Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Make Android host DR800/DR1000 readers via USB?

Hi all. Long time no-read... ; (

I finally gave in to social pressure and got me a giant (5") Android phone, so I decided to check and see if I can take the most out of carrying it around with my iRexes. The phone will happily act as an USB host if you plug in any card reader or the like, so the most obvious thing that came to mind is hooking the iRex to the phone to download stuff into the reader with the phone while on the go. Just like I could take the card out of the iRex, stick it into some USB reader, plug it in the phone microUSB port, and all the way back afterwards, but with a little cable instead of a whole lot of hassle.

Given how the iRexes seem to act as regular USB MSDs when plugged to a Windows PC host, and that my Android phone includes some sort of USB 'debugging mode' on board, I wondered how hard it would be to program some Android applet to make the phone look like a PC from outside the port so as to make the iRexes switch to MSD mode when plugged.

Having no real idea of the feasibility of this 'simple' scheme, I thought I'd ask first those more knowledgeable than me.

Any comments?
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote