Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Amazon removes books from Kindle?

Have you guys seen this posting by David Pogue?

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...l-than-others/
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Wow!

THIS is something entirely new, and kind of disturbing. The publisher changed their mind?!! If this is precedent-setting, I'd never buy another Kindle, just on principle. And, frankly, I hope some hungry attorney's secretary bought the titles, so we can see a class action on this.

And of course, the irony of it:

"... You want to know the best part? The juicy, plump, dripping irony?

The author who was the victim of this Big Brotherish plot was none other than George Orwell. And the books were “1984” and “Animal Farm.”"

Last edited by Sonist; 07-17-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Wow!

THIS is something entirely new, and kind of disturbing. The publisher changed their mind?!! If this is precedent-setting, I'd never buy another Kindle, just on principle. And, frankly, I hope some hungry attorney's secretary bought the titles, so we can see a class action on this.
It is quite disturbing. Does this mean that any time a publisher can decide to rescind an offering retroactively and *POOF* all instances of it disappear from the devices of legitimate purchasers?

Is it something more to this story or is it really as bad as it looks at this moment?
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
It is quite disturbing. Does this mean that any time a publisher can decide to rescind an offering retroactively and *POOF* all instances of it disappear from the devices of legitimate purchasers?

Is it something more to this story or is it really as bad as it looks at this moment?
According to a customer:

Quote:
Here's the response from Amazon CS:

The Kindle edition books Animal Farm by George Orwell. Published by MobileReference (mobi) & Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) by George Orwell. Published by MobileReference (mobi) were removed from the Kindle store and are no longer available for purchase. When this occured, your purchases were automatically refunded. You can still locate the books in the Kindle store, but each has a status of not yet available. Although a rarity, publishers can decide to pull their content from the Kindle store.
- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Was it the publisher that pulled them or were they "illicit" copies?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't see how MobileReference could have permission from the copyright holders to publish Animal Farm, particularly since they were selling this for $0.99. See You really DON’T own your Amazon ebooks.

I have ebooks that I bought in the Kindle Store but are no longer available for sale on my Kindle, and Amazon has not removed them. It is a bit different when the ebooks are bootlegged though, Amazon probably wants to be squeaky clean on copyrights.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon probably wants to be squeaky clean on copyrights.
Maybe they shouldn't sell materials illegally then...

- Ahi
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
I doubt the books were physically removed if they were on the Kindle. The order for the book and the ability to download it were probably canceled.

People *love* to get hysterical!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
I doubt the books were physically removed if they were on the Kindle. The order for the book and the ability to download it were probably canceled.

Why do you feel the unilateral reneging of Amazon.com on purchases made months ago is nothing to get upset about?

Belittling the significance of real issues can sometimes be just as satisfying as getting hysterical about them. The happy medium is much to be preferred though.

- Ahi
Old 07-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Was it the publisher that pulled them or were they "illicit" copies?
Dunno about this.

The only currently available Kindle copy of 1984 is this one, and it has the following disclaimer:

"This work is in the public domain in Canada, Australia, and other countries. It may still be copyrighted in some countries. The user should determine whether the work is in the public domain in their own country before using it."

Me thinks it's just weird, and this really needs to be clarified soon, presumably by a court somewhere. No different than remotely removing a copy from your PC without permission, IMO (regardless of what Amazon or the publisher may have included on p.724 of their EUA.)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
These books were created and sold illegally...

Amazon was just the conduit. Someone out there stole these works, repackaged them and offered them for sale over Amazon's site.

This is a very old scenario.

Someone steals something and they sell it to a second individual who then resells it. (Think pawn shop.)

No real title passed so the purchaser was not entitled to keep the item. If the police were involved here and the goods could be recovered, then they would be returned to the rightful owner. The purchaser would get no compensation from the thief.

In this case Amazon was simply being generous by refunding the purchaser's money.

As I said.... don't get hysterical. This sort of thing happens every day everywhere on the planet.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Virtual book burning isn't as satisfying as the real thing. You can't roast marshmallow's.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:

Well - I'm not hysterical - any my copy of the Collected Works of George Orwell is no longer on my Kindle. And I received an email today announcing the refund of my purchase price.
So yes - Amazon is pulling copies off Kindles - as they did earlier for the Ayn Rand bootlegs.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
...The purchaser would get no compensation from the thief.

In this case Amazon was simply being generous by refunding the purchaser's money.

As I said.... don't get hysterical....
So, you say that the purchaser is not entitled to compensation, in which case Amazon (the seller) gets to keep their cut of the "fraudulent" sale?! But for Amazon's generosity....

You're just kidding, right?

P.S. I just checked, and it appears that Rosenblum Productions claims the copyright to 1984, at least until 2044 (which is kind of outrageous in itself, IMO). Which makes me wonder, what is the 1984 version I referenced above, doing on Amazon, with that disclaimer?

Last edited by Sonist; 07-17-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Actually, the books DID get removed from their Kindles.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote