Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you recommend a Kindle to a Friend?
Yes. I would recommend a Kindle to a friend. 178 89.45%
No. I would never recommend anyone buy a Kindle. 7 3.52%
On the fence. Not sure if I would recommend a Kindle or not. 14 7.04%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #31
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I have two Sony's and one Kindle 3 (wifi). I've been playing with the Kindle for a couple of weeks now, and would have to say I still recommend the Sony's over it. Nice screen, but I find holding it and not hitting the buttons a problem, and I'm not real hot over the way it's set up or the speed and problem with the battery life based on an indexing problem I'm dealing with.

So I'd still have to recommend the Sony's first and foremost at this point.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
I voted No. Although I personally prefer Kindle, my friends are unlikely to use Amazon as the main source for books. Kindle is inconvenient to use for sideloading by those who are less technically inclined.
Interesting. As far as I can tell, as long as the book is in a Kindle-compatible format, it seems as easy as any reader I've owned to sideload. ("Devices I've owned" include, in addition to the ones listed after 'Device' under my avatar, the 1st generation Nook.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #33
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I voted Yes.

I would recommend a Kindle to a friend (and have on a few occasions). But, I wouldn't push it like it's the only option, just one of the best options for me at the moment.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I voted Yes.

I would recommend a Kindle to a friend (and have on a few occasions). But, I wouldn't push it like it's the only option, just one of the best options for me at the moment.
Good point. Kindle is what works best for me, and I recommend it strongly, but if someone else's needs are different—for example, if library lending is important for them—there are better choices for that person.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #35
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yes I would without a doubt.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
Hyde
Mistress of Distruction
Hyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon should be paying me because of all the people I have talked into getting a Kindle. I am actually in the hospital at this moment and convinced my nurse to get the Audible/Kindle deal earlier this evening.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #37
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I love my kindle. I have not only talked a number of people into getting one but I have also bought three myself - one for me and one each for two of my children. Another son bought his own and then went on to buy one for his wife. My only kindle-less son jokes that, yes, he read a book once. Kindles are not for him. My kindle comes with me to work every day.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #38
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My friends Major put off about Kindles .... No Library Lending!! So I hoping they change their minds when OD gets this Up & running!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've had one since Mid-March and I would definitely recommend one to a friend.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
DirCat
Enthusiast
DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I had to put my vote as "On the fence"

It depends on the person I'm talking to. For example, my ex-wife reads one new book a year or so, then donates it to the library. The rest of what she reads are books she gets from the library. It wouldn't be worth it financially for her.

Personally, until I got one I never really thought much about them. Now that I have one, I don't see how I lived without it. I don't have to search through boxes of books to find one I want to read. I don't have to worry about my ex's pets destroying my books. If I own all of the books in a series, I don't have to look for one of them to read it. It's great!

I do admit that I was planning on getting a Nook for a long time. However, I got so many free books/short stories from Amazon that I just went with them instead.
DirCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #41
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
We have a huge, downloadable collection of religious and spiritual literature in most languages of India; these can be converted to kindle readable format for use as reference or for leisurely deep study. Kindle is ideal for this. I successfully recommended kindle3 to many friends and acquaintances for reading native literature.
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have at least 8 family members and friends who have bought a Kindle. Several of them have convinced friends to buy Kindles. So yup.

I have recommended other devices to folks who want to use the library.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I'm talking my FIL into one. He has a friend with a nook, but likes the idea of the Amazon bookstore. Not sure if he really needs a reader, but I think he would like one if he got it. I need to look up the books he reads and see if they come in ebooks, before he pulls the trigger.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I'm talking my FIL into one....
The first thing that caught my eye while reading your post was the penguin. For a moment I thought Jon had been drinking!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #45
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
yes. I have and two people have purchased one based on my testamonial. :-)
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote