Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
TwinmtnNH
TwinmtnNH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Folder question

My Calibre eBooks files have duplicate author folders. Is the duplicated author's folder needed, and if they are not is there an easy way to get rid of the second folder with the same name.

Author folder, then another exactly same named folder under that, then the file name of the book folder, and next folder is the book title folder, last is a folder with the exact name of the file for the book.

FOLDER TREE IS

John Doe author/
John Doe author/
The name of the story/
The ebook file/

TIA for any help.
TwinmtnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate subforum.

Read this sticky, it has all the answers.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinmtnNH View Post
My Calibre eBooks files have duplicate author folders. Is the duplicated author's folder needed, and if they are not is there an easy way to get rid of the second folder with the same name.

Author folder, then another exactly same named folder under that, then the file name of the book folder, and next folder is the book title folder, last is a folder with the exact name of the file for the book.

FOLDER TREE IS

John Doe author/
John Doe author/
The name of the story/
The ebook file/

TIA for any help.
That is not the (normal) structure of the Calibre LIbrary.
You are trying to Save books TO the Library folders?

Wrong-o

You import books (auto-saves).

Save to Disk is an EXPORT to some OTHER device.
Save to Disk (or Device) are controlled by 'templates' that you control.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
theducks presents the only reasonable conclusion.

When using the Save to Disk or Connect to folder features DO NOT point to any folder in your calibre library tree.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
theducks presents the only reasonable conclusion.

When using the Save to Disk or Connect to folder features DO NOT point to any folder in your calibre library tree.
I wonder if the Devs could put a trap in 'Save to' that would REJECT any path of a KNOWN Calibre Library root and beyond

<ding> "You may not Save within a Calibre controlled Library!"
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder if the Devs could put a trap in 'Save to' that would REJECT any path of a KNOWN Calibre Library root and beyond

<ding> "You may not Save within a Calibre controlled Library!"
That warning has been around for awhile. If I try to "Save to" anywhere into the library tree I get this message:

Quote:
ERROR: Not allowed: You are trying to save files into the calibre library. This can cause corruption of your library. Save to disk is meant to export files from your calibre library elsewhere.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That warning has been around for awhile. If I try to "Save to" anywhere into the library tree I get this message:

Never tried to 'violate the rule' becaus I did not want to make my Library into a pile of unusable bits

So the OP ignored this message?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I may be off base here but everyone seems to be "assuming" that he has saved into his Calibre folder structure. All he says in his original post is "My Calibre ebooks files", which could well mean the files either on his device or as a result of a save to disk operation elsewhere. I think they may have a problem with their save to disk template with a duplication of {author_sort}\{author_sort}\ or similar...

Just my 2p...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I may be off base here but everyone seems to be "assuming" that he has saved into his Calibre folder structure.
Since there is now a warning message I guess this is unlikely.

Quote:
All he says in his original post is "My Calibre ebooks files", which could well mean the files either on his device or as a result of a save to disk operation elsewhere.
It does seem to need clarification, doesn't it?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I may be off base here but everyone seems to be "assuming" that he has saved into his Calibre folder structure.
Which seems unlikely, given the warning message. I agree with you. It's more likely a problem with the save to disk template.

We'll need clarification to help.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Never tried to 'violate the rule' becaus I did not want to make my Library into a pile of unusable bits
I keep a tiny test library that I can mangle. It's launched by batch file and resets itself after I exit.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Remember that there are a fair number of people running old versions of calibre. I am ... I just haven't gotten around to upgrading for the past couple of months. (I know, some "experienced user" I am, right?)

I seriously think if "save to disk" was renamed "export" it would avoid a lot of these problems. "Save" sounds, especially to an inexperienced user, like something you want to do to keep your files, like you'd save a document in your word processor. "Export" sounds like sending it somewhere else, which is what "save to disk" does. It wouldn't matter to people who know how things work -- Kovid could call it "floogle" for all we care -- but it would avoid a lot of questions from people who don't.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I seriously think if "save to disk" was renamed "export" it would avoid a lot of these problems.
This was considered/discussed a while back when "Add" was being considered as "Import." IIRC, the final decision was to keep "Save" in the pulldown menu, although the Import/Export terminology was used more widely in the Preferences and some tooltips and warning messages.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
TwinmtnNH
TwinmtnNH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you everyone for your help. The files are some I downloaded but because I am very new to calibre I wondered about the double author's folders.

Last edited by TwinmtnNH; 04-01-2011 at 02:36 AM.
TwinmtnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinmtnNH View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. The files are some I downloaded but because I am very new to calibre I wondered.
People here would like to know how you got the screwed up file structure you are asking about. Do you know? It's not a normal Calibre library structure, and it would be hard to get that structure in the library. Were you asking about your library, or something else?