Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Jelly Bean on Kindle Fire?

I was wondering if anyone had tried updating their Fire to Android 4.1.1? It's supposedly much smoother than the stock ROM, and I have to admit Nexus 7 envy has me considering converting my Fire to Jelly Bean, especially since I don't expect I'll ever use Amazon's video service on it.

It even has support for YouTube and Netflix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIjS9yhAvg

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRv_JWlyv8
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Here you go: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2144749
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The only thing you have to remember is that it's still work in progress. Compared to ICS though, it's a lot better battery wise. I can't really give you an estimate because I fell asleep the first night trying to run the battery down by just using it (it was like 4AM though and I fell asleep at like 7), but the standby is pretty good too.

It won't tell you if it's charging either, but that's because we don't have the updates for the firmware that would let us see that. The light works though, and will change to green when it's fully charged.

But it is so worth the saving of $200. Some of the XDA people are kinda iffy about their pre-orders now because it works so well.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, thanks so much for the first-hand experience, that's what I was hoping for. And yes, I assume that it's still got some rough edges, that's to be expected. But it really seems to work pretty well from what I've read.

Do you use Hashcode's version or the Tablet UI version?

My special pet peeve with the Fire is the way it tends to lock up when using Netflix. I'm guessing that's a Netflix problem rather than a Fire problem, but I'm hoping it runs more smoothly under jelly bean.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Oh, thanks so much for the first-hand experience, that's what I was hoping for. And yes, I assume that it's still got some rough edges, that's to be expected. But it really seems to work pretty well from what I've read.

Do you use Hashcode's version or the Tablet UI version?

My special pet peeve with the Fire is the way it tends to lock up when using Netflix. I'm guessing that's a Netflix problem rather than a Fire problem, but I'm hoping it runs more smoothly under jelly bean.
I use Hashcode's. It feels more like the Nexus 7 and you really start to appreciate the phone UI after using it for awhile.

The stock ROM has issues that the unofficial ones don't have. That's because everything from the audio to the touchscreen drivers were rewritten. Amazon didn't implement them very well. A lot of the OEMs like Samsung and LG don't implement them correctly either. That's why we're up to 2.5 million installs of CyanogenMod on Android devices now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've been waiting on a good JB rom before jumping in the waters. Ics on my Fire has worked quite well for me as it is. But, I must admit that I'm getting antsy.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I've been waiting on a good JB rom before jumping in the waters. Ics on my Fire has worked quite well for me as it is. But, I must admit that I'm getting antsy.
If you believe that ICS has worked quite well for you then there is no reason to wait on JB. The current ROMs (particularly HashCode's) are about as good as ICS is.

For me, I'm sitting pat with an ICS-themed CM7 ROM. It works absolutely flawlessly. I'll only consider moving up if there is an ICS/JB ROM that is equal to it in optimization, stability, and functionality.

(but then again, I have one of those Polaroid 7" ICS tablets for those times when I want to true ICS experience... terrific tablet for $90!)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
carld
Wizard

I took my first step toward installing a new rom. I rooted my Fire and installed the Google store and apps. I wanted to unroot afterwards, but I can't seem to get OTA Rootkeeper to do anything.

According to this video I should be able to back up and unroot my Fire, but I don't have those options, only "Protect Root." I note that I don't have the 2nd and 4th options "Root Permission Granted" and "Protected: su copy available" checked on my device. I don't know if the guide I followed missed a step, or maybe I did, but I do have Google Play and Apps installed.

Edit: After a quick google it looks like KFU didn't install superuser. I got it from the google play store and it allows me to temporarily unroot the Fire, and OTA Rootkeeper show the 2nd box checked now, but it still doesn't give me the option to backup anything. It's not a huge deal. I still don't plan on watching anything on Amazon's Video on my Fire.

However, it's really nice to have YouTube sign into my account and connect with all my subscriptions. Also being able to use the same Gmail app on my phone and my Fire is nice. I'm still trying to decide which Rom I'll use, and if I really want to do that.

Last edited by carld; 07-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Dewdd
Dewdd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah it shouldn't be too hard
Dewdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I love the JB on my fire. it's much smoother :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm notice the charging is a bit wonky o.O
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
hmm notice the charging is a bit wonky o.O
That is one of the few well documented wrinkles that plague the ICS and JB ROMs. And one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to those ROMs yet.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard

well, hopefully it gets sorted out soon. i still like it, though trying to get used to using the tablet as a productivity device
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Charging is working, it is just the LED which is not proberly indicating the charging status. At least on my Fire with 4.1.1 tablet edition.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I took my first step toward installing a new rom. I rooted my Fire and installed the Google store and apps. I wanted to unroot afterwards, but I can't seem to get OTA Rootkeeper to do anything.

According to this video I should be able to back up and unroot my Fire, but I don't have those options, only "Protect Root." I note that I don't have the 2nd and 4th options "Root Permission Granted" and "Protected: su copy available" checked on my device. I don't know if the guide I followed missed a step, or maybe I did, but I do have Google Play and Apps installed.

Edit: After a quick google it looks like KFU didn't install superuser. I got it from the google play store and it allows me to temporarily unroot the Fire, and OTA Rootkeeper show the 2nd box checked now, but it still doesn't give me the option to backup anything. It's not a huge deal. I still don't plan on watching anything on Amazon's Video on my Fire.

However, it's really nice to have YouTube sign into my account and connect with all my subscriptions. Also being able to use the same Gmail app on my phone and my Fire is nice. I'm still trying to decide which Rom I'll use, and if I really want to do that.
I use OTA Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot, and I can still watch Amazon video and freely change my wallpapers and have them stick!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote