Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
chrisv5
chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad
2.9.5 killed my WLAN

This is what happened and this is also verbatim what I emailed to tech support:

Quote:
after the first step of the firmware upgrade to 2.9.5 my wireless connection profile on the iLiad ceased to work. I finished the upgrade with a wired connection

I am using a Zyxel G-1000 access point with WEP "open access" and 128 bit key. The DHCP server does not run on the AP but on the Internet router (which is separate).

I used another access point (temporary at work) and that one works without WEP, with 64-bit and 128-bit. However, I do not know if the AP uses "open access" or "shared key" as this is not configurable on that access point.

I had changed the WEP profile on my AP at home to "open access" (when using 2.8) after I read in a forum that this is the only mode which works with the iLiad (and I could confirm that on my own iLiad). See the sticky message in the connection forum: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=183

So, what has changed that it breaks the WLAN connection to my access point at home?
This is what they wrote back:

Quote:
For detailed information about creating a wireless network profile please see the pages 65 to 73 in the iLiad user manual. If you do not have the manual, you can download it at http://www.irextechnologies.com/downloads/docs.
I refrain from commenting, the words on the tips of my fingers might be get me into troubles.
chrisv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, my. They don't seem to have read your message at all, do they? I wonder if they use some sort of app to scan incoming e-emails and categorize them under keywords, and then answer based on those keywords rather than "wasting" their time actually reading the messages.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
chrisv5
chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Oh, my. They don't seem to have read your message at all, do they? I wonder if they use some sort of app to scan incoming e-emails and categorize them under keywords, and then answer based on those keywords rather than "wasting" their time actually reading the messages.
If that were the case, I would actually be less offended. As it is, they also copied the text from the link which I had given to the reply. That was the "other part" of their email message. I am not quite sure what that was supposed to accomplish? Do they assume I mentioned the link for some reason, but was actually unable to read the page myself? (my intention was to show them that I was aware of that information; which is missing in their manual, by the way) Anyway, that seems to be proof that a human being was involved.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

After reading some posts concerning upgrading,

- I made a backup per USB
- noted my MAC address (just to be on the safe side, label on back)
- removed all cards
- charged and did not pull the plug when finished

and then connected to IDS.

For me the upgrade stopped after step 6 as well.

WLAN connection could not be established.

As I had that experience from earlier upgrades, i just removed my
WLAN settings (WEP), created a new profile with identical settings
(using the "old" keyboard, input reader method is next for download)
and finished the upgrade without further hickups.

And - overall - faster than expected.

YMMV,

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
chrisv5

Update for all who are interested: WLAN between my iLiad and the AP at home works again. I did not change anything at either side. All I can assume is this: connecting to an unsecured WLAN at work might have reset something? Or being powered off during the night? I know, it sounds unlikely but I have no other explanation.

I tried four hours last night. The AP was okay, cause I could use my notebook. I did not change anything at the AP. I am using the same profile on the iLiad which refused to work last night (I did all my attemps to fix it on freshly created profiles, other than re-entering the WEP key in the original profile).
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Weird. But I'm glad it unkinked itself for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
@chrisv
When you rebooted each time how long did you wait with the iLiad power off? I've had several devices (my linux-based router is one) where it is necessary to wait 10-20 seconds without power to force a full reset if a software reset does not work. I've no idea if this is true of the iLiad but maybe someone else does.

Anyhow, really glad for you it works again.
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
chrisv5

Being a hardware techie by education, I am fully aware of all the intricacies of stubborn electronics. It is a decades old habit of mine, to "take a deep breath" between power down / power up cycles, esp. when having problems.

Just one example: In the dark old ages of hard disks, which I had the joy to repair, one made very sure to let the disk spin down before starting it up again. Otherwise it was time to replace one or more of the platters and clean heads (yes, THOSE dark old ages). One tried to avoid that, as it was not only a costly thing, but also annoying to recalibrate the critter (if one had to replace a head, too)

In case you are curious, one surface of a platter was holding 5MB and the the disk had a 12 inch diameter. Now you know that I am quite a dinosaur.

But thank you for your suggestions. And I am glad, too. Just wish I could get rid of the really bad ghosting since 2.9.1 It is esp. annoying with some of the fine print A4 sized docs (e.g. the TortoiseSVN manual). I was able to read them before (I have good glasses) but now with that extra ghosting it is getting really tricky. And no, I am not a fan at all of the landscape/continuous read mode (which is pretty useless without a scrollbar).
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Didn't exactly mean it as a suggestion, more to know what I should do next time I have a possibly similar iLiad problem.
If you're a dinosaur what does that make me? Dimetrodon?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #10
chrisv5

Well, as for "next time tactics"... someone else suggested using the reset button on the back. Now, I do not know how much of a hard reset that button will do (it has been said it just does a hard power down, nothing else). But still worth a try at a low cost :-)

I strongly think now that powering off for an EXTENDED time (e.g. overnight) might help, with all that low current circuitry and capacitors involved.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
Tokkeh
Reader

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. After an unsuccessful restart or two I did do two hard resets (press button on back, reboot) before my connection worked again. I nearly gave up but Irex instructions said several restarts might be needed (why?). They didn't mention manual resets though.
What I worry about: my very new iLiad with only the shell hack installed (unused so far as preferred to wait for 2.9.5), no memory cards, no changes to software, 2.9.1, backed up in advance, battery full, connected to mains, no new profiles, direct cable to router and I still had problems with reconnect. What about iLiad owners with no previous experience of balky hardware/software?