Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Too much research has me confused!

I've been looking at the new e-ink ebook readers for a while as well as the jetbook reader. I want something I can read in sunlight. Portability would be nice--small in size and weight.

I have tons of books in lit and html format. The html are non-drm. The lit files are mixed--although I just realized it might be possible to remove the drm. So if the new machine could read either lit or html without conversion in a decent format, that would be great. I organize these file and all the imp files from my legacy devices in the Calibre software on the mac.

(I work on a mac machine, although I also have access to a pc.)

The feature that is MOST important to me and hardest to figure out from photos is that it must be usable with just the left hand--either by rotating the screen or having the page turn buttons on the left. (I have a really hard time using my right hand at all.)

I like the ease of use Kindle offers--but I have all these wonderful files already and don't want to email them all to convert.

The cool-er ebook readers look pretty and light but offer no html support.

The jetbook is about the right size and has good file structure support, but the side bar buttons look complicated and again, no html support. Plus I'm not sure about paying that much for a tft screen.

Please help me sort this out. Today I'm thinking Astak EZ reader or Bebook because they support both html and lit. But how good is that support? Can the Astak EZ reader be held and page flipped left-handed? Would it be better to just convert my files and get something else?

So confused...The more readers I look at the more confused I am. I guess I just want them all!

Thanks for any advice on this.

Sherry King
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are already using Calibre, then converting your ebooks to whatever format is best will be really easy. For the DRMed LIT ebooks, you need a keys file from a Windows PC but it should then be possible to "downconvert" them to DRM-free. Leave them as LIT, and let Calibre convert them for you.

I think it is possible to use the EZ Reader with your left hand only. It has page turn keys on the left and I normally use it left handed. You will need to use the number keys on the bottom for menu navigation though, and I use my right hand for this. It might be worth waiting for the BeBook Mini, or the EZ Reader "Pocket PRO", with a similar key layout but smaller overall and with a 5" screen. There are other nice looking 5" devices in the pipeline, see PocketBook 360° final design and New Device: Bookeen Opus. How they will work in practice is as yet unknown,

I am less sure about using Kindle with the left hand only, because the K1 has a right-side scroll wheel and the K2 has a right-side 5-way pointer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you might want to wait, but the jetbook can be had for 170 new I think currently, and many people love it.

a Used 505 is also a good choice

the jetbook and the 505 can both be used as a lefty

the kindles are a little larger than the 505, and huge compared to the jetbook
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I like jetBook screen and its pocket size. I can recommend jetBook in case if you can convert your HTML or lit files to ePub, PRC or RTF formats.
You can read many reviews about jetBook on this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47377
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
Please help me sort this out. Today I'm thinking Astak EZ reader or Bebook because they support both html and lit. But how good is that support? Can the Astak EZ reader be held and page flipped left-handed? Would it be better to just convert my files and get something else?

Sherry King
Is this your main criteria for selecting your ereader? I know there are a bunch of file converters out there to do this. But what are your criteria for the ereader? Clarity? Ease of use? Maybe you should consider these and others.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've read that LIT support is not terribly good on the BeBook, but LIT is trivially convertable to MobiPocket, which does work well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know the Sony reader 505 is good for lefties. The new ones coming out sound good too.

I've managed to rank what I'm looking for in order of importance--one of those really hard things for me to do since I tend to think in great blobs of everything but the kitchen sink stuff.

Important for eink device (or close equivalent) for sunlight reading:

1. leftie page turn reading possible either with rotate screen or as is.
2. portability
3. no conversion needed (or easy conversion, maybe using Calibre since I have my books in that anyway.)
4. I also like pretty colors like the burgandy jetbook and the new Cool-er reader colors.

Thanks for helping me narrow down my criteria in order of importance. This will probably help me decide as well as narrowing down suggestions.

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would cross off portability, we all want that and pretty much all readers are very portable

If you want, download the Sony software on your PC, and import some of the files you'd like to read to see how they turn out and get Calibre for converting, see how you like it.

Pretty colors- I love them too. I have a blue 505 (dark blue) but I bought some beautiful cloth covers that give my 505 some pizzazz
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know the Sony reader 505 is good for lefties. The new ones coming out sound good too.

I've managed to rank what I'm looking for in order of importance--
4. I also like pretty colors like the burgandy jetbook and the new Cool-er reader colors.

Thanks for helping me narrow down my criteria in order of importance. This will probably help me decide as well as narrowing down suggestions.

Sherry
I have the RED Sony PRS-505 and the color is more like a candy-apple RED - similar to the jetBook color (only metal, not plastic) - gorgeous!!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
color is totally unimportant when you have this site with their high quality skins.......

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,14472.htm
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
color is totally unimportant when you have this site with their high quality skins.......

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,14472.htm
I just received one of their skins for my Blackberry (checker flag), but haven't put it on yet. I noticed on the DecalGirl site they have both Kindle 1 & 2 skins yet only list Sony reader skins in a lump. Has anyone ordered one for a 505? I'm assuming thery cannot fit every Sony as the size and layout are different.

The www.3acp.com site has skins for the Kindles and PRS-700, but not the 500 or 505. I sent them an email and they are only carrying for the 700 right now.

Last edited by F1Wild; 05-28-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like all the skins are for the 505. I saw a couple that I liked, but I'm still pondering that purchase. I'm also considering skins for my phone (lg chocolate) and ipod nano 2g (and my ipod touch, whenever I get that). It WOULD be cute to have them all matching LOL.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like all the skins are for the 505. I saw a couple that I liked, but I'm still pondering that purchase. I'm also considering skins for my phone (lg chocolate) and ipod nano 2g (and my ipod touch, whenever I get that). It WOULD be cute to have them all matching LOL.
Try this link, and look on the left hand side for the different apps.....they have skins for just about anything! And yes, you can get them to match....

http://www.decalgirl.com/
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yep! Thats the website I was talking about. I've found several cute skins. I just might order some.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I thought of the matchie-match myself (although I guess that's no longer envogue), but couldn't find ones I like in both ereader & Blackberry.