Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Xoom 3g Release in UK - Good news / Bad news

One of those good news/bad news things;

I've pre-ordered a Xoom wifi+3g and the release date I was given was 'early April' (no more precise than that). Yesterday, surfing the net, I came across the press statement below from Motorola;

"Not keen to waste the finest weather we’ve had in ages waiting in queue? Idea of surviving overnight on mundane take-away with some frankly questionable queue buddies leave you cold?

Fear not friends, ditch the winter coat, head out for a pint and pre-order your Motorola XOOM online instead!

Some of the features on XOOM we’re particularly proud of?

First to market with Google’s Android tablet specific software – Honeycomb 3.0
A super-fast dual-core 1 GHz processor which is twice as speedy as any tablet currently on the market
Adobe Flash Player 10.1 providing unrestricted access to Flash sites, videos and games
Access to most of the whopping 150,000 apps available through the Android Marketplace, with more tablet specific apps being added everyday
HD display – rendering movies in 16:9 format
Tabbed browsing, bookmark sync, and more for a desktop-like web experience
5MP rear-facing camera with dual LED flash that captures video in HD
1GB of DDR2 RAM memory

Head to Carphone Warehouse, PC World or Currys now for the civilized way to get your hands on 2011 hottest tablet (From £499.99 for 32GB model). It will be in your hot little hands sooner than you think…"

Look at the last sentence in particular. Good news! It'll be here early, I thought!

Now the bad news. Later that same day, I received an e-mail from the Carphone Warehouse (the only shop that's selling the 3g version on launch, and where I'd preordered from);

"We're writing to let you know that unfortunately your Motorola Xoom pre-order has been slightly delayed.

This is due to a delay in the official launch for Motorola Xoom 3g"

Turns out that it will now be with me on 19th April.

So, on the same day, Motorola implied it was pretty much imminently here in a press release, and then, if the mail from Carphone Warehouse is to be believed, delayed the official release date by a week or more!

Disappointed!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would appear that nobody is interested, but, because I need to get it off my chest, the plot thickens.

Today, I spotted a couple of news articles stating that the Xoom is 'definitely' being released in the UK next week (i.e. by the 9th at the latest); such as this one.

No word about my pre-order from The Carphone Warehouse yet. WTF is going on?
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
AH, sorry missed this til now.

Here's hoping it will be sooner rather than later! I'm loving mine more every day as I do more things on it.

Last edited by kennyc; 04-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Another vent about this.

Just received an e-mail; I reproduce it below in its entirety:

Dear MR Sxxxx xxxxxxxx,

Your order has been cancelled and any charges made will be refunded. Thank you for shopping with the Carphone Warehouse.

Your order details have been confirmed as:

Order Date: 14/03/2011
Order Number: 2xxxxxxxxx

Regards,
The Carphone Warehouse team

No explanation, no apology, no nothing. I will call Customer Services tomorrow
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Another vent about this.

Just received an e-mail; I reproduce it below in its entirety:

Dear MR Sxxxx xxxxxxxx,

Your order has been cancelled and any charges made will be refunded. Thank you for shopping with the Carphone Warehouse.

Your order details have been confirmed as:

Order Date: 14/03/2011
Order Number: 2xxxxxxxxx

Regards,
The Carphone Warehouse team

No explanation, no apology, no nothing. I will call Customer Services tomorrow

that's bizarre,
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
that's bizarre,
Indeed!

Hopefully I'll find out why tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to hear it. Please let us know what they say.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

OK - called them and it's actually good news!

Basically, the price has been reduced prior to launch (by £20). In order to pass on this saving to those of us who pre-ordered, they have cancelled the original order and re-ordered at the new price. Unfortunately, cancelling the original order triggered an auto-mail prior to any other contact about the change.

So, all good, and still looking forward to getting my Xoom mid-April!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
kennyc

Wonderful!

Quote:

Basically, the price has been reduced prior to launch (by £20). In order to pass on this saving to those of us who pre-ordered, they have cancelled the original order and re-ordered at the new price. Unfortunately, cancelling the original order triggered an auto-mail prior to any other contact about the change.

So, all good, and still looking forward to getting my Xoom mid-April!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:

Basically, the price has been reduced prior to launch (by £20).
£20 isn't a bad deal if you ask me!
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSno View Post
£20 isn't a bad deal if you ask me!

If only!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
congrats glad to hear it turned out for the better, though a little heads up would have been nice from them. LOL but you had made the list of people I am jealous of.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
congrats glad to hear it turned out for the better, though a little heads up would have been nice from them. LOL but you had made the list of people I am jealous of.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
kennyc

Just saw this: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...ce-cuts-941203
Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks Kenny.

That's the discount I got, yes.