.
  8. Edit simple text files and programming source code.
  9. Connect a USB Keyboard to your iLiad
  10. Use as a Compact Flash and MMC/SD card reader for your PC.
  11. Automatically download and upload files to and from your networked Windows computer with the companion software. (On Mac's and Linux PC's with Samba too).
  12. Take screenshots of running programs on the iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
TomK
Enthusiast
TomK began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800SG
Adam, may I ask you a question. I'm anxious to buy an iLiad, but I need to be very comfortable with the process to convert my paperback books to readable iLiad format. If I scan an entire book into PDF 7.0 (I own a Fujitsu ScanSnap), is there anything else I'd have to do to read it on an iLiad? I understand from the document posted by iRex, "How to make content for your iLiad," that it will scale a given image to fit the display, but the minimum font size I'm comfortable reading is 10pt. If I needed to zoom, is there something I can do either when creating the PDF or on the iLiad side to get the text to reflow? Or is there no way, and I'd need to 'set' the font size I'm comfortable with beforehand?
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Adam, may I ask you a question. I'm anxious to buy an iLiad, but I need to be very comfortable with the process to convert my paperback books to readable iLiad format. If I scan an entire book into PDF 7.0 (I own a Fujitsu ScanSnap), is there anything else I'd have to do to read it on an iLiad? I understand from the document posted by iRex, "How to make content for your iLiad," that it will scale a given image to fit the display, but the minimum font size I'm comfortable reading is 10pt. If I needed to zoom, is there something I can do either when creating the PDF or on the iLiad side to get the text to reflow? Or is there no way, and I'd need to 'set' the font size I'm comfortable with beforehand?
I think I can try to answer it, hopefully Adam will forgive me. If you create PDF file by yourself, there is a set of instructions of how to create a special iLiadish PDF file, which will fit screen ideally. Since you are creating pdf by yourself, there is no point in creating standard A4 or letter size pdf.
I think....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Adam, I know you have limited time, but we need those links! I've searched the developers forum and can't find how to do half those things. And some would be very very useful indeed!

Maybe the Iliad Software Wiki needs updating too, as even that doesn't give any clues for many of the above.

Cheers,

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, I posted this and got really busy at work yesterday. Comments can be asked in this thread, but I'd prefer if they were kept on topic.

I've moved the posts about the Mobipocket TOC here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15965

I should have time today to add links to the above.
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Nice post. Good idea. Two suggestions:

1. Indicate what can be done with a stock iLiad vs. what requires a modification.
-----maybe just add [requires 3rd party app] at the end of the feature

2. Regarding third party apps, to break any entry barriers for those that may ot feel comfortable I would recommend a wiki that:
-----a) gave a brief intro and overview of modifying the iLiad
-----b) outlined the steps required to unbrick the iLiad
-----c) listed all CURRENT versions of third party apps with:
----------i) overview of what the mod does
---------ii) iLiad OS version compatibility list
---------iii) date modified
----------iv) link to download
---------v) install instructions
---------vi) link to discussion forum for the app

I think organizing the info above in a one-stop-shopping place will really add to the comfort level of people looking to modify their iLiads. Especially those who may not be comfortable with modifying config files, and searching through random forums and wondering if they found the latest version of an app, and whether it works with the current version of iLIad OS, etc.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Adam,

1) How do I do No. 10 from your list?

2) And No. 11?

and

3) The link you provided for item No. 1, last option (Excel) has no files - how do I instal that?

I can't find anything on either.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by MarkRPenn; 11-18-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added item
Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
For #10, look in iLiad settings and choose to export the CF or other memory card instead of iLiad main memory when connected to a pc via USB.

For #11, I think you might need the "companion" software... has anyone gotten this working in a straightforward way without the "companion" software?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

OK thanks.

Yes that makes sense for No 10, though I was hoping it meant I could browse the complete device over USB.

If you're right re number 11 (could be), it should say your networked Windows PC, not your computer last time I looked, my Mac was a computer, but the companion software is Windows only (and crappie anyway)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRPenn View Post
OK thanks.

Yes that makes sense for No 10, though I was hoping it meant I could browse the complete device over USB.

If you're right re number 11 (could be), it should say your networked Windows PC, not your computer last time I looked, my Mac was a computer, but the companion software is Windows only (and crappie anyway)
You should be able to setup a Samba share on your Mac to transfer files that way.

I'll need to setup an easy installer for Gnumeric (the spreadsheet app).
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #11
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
For #11, I think you might need the "companion" software... has anyone gotten this working in a straightforward way without the "companion" software?
No, you don;t need the companion SW. I have a share set up on my Linux server that the iLiad connects to. Given how tricky it was to set up and debug when I could look through Samba log files to see what was happening, I don't expect it would be easy on a true Windows machine, but it should be possible.

If anyone wants the relevant snippet of my smb.conf, I am happy to post it.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since I'd be trying to set it up on linux or osx, yes, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Since I'd be trying to set it up on linux or osx, yes, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Here you go then ...

Code:
[eBooks]
        comment = Auto sync directory for iLiad
        path = /media/eBooks
        force user = ogg
        force group = ogg
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hide unreadable = Yes
the user and group ogg are the owners of the /media directory, and everything within, but the user ogg is not listed in smbpasswd.
/media/eBooks is mode 775.

I don't think any of the [global] section is pertinent, but if you get stuck I can PM you that section as well.

The samba log file (/var/log/samba/192.168.1.188.log.1 in my case) looks something like this for a good connection that downloads a couple of books:

Code:
[2007/11/01 19:39:48, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(950)
  192.168.2.188 (192.168.2.188) connect to service eBooks initially as user ogg (uid=503, gid=503) (pid 20313)
[2007/11/01 19:40:02, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1150)
  192.168.2.188 (192.168.2.188) closed connection to service eBooks
And for completeness
Code:
$ smbd -V
reports
Code:
"Version 3.0.24-7.fc5"
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I followed this thread to set it up on linux and it just worked first time.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
I followed this thread to set it up on linux and it just worked first time.
Adam, maybe add that link to #11 in your top post? I knew it had been discussed but couldn't remember enough of the right search keywords to find it.