Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #1366
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Kirith, thank you! This actually worked. Seems like my memory was messed up somehow. I'll now try to install Booxtor's latest firmware again. If that doesn't work I'll return to the default firmware from OnyxBoox Europe.

PS: Yup, Booxtor's firmware still doesn't work. The weird thing is that it didn't even try to extract the files this time; it booted right away. The first time around it actually started unzipping Booxtor's 1.8 firmware onto my device and then froze. That's when all the problems began.

So my M92 is incompatible, even though it's not the "black pearl"? Weird. Anyway, at least the default update from OB Europe seems to work.

PPS: What does "black pearl" mean anyway? Black case and pearl display? I have a white case M92 (late 2011 model) with pearl display, but isn't a pearl display the standard for the M92 anyway? And why are there different hardware versions of the same device depending on the retail store? This is all very confusing.

Last edited by Schmitti; 04-15-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: PS
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #1367
BNoir
BNoir began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 (Black Pearl edition)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
The Black Pearl use a password for the update (ZIP file), like the M92 - http://ereader-store.eu. Some files in the password are protected by this password. So, I don't think that you can merge the firmwares because you doesn't know the Arta's password nor the standard password.

And if you change the firmware you can loose the warranty.
Thanks,
Actually, I would'nt mind that much about loosing the warranty as long as I can use the device in anyway I want. I had some hope about device flexibility ... I guess that also means that if one day Android becomes available that won't work on the Black Pearl edition ?
BNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #1368
BNoir

Black Pearl means that there is an M92 version sold by a company named Arta Tech that uses another firmware flavor which is unfortunately incompatible with the others. This indeed causes a lot of confusion for users who try to update their system.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #1369
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNoir View Post
Black Pearl means that there is an M92 version sold by a company named Arta Tech that uses another firmware flavor which is unfortunately incompatible with the others. This indeed causes a lot of confusion for users who try to update their system.
What is the technical reason for an arta tech black pearl device being unable to load Booxstor firmware?
Is it just that the device 'knows' the zip password of the firmware?
Also, what is 'part' of firmware and what is just an application ?
Standalone applications like OTFM file manager, for example, works fine on my arta tech 'black pearl'.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #1370
BNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What is the technical reason for an arta tech black pearl device being unable to load Booxstor firmware?
Is it just that the device 'knows' the zip password of the firmware?
Also, what is 'part' of firmware and what is just an application ?
Standalone applications like OTFM file manager, for example, works fine on my arta tech 'black pearl'.
see link below,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190029

Basically you can mess with some parts but not others that are protected.
I like the Arta Tech product version, although it has some slight tilts toward the Polish market (the first link in the main menu points to a polish bookstore, I would prefer it to be easily configurable), it has apparently some nice features that are not available in other releases (cloud ...). But I don't use most of them . I would prefer to be able to pick the best of the two worlds.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #1371
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
That's what I mean with "weird". Granted, I bought my M92 from Onyx Boox Europe (in the Netherlands), but it's the early model, not the black pearl version. Booxtor's firmware still doesn't work on my device. So whether it's black pearl or not doesn't seem to matter… it all seems to be about license/territory/retailer restrictions. And I have to admit, this is really annoying, because I bought the M92 precisely because I wanted to be able to tweak it. OB Europe in Venlo never informed its customers that this is not possible with their M92 models (black pearl or standard versions).

Last edited by Schmitti; 04-16-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #1372
BNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
That's what I mean with "weird". Granted, I bought my M92 from Onyx Boox Europe (in the Netherlands), but it's the early model, not the black pearl version. Booxtor's firmware still doesn't work on my device. So whether it's black pearl or not doesn't seem to matter… it all seems to be about license/territory/retailer restrictions. And I have to admit, this is really annoying, because I bought the M92 precisely because I wanted to be able to tweak it. OB Europe in Venlo never informed its customers that this is not possible with their M92 models (black pearl or standard versions).
Weird, indeed. The hardware is supposed to be the same (I think). So here unless you contact the store directly for more info it's not possible to rule out anything. Like you I don't appreciate the fact that they force and lock a firmware. BTW to me Onyx Boox Europe is https://www.onyx-boox.com is the one selling the Black Pearl version of firmware

Last edited by BNoir; 04-16-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #1373
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure for 100%, but I think that all ArtaTech M92 readers have proprietary firmware.

The reason for closed solution is to my understanding mainly protection of copyright for TTS. Second reason might be the competition with other distribution channels. But that is my wild guess.

The reason why I thing, it might be like that is that all effort of Booxstor and possibly also of Russian channel go to all firmwares. But ArtaTech's improvements like cloud, do not go to other firmwares.

So, my understanding, but I might be wrong, is that ArtaTech receives contribution from others, but does not give anything in return.

For example, I translated M92 interface to my language and Booxstor offered me some small gift in return. But my translation was also in ArtaTech devices, I guess.

All M92s are the same hardwareside (there might be hardware revisions, so that there might be slight differences, but not important for users), except for part of devices sold on Russian market.

Should not be problem to install Booxstor's firmware on ArtaTech devices. But one must know the password for Booxstor's and ArtaTech's firmware.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #1374
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Hi,
if you want I can help you to overwrite your current software with ours. I could provide you some tools for it. Just send me a PM
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #1375
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@Booxtor, you don't actually need any tools to install ArtaTech FW on Boox from other distribution and vice versa. Only difference is in password, which encrypts update. So obviously one needs to repack update using appropriate password. Funnily, Onyx-Intl used to host these on GitHub.

I would be glad if you could share tools, which are used to flash M92 whilst in downloader mode (e.g mfgTool, sb_loader)...

Last edited by seaniko7; 04-19-2013 at 03:34 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #1376
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
if you want I can help you to overwrite your current software with ours. I could provide you some tools for it. Just send me a PM
To understand if i got the point and i'm speaking theoretically :-D
The procedure of updating a firmware implies the device itself to unzip a protected zip files containing basically the linux operating system + all the readers and programs.
The password of the zip files differs so it's stored in the device in a form of bios.
Booxstor, the tools you are saying now are supposed to flash this password area on what i called bios, right?

If i take one of your firmware and copy all the content inside the other_vendor zip file (without knowing their password), will i produce a 100% identical 'distribution' of your software for the "other vendor" device?

This will move the 'unbranding' issue to just a distribution issue.
We can selfdo it and still have a device that can revert to a vendor firmware
(for example during warranty time).
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #1377
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Upgrade procedure is following:
- User holds button whilst booting reader
- Bootloader (probably) checks if button is pressed
- Second kernel is unpacked and init process of initramfs executes update script
- Update script has embedded password (ArtaTech / Different Vendor) which is used for unpacking
- If password matches, update proceeds, otherwise Boox restarts

Updates are essentially whole rootfs plus kernel, which is flashed upon update as well.

So basically, yes; copying of firmware from other device would be sufficient, but here's the trick: you cannot do this on running system. To do that you will either need to flash memory using 'raw' access (using flasher in download mode) or use 'faked' updater ( with changed password ).

If you're interested, search for "Mixed FW" for M92, which combines Booxtor FW with ArtaTech FW. Note that I used ArtaTech encryption for Mixed FW due to legal implications, thus it works only for ArtaTech devices.

I guess, Booxtor could get in touch with ArtaTech guys and ask if they are ok with extracting their changes (obviously w/o IVONA TTS, which requires commercial licence). If yes, then I can handle combining Mixed FW for different vendors.

Last edited by seaniko7; 04-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #1378
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New updates are available. First post has been updated.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #1379
Mhaly
Mhaly began at the beginning.

Device: i62 HD Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
New updates are available. First post has been updated.
Thanks mate.

The i62HD (w/o light) link seems to be wrong, it's just the changelog.

Greetings.
Mhaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #1380
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaly View Post
Thanks mate.

The i62HD (w/o light) link seems to be wrong, it's just the changelog.

Greetings.
Oh, thanks!
a little bit messed up in the hurry....
If you already start download Please check correct links now:

for M92 it is "mega.co.nz/#!yQ....."
for i62HD "mega.co.nz/#!OZ..."
for i62HD ML (Firefly) "mega.co.nz/#!HF...."